Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 10:12 AM

9 posts, read 18,203 times

Advertisements

I'm moving into a condo very shortly in Reston. New to the area. Explored the area and seems like a nice community. Lot's of trails, lakes, restaurants, shopping, etc. I strolled through Reston Town Center real quick and it looks pretty cool.

What's the must knows for a newcomer to this area?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2013, 11:08 AM

1,449 posts, read 3,171,577 times
I have no advice, except to say enjoy your new condo and town. I loved living in Reston and we still go there from time to time (mostly the Town Center). We would have happily stayed, but a SFH there wasn't in our budget, so we moved a few miles down the Parkway.

The proximity to so many things there is great. The trails, pools and parks are wonderful. Go to the Farmer's Market at Lake Anne (we used to walk there from North Point). Use the Community Center - but if they don't have a class free (they fill up quick), jump on over to Herndon Community Center for similar prices.

Old 10-13-2013, 12:33 PM

1,339 posts, read 3,466,823 times
You never know when you'll run into Sasquatch... ...always keep your autograph book handy!

Old 10-13-2013, 02:32 PM

74 posts, read 95,361 times
Ditto hilsmom. Reston is a great place. Buy a bicycle and you pedal all the way to Pittsburgh. And, yeah, I hate that Sasquatch.

Old 10-13-2013, 04:36 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,142,497 times
About the only thing you need to worry about in Reston, is South Lakes High School appears symmetric with entrances and parking. So it is easy to forget where you parked on back to school night. That's about your biggest worry, unless you want to change the facade on your condo... In other words, no worries, be happy.

Old 10-13-2013, 04:45 PM

I meant to say that you "can" pedal all the way to Pittsburgh. There are bike paths everywhere, and you really can go that far. You might want to get an autograph from Robert E. Simon as I think he can still be seen walking around.

Old 10-13-2013, 04:58 PM

254 posts, read 423,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetaltoMetal View Post
I meant to say that you "can" pedal all the way to Pittsburgh. There are bike paths everywhere, and you really can go that far. You might want to get an autograph from Robert E. Simon as I think he can still be seen walking around.
When I was in Pittsburgh for work, my coworker used to take the trail from Pittsburgh to MD/VA. I thought he was insane. Maybe this is what people do these days?

Old 10-13-2013, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecart1 View Post
When I was in Pittsburgh for work, my coworker used to take the trail from Pittsburgh to MD/VA. I thought he was insane. Maybe this is what people do these days?
The trail in PA is relatively new. Laurel Highlands. Maybe about 5 years, so it must be catching on. Then they get onto the C&O at Cumberland, then the Custis, W&OD, etc. Insane distance for sure.

Old 10-13-2013, 07:30 PM

2,090 posts, read 4,247,503 times
Welcome to Reston!

Favorite Reston Restaurant - Cafesano
Cafesano | Italian & Mediterranean Restaurant in Reston, VA

Reston News Sources
Reston, VA Patch - Local news, community, sports, shopping, restaurants, things to do
Restonian: News blog from Reston, Virginia, the mauve-colored New Town (tm)

Reston Runners
Reston Runners

Reston Bike Club
The New Reston Bike Club Website - Reston Bike Club

Reston Interactive Map
Reston Association - Interactive Map Guide

Reston Home Tour (October 19th)
RHT Museum Shop - Reston Homes Tour

Reston Community Center
Reston Community Center

Reston/Herndon Activities & Fitness Meet Up
The Reston/Herndon Fitness & Activities Group (Reston, VA) - Meetup
(There are LOTS of Meet Ups for all different interests centered around Reston)

Old 10-13-2013, 08:42 PM

947 posts, read 1,402,193 times
Be very afraid of mentioning the word "Reston" anywhere on CD's Pittsburgh forum (inside joke).

JfromReston hit all the high points, especially with his Reston news sources. The "Restonian" website is a hilarious take on the quirks of this place. I second the recommendation of Cafesano. There are a lot of good restaurants in Town Center, and a nice little Thai restaurant that opened fairly recently by the Home Depot at Baron Cameron and Reston Parkway. If you walk around the original town center in Lake Anne, you might run into Reston's founding father, Robert E. Simon, still going strong at 99.

Do be aware that the opening in a few months of Metro's Silver Line, whose terminus will be in Reston for the next several years, will probably generate a lot of additional traffic in morning and evening rush hour. New, denser development, and shaping the form it will take, promises to be a major issue for Reston in the future.

Welcome to Reston
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia