Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 10:01 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,968,297 times

Advertisements

The Oktoberfest can easily turn into a loooooooong afternoon. The past few years have been extremely crowded, and we've easily spent 4-5 hours there eating, drinking, and socializing with friends. There is no real seating (just curbs unless you go into the restaurants), so you are standing for a long period of time. I think it is ambitious to expect you can walk the 3 miles back after such a long afternoon (especially with a healthy pumpkin beer buzz going on )

I would definitely look up bus routes and/or plan for a quick taxi ride for the way back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 10:26 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,267,848 times
Yeah I don't understand why anyone would walk either. It sounds cheap and silly. Its a $15 cab ride and as mentioned there are several buses that meet in Shirlington. This is intentional since Shirlington doesn't have a metro.

With all that said the Crystal City metro is closest. It also has the most bus lines going to Shirlington.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:43 AM

1,449 posts, read 3,177,607 times
interesting - pentagon used to be where most shirlington busses ran to/from. I haven't lived there in 10 years, though - things change.

I'm not really saying it's cheap and silly to walk. I think a longer walk sounds lovely in nice weather, honestly - If you can take trails and avoid the busy roads, it would be worth it on the way there. I was thinking more of the END of a day like that. CaliTerp pointed out what I was trying to say already.

If the busses are too confusing, a cab ride is definitely an option. It will be slightly more expensive than the bus, but it isn't going to break you, either.

Old 10-01-2013, 11:01 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,159,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
Yeah I don't understand why anyone would walk either. It sounds cheap and silly.
What can I say, we like to take long walks. I like the idea of getting exercise, and thought maybe it could be an interesting part of town to walk through. However, now that we've thought about it a little more it sounds like it would be more interesting to walk around Shirlington rather than walking to it. The bikeshare idea might be a good one, since we could still get some exercise that way. Not sure how it ould be riding a bike after having a few beers, though.

Old 10-01-2013, 11:37 AM

shirlington and the surrounding areas are nice to walk around. I used to walk back through fairlington and parkfairfax a lot when we lived off of walter reed. And there is a rather large park area nearby, too.

I just found this image - hope it helps! Google Image Result for http://www.walkarlington.com/tasks/sites/Walk/assets/Image/Walkabout_maps/Fairlington-Shirlington435.jpg

Old 10-01-2013, 12:35 PM

153 posts, read 307,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
What can I say, we like to take long walks. I like the idea of getting exercise, and thought maybe it could be an interesting part of town to walk through. However, now that we've thought about it a little more it sounds like it would be more interesting to walk around Shirlington rather than walking to it. The bikeshare idea might be a good one, since we could still get some exercise that way. Not sure how it ould be riding a bike after having a few beers, though.

If it were me I'd ride a bike share there from the Crystal City Metro via the Mt. Vernon Trail to 4 Mile Run Trail. Very scenic! The beauty of bike share is you don't have to return the bikes where you got em so you would be free to take alternative transportation (bus, taxi) back if you wanted.

Old 10-01-2013, 05:30 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,289,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilsmom View Post
Hmm, I think this plan is rather nuts and would recommend you look into the bus schedules. There is a big bus stop in Shirlington now and a bunch of lines run there. It might be better for AFTER the beer, but please keep it as an option.
I agree. There have also been muggings and assaults at the Braddock Road metro at night - the neighborhood is not as safe as it looks at night. A couple of happy drunks staggering to the metro at 1 am look pretty tempting to muggers.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:45 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,537,973 times
Take the damn bus

Old 10-02-2013, 11:11 AM

did you see this?
How to Get to the Shirlington Oktoberfest - 2013 - YouTube

they talk about busses, walking and biking. ART Busses and Metrobusses from multiple locations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia