Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 10:54 AM

254 posts, read 423,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Wow - wouldn't it just be easier to not do anything wrong?
They see me rollin'
They hatin'
Patrollin'
And tryin. to catch me ridin. dirty.

But to be serious, it is easier said than done. I have experienced the craziest of tickets. Not stopping long enough at a stop sign (when there is no one at the intersection) is considered a rolling stop. Riding with the traffic that is all going over the speed limit ends up with me getting the ticket. The worst is when I was walking back to my parked car that just expired less than a minute earlier and I saw a cop writing a ticket. I mean that is messed up. He had to have been watching the clock tick away hoping that the owner (me) wouldn't show up in time. Pretty sure I would have gotten a ticket even if I was in the car and the engine was started and was in reverse gear haha!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 11:05 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,249,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCmum View Post
Thank you, I will try this. Do I have to speak to the cop who pulled me over?

Yes. Usually CWL only applies to things such as No OL in Possession or No Registration in Possession. But I've asked the prosecutors or judges to CWL on cases like yours when the person had a good record.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:07 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,249,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
The tickets will be cheap compared to what the inspection may uncover. Those folks always find something that needs to be repaired. If you go to court, be prepared to answer the judge when asked why you didn't know the inspection was over due when you stare at the inspection sticker every time you drive your car.

Bull. Find a good reputable shop and stick with them.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:13 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,400,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecart1 View Post
They see me rollin'
They hatin'
Patrollin'

But to be serious, it is easier said than done. I have experienced the craziest of tickets. Not stopping long enough at a stop sign (when there is no one at the intersection) is considered a rolling stop. Riding with the traffic that is all going over the speed limit ends up with me getting the ticket. The worst is when I was walking back to my parked car that just expired less than a minute earlier and I saw a cop writing a ticket. I mean that is messed up. He had to have been watching the clock tick away hoping that the owner (me) wouldn't show up in time. Pretty sure I would have gotten a ticket even if I was in the car and the engine was started and was in reverse gear haha!
It's not that you didn't stop long enough. It's that you didn't come to a complete stop - as in your wheels continue to move. You can slooooow down enough so that it seems like you stopped, but really, your wheels did not come to a complete stop and therefore it is a "rolling stop".

I go through multiple stop signs on my home, and I see this all the time. It's rare that someone actually comes to a complete stop when there is no cross traffic. Watch their tires, and you'll see that they don't stop rolling.

Old 10-09-2013, 12:11 PM

2,380 posts, read 4,517,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Bull. Find a good reputable shop and stick with them.
+1 to that. The only inspection I've ever had a problem with was when the tires really *WERE* going bald. So I got a new set of tires and rolled with the Ghostbuster sticker for a few days until I got a new inspection done.

Old 10-09-2013, 12:47 PM

1,339 posts, read 3,467,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Wow - wouldn't it just be easier to not do anything wrong?
My thoughts exactly!!!!

Old 10-09-2013, 12:49 PM

1,339 posts, read 3,467,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecart1 View Post
They see me rollin'
They hatin'
Patrollin'

You are kidding, right? Every single instance you have quoted is breaking the rules/law!

Old 10-09-2013, 02:34 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,964,041 times
My husband (then boyfriend) got a dead inspection/tags ticket on our first date. We were actually pulled over twice but since he had already received one the cop couldn't give him another one. He went and had his car inspected and renewed the tags and the ticket was dropped. Mind you that was 16 years ago.

Old 10-09-2013, 02:48 PM

15,436 posts, read 25,826,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCmum View Post
He was driving in front of me lol so I guess he ran my plates on his computer or something because there is no way he could've known they were expired by driving in front of me. He probably ran them and then pulled aside to let me pass him and stop me right away
They do have license plate scanners on some cop cars, but it's more likely he could see your stickers on the windshield were expired.

Old 10-09-2013, 02:51 PM

957 posts, read 2,023,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
The tickets will be cheap compared to what the inspection may uncover. Those folks always find something that needs to be repaired. <snip>
I've had all sorts of cars and motorcycles inspected from new to old. I'd estimate I've had a vehicle inspected in Virginia at least 60 times. Only two issues ever:

1 - License plate light not working (valid problem, and fixed on the spot for $14)
2 - Dealer put the wrong recall emissions sticker on my car (multiple models were recalled for a fix to a piece of emissions equipment, and they were supposed to apply a sticker showing the update, but they applied one for a different model). I didn't actually fail that one, they pointed it out and sent me back to the dealer.

If anyone finds that there is always something that needs repaired, I would suggest either (whichever one applies) 1) Find a more reputable shop or 2)Try to better maintain your vehicle.

That said, there are valid points that a small handful of the inspection components don't contribute to safety (my favorite is if there is a light on the vehicle it has to work -- so your car doesn't need fog lights, but if it has them, they have to work. Not sure why)

For anyone who has their inspection or registration expired in Loudoun, better take care of it now. Come early November when you are required to have the new property tax sticker on, you can count on checkpoints, so: 1- Make sure registration is updated and stickers on the plate; 2 - Make sure inspection is updated; 3 - Make sure green 2014 personal property tax sticker is on the vehicle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia