Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 01:40 PM

294 posts, read 373,050 times

Advertisements

I guess I will take off tomorrow morning and go get the inspections done and then go to get my VA driver's license.

I may have to hold off on the registration thing for another few weeks just due to being absolutely broke. My pay got screwed up at my last job before my move, so I took out a loan against my car to pay my relocation. Then, since my luck is amazing, I had an issue with my pay getting started on time at my new job. I am about tapped out.

Actually, that reminds me....since I took a loan against my car, does that complicate the titling/registration process? Is taking in proof of the loan I have good enough for the titling so I can then register with no problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 02:03 PM

148 posts, read 297,304 times
Most states do not refund you the excess. Maryland seems to be one of those states that is nice like that, but Virginia is not Maryland thankfully. I personally would wait to until your current plates expire. If you happen to get pulled over, then just state that you just moved here and get the warning. There is no way that Virginia or any state for that matter can prove when you moved, nor would they put that much effort into it.

I don't know how title loans work, have always heard they were a bad deal, but it seems like you had no choice. The odds of you getting pulled over for a valid out of state tag are small, so get your finances in order. This area has a huge transient population, and as long as your driver's license and vehicle registration/insurance match, you will be fine.

Old 10-14-2013, 02:54 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,960,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BT Lover View Post
Most states do not refund you the excess. Maryland seems to be one of those states that is nice like that, but Virginia is not Maryland thankfully.
I meant if you still have a sizable length of time on your former registration, it's worth seeing if you can get some of it back from your previous state. I wasn't implying that Virginia was going to buy off his/her Wisconsin tags.

OP, if money is so tight then wait a month or two until your old pay gets sorted out. The whole process may end up costing several hundred dollars. No sense in taking out a loan for that when you have 2 months to get it done.

Old 10-14-2013, 06:50 PM

15,446 posts, read 25,884,295 times
Quote:
Most states do not refund you the excess. Maryland seems to be one of those states that is nice like that, but Virginia is not Maryland thankfully.
MD was just an example. I missed which state the OP came from. They should try to find out though.

Quote:
I personally would wait to until your current plates expire. If you happen to get pulled over, then just state that you just moved here and get the warning. There is no way that Virginia or any state for that matter can prove when you moved, nor would they put that much effort into it.
Is it a good idea to advise a new resident, starting their new life in Virginia, to lie to an officer of the law? Do you want more and more of them to move here? What will happen to this great state if we encourage that? Regardless of whether they avoid a ticket, they are still playing games with their insurance, and breaking tax laws. That's not a good way to start out in the commonwealth.

Quote:
I don't know how title loans work, have always heard they were a bad deal, but it seems like you had no choice. The odds of you getting pulled over for a valid out of state tag are small, so get your finances in order. This area has a huge transient population, and as long as your driver's license and vehicle registration/insurance match, you will be fine.
I still don't think he should do this, but you're probably correct that he won't get caught. Of course, past threads have discussed neighbors turning in those doing the above, and police cars, with their tag readers, finding the car parked every night in Virginia, and other ways that people have been caught doing this.

Old 10-14-2013, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiplingif View Post
I guess I will take off tomorrow morning and go get the inspections done and then go to get my VA driver's license.

I may have to hold off on the registration thing for another few weeks just due to being absolutely broke. My pay got screwed up at my last job before my move, so I took out a loan against my car to pay my relocation. Then, since my luck is amazing, I had an issue with my pay getting started on time at my new job. I am about tapped out.

Actually, that reminds me....since I took a loan against my car, does that complicate the titling/registration process? Is taking in proof of the loan I have good enough for the titling so I can then register with no problem?
You have 60 days to figure this out, so it's understandable that you can't get it done right away. About that loan: do you have the title to the car? If you don't that will complicate things. I'm sure there's a way to do this, and you just need to find out how.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:31 PM

148 posts, read 297,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
MD was just an example. I missed which state the OP came from. They should try to find out though.

Is it a good idea to advise a new resident, starting their new life in Virginia, to lie to an officer of the law? Do you want more and more of them to move here? What will happen to this great state if we encourage that? Regardless of whether they avoid a ticket, they are still playing games with their insurance, and breaking tax laws. That's not a good way to start out in the commonwealth.

I still don't think he should do this, but you're probably correct that he won't get caught. Of course, past threads have discussed neighbors turning in those doing the above, and police cars, with their tag readers, finding the car parked every night in Virginia, and other ways that people have been caught doing this.
I am not sure why you feel that what others do will affect you? I commend you for the amount of guilt that you carry with following the law to a T, and you are probably the person that follows all the speed limits as well, but most of us don't move from another state at a time that is convenient, so you either pay double the taxes on the same property (which the cost of registering a car is pretty high in VA and MD where I think you were from) because you aren't going to get that money back, or wait until one registration lapses. You don't need the title to register a car. You just have to state who owns the title on the car. I presume that the title would belong to the title loan company as it would be no different than a loan existing on a car. I am sure that there are plenty of people who are nosy enough to report their neighbors for having out of state plates, that have a holier than though attitude, but I think the majority of us here could really care less if someone waits an extra few months to register a car. It doesn't hurt me, does it really hurt you? If you get caught, you get caught, but again, is it your concern? It is funny how there are so many stories about people getting caught, yet I know a lot of people and not one of them has had a story like that. Odd.

Old 10-15-2013, 05:07 AM

24 posts, read 37,635 times
We just registered our cars to Virginia, the process is no joke so make sure you bring everything! As my hubby said we should have brought the filing cabinet. So here is what you need:

Current license so you won't gave to take any tests for new one
Bring your passport or marriage certificate if your name is different, meaning married or had a name change
Bring a house bill of some sort to prove you live at address

Emission and safety not required at registered but as stated saves a trip, advice have it done prior to going. Cost for both is $44
Bring current registration card and insurance card
Bring bill of sales to prove you paid taxes, one vehicle we needed other they didn't ask, otherwise you could pay taxes again
You car must be retitled to VA. If you own car bring title, if not call your lien holder and ask them to send copy to VA DMV. When you get to DMV, they will retitle and send copy back to lien holder. If you own you will get new title on the spot. If you forget or dont have ownership title you can register but they will put a hold on the title until you bring it in.
Getting odometer reading prior to going inside, you will need vin # too but should be on current registration card. You also need date purchased, should be on bill of sales
You will have to fill out form A17 found online or you will get copy when you check in. You will gave time to complete forms unless you are the first few in line.
MAKE SURE you tell check in person you are getting new license and new tag, they may give you 1 ticket but may give 2 tickets since they view it as 2 transactions.
If you want a personalized tag be sure to go online at DMV to see if available, and no you cannot reserve as it states online since not a VA plate holder. Also know what tag you want, some cistern more than others.
Registering for 2yrs will save $2 and time.
Check your DMV hours and waiting time online, only some are open on Saturdays. It will take about 45 minutes to process license and plates, minus waiting time.

Think I have included everything, good luck

Old 10-15-2013, 06:52 AM

Quote:
I am not sure why you feel that what others do will affect you? I commend you for the amount of guilt that you carry with following the law to a T, and you are probably the person that follows all the speed limits as well, but most of us don't move from another state at a time that is convenient, so you either pay double the taxes on the same property (which the cost of registering a car is pretty high in VA and MD where I think you were from) because you aren't going to get that money back, or wait until one registration lapses. You don't need the title to register a car. You just have to state who owns the title on the car. I presume that the title would belong to the title loan company as it would be no different than a loan existing on a car. I am sure that there are plenty of people who are nosy enough to report their neighbors for having out of state plates, that have a holier than though attitude, but I think the majority of us here could really care less if someone waits an extra few months to register a car. It doesn't hurt me, does it really hurt you? If you get caught, you get caught, but again, is it your concern? It is funny how there are so many stories about people getting caught, yet I know a lot of people and not one of them has had a story like that. Odd.
You've totally misread me. Whatever. The poster is going to do whatever he or she is going to do. It doesn't affect me. However, I give the correct advice. That's all. Advising people to lie is not good advice no matter how you slice it.

Old 05-23-2014, 06:30 PM

294 posts, read 373,050 times
I only just got around to doing this today. Pretty straight-forward, and they didn't even ask about my move date. Thus, I only paid the regular registration fee. Happy times. Now if I could only find the right-sized screws to put the front plate on....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia