Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2007, 04:01 PM

8 posts, read 22,758 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

This is my first post in this forum.

I am taking up a new job in Sterling, VA and will be relocating from CA. I have a family (myself + wife + daughter). My wife is home maker and daughter is 2+ yr old.

I am basically seeking info/help in my relocation from all of you. Following are my criteria:

1. Suggest a good and safe neighborhood for family living for renting an apartment. My burget wud be around 1K rent per month.
2. Good montessori and then later on pre-school for kid.
3. Willing to commute about 10 miles one way for work.
4. Shopping malls, restaurants near by. Dont want to drive miles for daily needs.

And frankly putting it, I am from India (Asia) and hence look for indians around too.

Thanks in advance for the responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007, 05:22 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,941,346 times
You will find A LOT of people from India all over eastern Loudoun and western Fairfax, so you will feel right at home. There are also plenty of stores in this area. I don't know much about rents, so I don't know which area would fit your budget. The libraries here are excellent; I would recommend finding a place within walking distance of a library. Avoid Sterling Park, it's a crime area. Some parts of Herndon are questionable too. Other than that, the neighborhoods are safe and nice for families. Welcome to Northern Virginia.

Old 11-14-2007, 05:23 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,999,385 times
Well, I always think of Sterling and Potomac Falls (formerly a section of Sterling, super nice). You could also look down 28 (Herndon?, etc.) and down 7 (Leesburg? etc.) I don't know where there would be a particularly high number of Asians, but these would not have low numbers ... You are lucky having a job in Sterling, you basically just can't lose looking in Loudoun and maybe Fairfax county ... if you want to stay at that price, I'd head a bit out route 7.

Old 11-14-2007, 06:40 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,725,942 times
If you want safety, then STAY OUT OF STERLING. It is over run with gangs and illegals who roam the streets breaking into cars and mugging people.

Old 11-14-2007, 11:22 PM

8 posts, read 22,758 times
Thank you for those valuable responses.

I also did some search on the net and found out Ashburn could be an option for me. Any specific inputs on this place? Which neighborhoods are good here?

Thanks again.

Old 11-15-2007, 02:34 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,999,385 times
Sure, that would be good. Others will know neighborhoods in Ashburn better. (We just went to a pediatric dentist in Ashburn who gave us an estimate 5x higher than the second opinion).

Old 11-15-2007, 05:23 AM

76 posts, read 345,402 times
Interestingly, there is a new Montesorri school for infants and toddlers up to age three that is just opening in Cascades in jan called "Lola's Place". It is run the by Boyd's school. I'd also recommend Village Green Day school, located in Lowes Island, it is a great school and they also have a montesorri program.

The crime in this part of Sterling is basically non existent and I have seen a big improvement lately over in Sterling Park. Check your crime stats.

Old 11-15-2007, 05:26 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,941,346 times
Kevin's warning about staying out of Sterling should be amended. Because we don't have actual towns here, Sterling is a very confusing term that is applied to a huge part of eastern Virginia. Sterling PARK is the area with all the crime. There are many areas that are considered part of Sterling that are nowhere near Sterling Park. Generally, if you stay north of Rt. 7, you find a series of great neighborhoods. Look for names like Cascades, Potomac Falls, Countryside, Lowes Island. The closer you get to the Potomac, the nicer the neighborhoods.

Ashburn is really nice, too. There is a tiny amount of petty crime there, mostly near the section that have lots of tiny townhouses and apartments. I know many people who live in "old" Ashburn and that seems like a very nice neighborhood that's also relatively inexpensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia