Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 09:44 PM

41 posts, read 189,514 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My Husbands workplace is Mclean,VA

We are planning to rent out either at Archstone Woodland park in Herndon or Archstone Fairchase in Fairfax depending on the traffic congestion scenario. We know that both routes are congested during peak hrs but still is any one route more busier than the other........ and if anyone has travelled on these routes they can throw their views which are more practical than the mapquest times of travel.

His travel timings are - morning he has to be in office by 8am and evening he can only leave the office after 8.30pm.

Herndon to Mclean: Mostly he will be going on 267E/Dulles toll rd toward washington for about 9.3miles in the morning and same route return back in the late evening.

Fairfax to Mclean: Here there are 2 options,
i) On Rt 66 - 66 E toward DC (6.7m) followed by 495N via ext 64B toward Balitmore(2.8m) in the morning and same route reverse in the evg.

ii) Avoiding Hwy he has take 123N/Chain bridge Rd(6.0m) followed by US-29N for about 3.0m in the morning and reverse route in the evg.

Can he take Rt 66 bcoz he will drive alone?
Can anyone help me out to decide which routes are better during peak hrs comparitively?

Your answers may help us to decide on the apartment.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2007, 05:17 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,000,529 times
Hi (!!!)

I'm going to let others answer this because I'm not an expert ... just some initial reactions:

Yes, he can take that part of 66 alone. I've already said this, but the 66-495 seems like a little bit of a brutal drive; that segment of 66 as you are nearing 495 is always bad; hopefully the 123 cut would be better.

Hmm, 267 is interesting! It hadn't occurred to me he would be able to take the toll road.

Old 11-19-2007, 10:31 AM

352 posts, read 1,592,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vijuchida View Post
Hi,

My Husbands workplace is Mclean,VA

We are planning to rent out either at Archstone Woodland park in Herndon or Archstone Fairchase in Fairfax depending on the traffic congestion scenario. We know that both routes are congested during peak hrs but still is any one route more busier than the other........ and if anyone has travelled on these routes they can throw their views which are more practical than the mapquest times of travel.

His travel timings are - morning he has to be in office by 8am and evening he can only leave the office after 8.30pm.

Herndon to Mclean: Mostly he will be going on 267E/Dulles toll rd toward washington for about 9.3miles in the morning and same route return back in the late evening.

Fairfax to Mclean: Here there are 2 options,
i) On Rt 66 - 66 E toward DC (6.7m) followed by 495N via ext 64B toward Balitmore(2.8m) in the morning and same route reverse in the evg.

ii) Avoiding Hwy he has take 123N/Chain bridge Rd(6.0m) followed by US-29N for about 3.0m in the morning and reverse route in the evg.

Can he take Rt 66 bcoz he will drive alone?
Can anyone help me out to decide which routes are better during peak hrs comparitively?

Your answers may help us to decide on the apartment.

Thanks
Oh Jeebus, take the Herndon one. Fairfax will require you to take I-66, which is jammed solid for the entire 7 mile stretch you're talking about. He can take I-66 - it's only HOV-2 when you're inside the Beltway - but he won't want to. Route 123 from Fairfax to McLean isn't really any better. The 3 miles on I-495 N that's on the list are likewise also solidly jammed every morning.

The Toll Road, though, does move, and we're talking about cutting his commute time from Fairfax to McLean of 60-75 minutes in the teeth of rush hour, to 30-40 minutes on the Toll Road. It's a no brainer - move to Herndon!

Welcome to Northern Virginia!

Old 11-21-2007, 07:15 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times
The toll road is often no bargain either. Fairfax is about 5 miles closer to work and to shopping, Metro, night life, and so forth. All else being equal, you should probably prefer Fairfax over Herndon, but from your 123-to-29 route, I can't figure out how you can either live in Fairfax or work in McLean. Burke and Falls Church would make more sense. In any case, you do NOT want to commute from Fairfax on either 66 or 123. Both are simply horrible during particularly the morning rush. If you could be a little more specific about where the start and end points actually are, there are no doubt routes that do not involve 66 or 123 that you could use and make reasonable time on...

Old 11-22-2007, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
The toll road is often no bargain either. Fairfax is about 5 miles closer to work and to shopping, Metro, night life, and so forth. All else being equal, you should probably prefer Fairfax over Herndon, but from your 123-to-29 route, I can't figure out how you can either live in Fairfax or work in McLean. Burke and Falls Church would make more sense. In any case, you do NOT want to commute from Fairfax on either 66 or 123. Both are simply horrible during particularly the morning rush. If you could be a little more specific about where the start and end points actually are, there are no doubt routes that do not involve 66 or 123 that you could use and make reasonable time on...
Saganista, there is a thread on page 3 of this board that starts "Any shortlisted apartments ... " where we ran through her scenarios. Basically the job is at Freddie Mac and the Fairfax apartment is near Fair Oaks/Penderbrook (this is after a lot of vetting, a lot of searching, a lot of suggestions; didn't think of Burke specifically though). I had recommended 123 as an alternate to the 66-495 scenario, but it doesn't surprise me that 123 might be a mess as well. Too bad. There seem to be other 'back road' options.

Old 11-22-2007, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenmom7500 View Post
Saganista, there is a thread on page 3 of this board that starts "Any shortlisted apartments ... " where we ran through her scenarios. Basically the job is at Freddie Mac and the Fairfax apartment is near Fair Oaks/Penderbrook (this is after a lot of vetting, a lot of searching, a lot of suggestions; didn't think of Burke specifically though). I had recommended 123 as an alternate to the 66-495 scenario, but it doesn't surprise me that 123 might be a mess as well. Too bad. There seem to be other 'back road' options.
Ah, missed all that...two weeks in Germany the first half of the month. Freddie Mac is tough no matter what, but from there, I would try sneaking out Spring Hill to Lewinsville, then down Great Falls to West Street in Falls Church, and over to Lee Highway. At Fairfax Circle, you have the choice of 29/50 or Old Lee Highway to 236 through Fairfax, either way ending up on 29 heading out to the Government Center area. Probably 17-18 miles all told, and maybe 45 minutes. Not familiar with the complex in particular, but there are some very nice ones in the area, all close to shopping etc. Both the Vienna and Dunn Loring Metro stations would be within a 20-25 minute range also.

As for 123, you can count on it being a bumper-to-bumper crawl in the morning from the west side of Oakton through Vienna to Courthouse Road just short of Tysons. One of the worst stretches around. Lee Highway can get heavy at times, but there's not much comparison to 123...

Old 11-22-2007, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Ah, missed all that...two weeks in Germany the first half of the month. Freddie Mac is tough no matter what, but from there, I would try sneaking out Spring Hill to Lewinsville, then down Great Falls to West Street in Falls Church, and over to Lee Highway. At Fairfax Circle, you have the choice of 29/50 or Old Lee Highway to 236 through Fairfax, either way ending up on 29 heading out to the Government Center area. Probably 17-18 miles all told, and maybe 45 minutes. Not familiar with the complex in particular, but there are some very nice ones in the area, all close to shopping etc. Both the Vienna and Dunn Loring Metro stations would be within a 20-25 minute range also.

As for 123, you can count on it being a bumper-to-bumper crawl in the morning from the west side of Oakton through Vienna to Courthouse Road just short of Tysons. One of the worst stretches around. Lee Highway can get heavy at times, but there's not much comparison to 123...
You're like an encyclopedia.

But ... what about leaving very early or very late? I know lots of people who leave at 4:30AM. 5:30AM used to work (not for this specific route, but still ...) Has it gotten this bad?

Old 11-22-2007, 10:39 AM

At 5:00 or 10:00 in the morning, the traffic should have rather negligible effects. I frequently do the latter, but have tried to avoid the former, at least since the days of taking my kids to swim practice...

Old 11-22-2007, 04:23 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,572,686 times
The commute between Woodland Park and Jones Branch Drive is the shortest and easiest route. Both locations are one block south of the Dulles Toll Road. They're located close to the toll road exits at Centreville Rd in Herndon and International Dr in Tysons Corner, respectively.

Old 11-22-2007, 08:42 PM

158 posts, read 600,828 times
On a completely random note, I had a job at Tyson's Corner Center as a security job and on my first full day of work out of training, I had my car stolen from the 5th level of a parking tower and demolished in a car chase that ended in Mt. Vernon.

I still can't believe that, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia