Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2007, 03:46 AM

1 posts, read 4,200 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving to South Riding in a few months. I work in DC and know that would be a commute. However I have a flexible schedule and can get to work at 7 am like I do now. I also would probably take the metro at Vienna station on Nutley. So, my commute would really be from South Riding to Nutley St in Vienna. For anyone who knows, How bad would that commute be around 6 AM?

Also, does it have a suburban feel to it or is it very country? Are so, are there places close by that have some of the amenities like chain restaurants (e.g., Olive Garden), etc?

(Thanks in advance!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2007, 05:11 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,998,710 times
Hi,

I barely know South Riding (but nice area, good choice) ... I was just going to say that the people who really want to beat rush hour would leave a little bit earlier. I know one person who leaves around 5AM from Potomac Falls to get on route 7. At least you are done sooner, right?

Old 05-01-2012, 03:00 PM

66 posts, read 125,502 times
South Riding has a very weird feel. I have heard it described as having all the problems of the city with all the inconvienience of the country. It seems like the developers packed every bit of Fairfax they could into a pocket of farmland. I'm not sure if I would describe it as suburban or not, but it's certainly not rural.

Old 05-01-2012, 03:17 PM

22 posts, read 59,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladymoving7 View Post
For anyone who knows, How bad would that commute be around 6 AM? Also, does it have a suburban feel to it or is it very country? Are so, are there places close by that have some of the amenities like chain restaurants (e.g., Olive Garden), etc?

(Thanks in advance!)
At 6 AM, you shouldn't have any issues unless there is an accident. Yes, they are working on widening US 50 right now between South Riding and Chantilly...but two lanes are generally open all the time and you shouldn't be impacted much by that other than the weaving back-and-forth of the construction zone. Commute to Vienna metro from South Riding should run you 20-40 minutes depending on how you drive and traffic on any given day (lean toward the longer time most of the time, but sometimes I am pleasantly surprised if it is very early).

South Riding is semi-suburban but bordering country. Many of the amenities that were supposed to come got cancelled when the economy went sour. Still, there are several restaurants (Ruby Tuesday being the main sit-down 'chain', but there are also some great local restaurants in the neighborhood), three grocery stores, and it's VERY walkable. It's not too far (but a drive) to a recently-opened Walmart and slightly-older Target at the intersection of 28 and 50 in Chantilly. It'd be nice if all those other amenities had made it in the South Riding/Arcola area, but things aren't bad as it is other than, sometimes, the traffic.

Old 05-01-2012, 06:36 PM

199 posts, read 672,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarednova View Post
Many of the amenities that were supposed to come got cancelled when the economy went sour.
That stuff didn't get cancelled, just postponed. The Arcola Center - Home is still coming, it may just be slow with the recovering economy.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:02 PM

448 posts, read 870,075 times
^^^ the link for Arcola Center is dead

Old 05-01-2012, 07:23 PM

199 posts, read 672,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid View Post
^^^ the link for Arcola Center is dead
hmm...works for me.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:26 PM

448 posts, read 870,075 times
^^^hmmm, wasn't working a few minutes ago. Never mind...

The section on the Slave Quarters is very interesting

Old 05-01-2012, 10:01 PM

505 posts, read 764,902 times
Depending on where you are going in DC and what your work schedule is the Loudoun county commuter bus might be faster than driving plus metro. You can pick it up from either Dulles North (15 min drive from South Riding) or Dulles South (10 min drive from South Riding).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia