Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 01:33 PM

722 posts, read 1,928,600 times

Advertisements

Are you paying a fee for the room rental, in addition to paying for the food? Or is the room rental included with the price of the food?

If you are paying a separate fee for the room rental, and the back room is not as nice as the front room (and is smaller) I would definitely expect to pay less...

If it were me, as long as the back room was adequete for our needs, I would probably continue with the plans, though letting the management know I was NOT happy about it. If they did something to make up for it (discount, throwing in little extras for free, etc). I'd probably just enjoy the party and get on with life.
If they didn't try to make up for it by offering a discount, throwing in a few extras, etc. I'd make sure to let EVERYONE (tell friends, neighbors, write a review on Yelp, etc) I knew about how unhappy I was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 02:35 PM

477 posts, read 738,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
If that's the case, being shifted around wouldn't bother me at all. I'd take the back part and have a great time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereinVA View Post
Are you paying a fee for the room rental, in addition to paying for the food? Or is the room rental included with the price of the food?

If you are paying a separate fee for the room rental, and the back room is not as nice as the front room (and is smaller) I would definitely expect to pay less...

If it were me, as long as the back room was adequete for our needs, I would probably continue with the plans, though letting the management know I was NOT happy about it. If they did something to make up for it (discount, throwing in little extras for free, etc). I'd probably just enjoy the party and get on with life.
If they didn't try to make up for it by offering a discount, throwing in a few extras, etc. I'd make sure to let EVERYONE (tell friends, neighbors, write a review on Yelp, etc) I knew about how unhappy I was.
Looks like I will be doing that. Just forget about it and enjoy. Since wife already checked the back part of the hall and doesn't think to be an issue, I guess I will move forward and reset my mood for the party.

In anycase, I am just not happy. IMO, this is unethical. I will probably complain to some regulatory in VA (not sure if they care) and write up some reviews on yelp, BBB etc.

Also, I will take carlingtonian's suggestion and see if I can complain to fire marshal.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:37 PM

491 posts, read 1,174,043 times
I agree with HEREINVA.

I would go early to the restaurant so you can make sure that tables aren't crowded together, that there's enough room (and check if there's a sign regarding maximum capacity).

Since you and your wife think the front part of the room IS a little nicer, I would tell the manager that you booked based on the looks of the front part and that since you agreed (well--in a way, you're not canceling) to be moved to the back, would he sweeten the agreement, maybe a few bottles of bubbly on the house or some extra appetizers or take 10% or so off the tab. It doesn't hurt to ask.

Yelp is a good idea. I wouldn't file any complaints until after the party, tho!
Are you and the restaurant on Twitter, by any chance? That's another avenue I'd take to complain.
Since BBB is basically an organization where businesses pay to be members, I've never thought it had much "tooth" -- if BBB investigates a business that's not a member, there's no binding resolution; the businesses can just tell them to get lost.

If this restaurant is in Fairfax, the county has a Consumer Affairs Branch. If it turns out there was some illegality involved (like maybe the food or service is not as promised, or you believe they crowded you into a space not suitable for 50 people), you might also want to look there for arbitration.
Consumer Complaint, Mediation & Arbitration Guide*- Fairfax County, Virginia

I really hope the party is a blast for you and that it overshadows your disappointment with the restaurant manager.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:04 PM

264 posts, read 856,292 times
Given what I've read, you should go to the manager now.. they may apologize but you stick to what you expected,, clearly you no longer have the front part so when things get stuck- ask for some consideration given the change in venue and so on- basically a discount. You could move probably with no penalty or you could try for some discount or freebies.. BBB is a joke so are most govn't agencies- yes, we all go there anyway but what they consider a "closed case" is a joke IMO.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:27 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,753,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arabellava View Post
Given what I've read, you should go to the manager now.. they may apologize but you stick to what you expected,, clearly you no longer have the front part so when things get stuck- ask for some consideration given the change in venue and so on- basically a discount. You could move probably with no penalty or you could try for some discount or freebies.. BBB is a joke so are most govn't agencies- yes, we all go there anyway but what they consider a "closed case" is a joke IMO.
Good advice. If you can't get them to cave and put you back in front, at least get some kind of freebie or discount out of them. (Perhaps some comped coffee urns or other food/beverage). Then, if they won't do anything for you, you have even more leverage with the CC company later--because you tried to work out a fair solution and were rebuffed.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:22 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,697,460 times
Unless your contract specified in writing that you would get the front space, you don't have any valid standing in court, and probably not with the credit card company. (Sometimes the CC companies go along just to make the customer happy, but probably not with an expense this high.)

You can show your dissatisfaction to the management by canceling your event, by not booking there again, and/or by negatively reviewing them online.

Since you don't want to cancel (which doesn't sound feasible at this point), I say just make up your mind to enjoy the party. Don't let this glitch ruin the good time that you're investing time and money in. You've already tried to change things, they won't cooperate, so just move forward. You can tell them after the party that you won't be booking again there, and the reason, and then decide whether to criticize them online for this. I would hold off one these two actions until after the party, to prevent them from deciding to give you inadequate service as payback.

Sorry you're facing this, but hope you have a great time anyhow!

Old 11-30-2011, 01:55 PM

117 posts, read 208,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeesfan View Post
Unless your contract specified in writing that you would get the front space, you don't have any valid standing in court, and probably not with the credit card company. (Sometimes the CC companies go along just to make the customer happy, but probably not with an expense this high.)

You can show your dissatisfaction to the management by canceling your event, by not booking there again, and/or by negatively reviewing them online.

Since you don't want to cancel (which doesn't sound feasible at this point), I say just make up your mind to enjoy the party. Don't let this glitch ruin the good time that you're investing time and money in. You've already tried to change things, they won't cooperate, so just move forward. You can tell them after the party that you won't be booking again there, and the reason, and then decide whether to criticize them online for this. I would hold off one these two actions until after the party, to prevent them from deciding to give you inadequate service as payback.

Sorry you're facing this, but hope you have a great time anyhow!
"Since you don't want to cancel (which doesn't sound feasible at this point), I say just make up your mind to enjoy the party. Don't let this glitch ruin the good time that you're investing time and money in. You've already tried to change things, they won't cooperate, so just move forward."

This is good in theory but if you go in and *anything* goes wrong, like say they can't really handle service for that many people (in total) — is this other event booked for the same time as yours? — you are going to be one unhappy camper.

Besides fire code compliance, is there sufficient parking? Concierge parking? Is gratuity included in the price?

Not trying to rain on this otherwise reasonable suggestion, but I might think through how you are going to feel if the service turns out to be less than what you are paying for and you are met with more "attitude".

After-the-fact complaints, imo, truly are a waste of time and energy.

Z
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia