Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 01:01 PM

2 posts, read 6,568 times

Advertisements

Afternoon everyone, we are moving to Belvoir soon and wanted to get opinions/suggestions on whether to stay on post or live off. It's just the wife and I with two dogs. Much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 02:25 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,719,093 times
I used to work there but have only seen the post housing from the outside. The officers' quarters look very nice--large detached homes. The NCOs' quarters are similar but a bit smaller. Enlisted quarters are townhouses. I've read that there's a backlog of folks waiting for on-post housing.

The area north of Belvoir (Fairfax County Alexandria) is nice, but the schools I believe are just OK. Springfield, to the west, is an option, but the traffic will be worse. You don't want to live very close to Route 1.

Good luck!

Old 09-18-2013, 02:46 PM

127 posts, read 355,605 times
First of all, I would contact the housing office about the waiting time for housing. If can be a pretty long wait. If it was me, I'd always look off post, especially if you have dogs. I don't know what kinds of dogs you have but they're making it harder and harder to live on post due to breed restrictions.
The only thing that really speaks for living on post is the commute (and if your wife likes to be around other military spouses ) in my opinion.

Old 09-18-2013, 03:08 PM

774 posts, read 1,047,704 times
Definitely check on how long the waiting list is. The wait was over a year when I got here a few years ago. I have no idea what it might be now.

There are some nice areas off rt 1 along with some not so nice ones. There are a couple of nice town home neighborhoods just south of Belvoir on rt 1 just before Telegraph Rd. There's plenty of nice town homes and single family homes in Lorton Station, the Laurel Hill area, and off of Lorton Rd and it's side streets. The only area around there that I'd avoid is the town homes around Hagel Circle.

You can search this forum and you'll find many other possibilities such as Kingstowne, Burke, Lake Ridge, etc.

It really depends on your budget, how long of a commute you're willing to endure, what your work schedule is, and whether you're looking to rent or buy. Also depends on where you'll be working at on post since that may give you options on which gate to use.

Old 09-18-2013, 06:58 PM

499 posts, read 2,156,254 times
I'm stationed at Belvoir. The wait list is pretty long- 18 mos when I inprocessed a year ago. More importantly, the homes aren't worth the BAH you'll surrender for living in them. Add in the dogs, and I definitely think you'd want to look elsewhere.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:23 PM

1,848 posts, read 3,724,411 times
I live right outside Belvoir in Kingstowne, which is a close as you can get without living on base and be in a nice area. As stated the waiting list is long, depending on rank and room requirements. There are some very nice newer places on post, but those have the longest wait. And also as stated you get pretty good allowance here. The average TH in Kingstowne area will run you ~ 2300 - $2700 depending on # of garages etc. Slightly less in Island Creek area which is very close too.

Not sure what kind of dog you have, but that is an issue on post as someone pointed out, but it can also be an issue trying to rent with dogs. Take a look at Militaryby owner and see if you can find rentals that allow dogs. Try zips 22315 and 22310. Places in Kingstowne and Island can move pretty fast, but I am seeing some rental signs.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:51 PM

2 posts, read 6,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slduvall View Post
I live right outside Belvoir in Kingstowne, which is a close as you can get without living on base and be in a nice area. As stated the waiting list is long, depending on rank and room requirements. There are some very nice newer places on post, but those have the longest wait. And also as stated you get pretty good allowance here. The average TH in Kingstowne area will run you ~ 2300 - $2700 depending on # of garages etc. Slightly less in Island Creek area which is very close too.

Not sure what kind of dog you have, but that is an issue on post as someone pointed out, but it can also be an issue trying to rent with dogs. Take a look at Militaryby owner and see if you can find rentals that allow dogs. Try zips 22315 and 22310. Places in Kingstowne and Island can move pretty fast, but I am seeing some rental signs.

Thanks for the good info. If you don't mind me asking, how does your monthly utility bills look like?

Old 09-18-2013, 08:05 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,719,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slduvall View Post
I live right outside Belvoir in Kingstowne, which is a close as you can get without living on base and be in a nice area.
You don't think the area north of the Walker Gate is nice? That whole stretch north of the post and just west of GW Parkway I always thought looked very nice. If they can find a large old house to rent, it could be a good option for them--especially since they have dogs. And the commute would be cake.

Old 09-19-2013, 05:45 AM

1,848 posts, read 3,724,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
You don't think the area north of the Walker Gate is nice? That whole stretch north of the post and just west of GW Parkway I always thought looked very nice. If they can find a large old house to rent, it could be a good option for them--especially since they have dogs. And the commute would be cake.
I do, I sort of forget about that area. Love it there. But I was also thinking TH for this family, no kids. But good point on the dogs. Also access to a slightly nicer shopping area as opposed to Rt 1.

To OP - I live in a SFH in Kingstowne, so my bills might be higher, but I did live 3 years in a TH here, and Electric ran about $175 to $250. We were an end unit with tons of windows, so it got freaking hot on the 3rd floor in the summer. Winter wasn't bad with gas heat, except the really bad one in 09. But I also like my house cold in the summer.

Old 09-19-2013, 03:36 PM

152 posts, read 179,842 times
I'm not sure what your budget is, but I just found a single family house in the 22309 zipcode on Ramsgate Terrace for $2650/month. As someone born and raised in that neighborhood, and who recently sold the family home, I think it's a great area.

Most of the homes in this zip code on the parkway side of Route 1 were built in the early 60's and have 1/4 acre or so yards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia