Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 01:27 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,748,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
Just curious: what is the longevity of the titanium liner vs the clay liner and cost?

This is a good point to keep in mind -- the venting for whichever system the OP chooses.
I don't remember, but I'm sure we would have chosen a new ceramic liner if the price had been a lot less. I would assume the Ti liner lasts a long time, since Ti doesn't corrode and there's no mortar to crumble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 10:21 AM

232 posts, read 362,716 times
Bigfoot - did you move forward with quotes? I would be interested as I am thinking of converting my wood fireplace to gas as well. Thanks!!

Old 11-13-2013, 03:09 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,282,283 times
leavingwash. I have not. A couple other bills have come up first but I am still considering it.

Old 03-28-2014, 01:45 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,985,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
Mmmm, we did the opposite --- converted a gas log fireplace back to wood-burning. We hired a local HVAC guy since he needed to cap the lines and check everything.

As far as permits, it differs per city/county. A phone call to the county or city hall -- they can tell you.
May I ask why? Was it the odor or the efficiency? I am inquiring because I'm currently renting a house that has gas logs and the smell is bothering me. I think that's what triggered a bad headache this morning. The first time I used it (quite by accident..hit the remote, not knowing what it was!) dust and smoke filled the house, setting off the smoke alarm.

The owner called the propane company, but the tech who showed up said it was a "timing problem." He also repositioned the logs. Whatever adjustment he made did nothing. In fact, I smell it even more now, so I'll keep the sliding glass door cracked in the living area. I don't smell a thing in the bedrooms. Hate to waste the owner's heat (although I have the thermostat set to 60F) but I took 3 Motrin this morning.

This is actually a positive experience for me, since I've been encouraged to buy a house with a gas log fireplace and I might be too sensitive to the additive that causes the odor. In any case, I searched on City-Data for threads on gas log fireplaces, hoping to find some answers. I'm wondering if turning off the pilot will help, but I don't want to fool around with gas, and I'm not sure that will keep fumes from entering the home. As one poster said, gas is a lot simpler to use, but I also like the smell of real burning wood (and a few crackles now & then) This is only a short-term rental, so I also have the option to leave.

Old 03-28-2014, 07:41 PM

232 posts, read 362,716 times
I wonder if it is a smell that only comes on during initial use after a long period of non-use? I know my brother had a gas fireplace with a blower and the first time every season there would be more of a smell and then later...nothing.

Would also highly recommend that you ensure that you have and are actively using a carbon dioxide monitor. That way if there is any leaking gas you will have the alert and stay safe!

Good luck

Old 03-30-2014, 12:42 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,985,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingwash View Post
I wonder if it is a smell that only comes on during initial use after a long period of non-use? I know my brother had a gas fireplace with a blower and the first time every season there would be more of a smell and then later...nothing.

Would also highly recommend that you ensure that you have and are actively using a carbon dioxide monitor. That way if there is any leaking gas you will have the alert and stay safe!

Good luck
When I lived in Florida, after 8 months of using the a/c, I sometimes needed the electric heat, and dust on the coils burning off would smell for a few minutes. But this is different. Not only did the smoke and dust set off the smoke alarm, but I continue to feel lightheaded when I'm in the living room. It's a very pretty home used for vacation rentals, but I'm guessing the gas logs are old and the lack of use could be contributing to this problem. OTOH I might just be very sensitive to the chemical additives. On another thread about the area, some posters thought it might be the change in elevation or the weather that is giving me a bad headache, but I'm fine in the bedroom with the door closed. Then I get up to make coffee and, within 5 minutes, I start to feel ill again. I don't like to waste energy, but I'll just use the electric heat and open a window for ventilation when I'm in the living/kitchen area until I leave tomorrow. Thanks for the advice on the carbon monoxide monitor. If I were staying longer, I'd make the investment. Still, it's probably a good idea to install one in every home with oil or gas heat & appliances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia