Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 09:29 AM

47 posts, read 282,215 times

Advertisements

When we move there next year, we are going to be looking at replacing some of our furniture. Does anyone have any suggestions on furniture stores in the area they've had good experiences with? We will be living in the Alexandria area. We aren't looking to buy heirloom-quality stuff or anything since we are military and move around but want something that looks nice and will hold up in moves...not to mention withstanding three kids four and under. We like simple, more modern, yet practical furniture. Will be looking for:

1. Dining room table and chairs and buffet
2. Desk (although will probably get this at IKEA)
3. Furniture for two kids' rooms (bunk beds, dresser, maybe a desk, etc.)

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 10:49 AM

1,266 posts, read 5,613,045 times
We bought a lot of furniture when we moved to the area a year ago. We bought from the Room Store, Belfort, Lay Z Boy and Haverty's. The room store was the only furniture store we had problems with. A lot of the furniture was either damaged or poorly made. We returned a good portion of the furniture from there. Their upholstered furniture was fine, but anything wood was iffy.

So in comparison... we wound up with a dining room set & buffet from The Room Store. I am happy with it (after several pieces were exchanged because they were dinged or dirty). However, you'd do better looking at Haverty's or Belfort. I got a wonderful desk from Belfort. Was pricey, but was exactly what I was looking for.

Old 11-15-2007, 11:23 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,951,973 times
This was my personal experience--YMMV, and I should also note that I don't know anything about the stores in Alexandria. I did most of my shopping in Sterling.

Wood furniture (shelves, etc.): We got some great deals at a store in Chantilly called Oak Post. I haven;t seen ads for it lately so I'm not sure it's still in business.

Couches: Excellent quality at Belfort, but the prices are high. We bought three couches at Jennifer leather (two are leather, one is microsuede). We have been extremely happy with the quality. They take a lot of wear and tear.

A special chair that you will sit on every day for hours at a time: Go to Scan. It's worth the extra $$$ for a chair that will not strain your back.

Dining room and misc. furniture: We bought these things at Room Store, and had a very good experience. Not everyone is as lucky--I have also heard complaints from friends who received dinged furniture. But most of my friends are happy with Room Store. Shop carefully.

If you have time to shop, there are some great upscale second hand stores. I wish I could remember the name of the store in Merrifield, it had beautiful cabinets, desks, and bureaus. Also check out estate sales. Washintgon is a very transitional place for people who tend to buy upscale furniture for the short time they are here (embassy officials, for example). When they move on, you can get a bargain.

I did not like Havertys or Regency. I think Havertys might have improved since then, however, so I would give it a chance if I needed furniture again. Avoid Marlo, their stuff is cheap.

We also have a great Ikea down by Potomac Mills Mall. It's not my style, but they have an excellent selection and my friends who have bought there are very happy with the quality.

Old 11-15-2007, 11:27 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emarsh6719 View Post
When we move there next year, we are going to be looking at replacing some of our furniture. Does anyone have any suggestions on furniture stores in the area they've had good experiences with? We will be living in the Alexandria area. We aren't looking to buy heirloom-quality stuff or anything since we are military and move around but want something that looks nice and will hold up in moves...not to mention withstanding three kids four and under. We like simple, more modern, yet practical furniture. Will be looking for:

1. Dining room table and chairs and buffet
2. Desk (although will probably get this at IKEA)
3. Furniture for two kids' rooms (bunk beds, dresser, maybe a desk, etc.)

Thanks!
actually we just bought two queen size bedroom sets from value city furniture. It looks great and i'm very confident that it will hold up (one of those sets has to support me @ 6'4 275 lbs.) Value City may not be a bad place to look. I'd avoid Nationwide though. The only thing i would feel comfortable buying there is living room stuff.

Old 11-15-2007, 01:02 PM

349 posts, read 1,431,327 times
Actually one of the best places to look is on Craigslist. You'd be amazed what you can find that is in very good condition, since people are constantly moving in this area. I wouldn't get a sofa or mattress because of germ issues, but things like a dining room table, the desk, or dressers would be fine. It's better getting a slightly used piece of good furniture, than some junk that will fall apart from IKEA or WalMart.

Old 11-15-2007, 02:32 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,000,881 times
I like a place called Stanis. They consolidated to a warehouse out near Chantilly. Solid wood pieces, more or less traditional style, low prices.

Old 11-15-2007, 03:20 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,923,464 times
The best furniture store I've ever been to is Hardwood Artisans in Alexandria. They make most of their stuff to order. The prices are comparable to other medium to high-end stores, but the real difference is their passion and commitment to a great product. It might be beyond your price range, but it's worth a look. Their stuff is made to be used, not admired (though we admire it a great deal!), and sufficiently solid to hold up to our household of three active boys.

Old 11-15-2007, 04:34 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,504,944 times
try Marlo furniture

Old 11-15-2007, 07:16 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,479,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
try Marlo furniture
Hmmm. Try THIS with your Marlo dresser. Sometimes a little extra is worth it...

Old 11-16-2007, 11:35 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,504,944 times
Why would I want some old guy with my furniture?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia