Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 01:19 PM

232 posts, read 362,677 times

Advertisements

I believe that it is more of a "training" issue and if you could work with the owner to get someone knowledgeable involved most likely there would be no further issue. Not the same thing, and not to negate what happened your child, but there was a "similar" issue on Dog Whisperer and it was a different breed - but similar. The dog would chase bikes or cars - it was more fear based than aggression. As another poster indicated, the dog was probably not socialized correctly and certain things are triggering a fear reaction. Muzzling the dog when in public is another great option which would allow the family to keep their "family member" while also protecting the neighbors...this of course assumes that the owner is responsible enough to work with you. Which I would hope is the case so that a dog does not get put down needlessly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 01:33 PM

104 posts, read 171,466 times
Since your child could have been seriously injured and another child might be hurt something needs to be done whether it is training, a good fence, a muzzle AND an giant Mea Culpa from the owner! No animal that bites or does harm to a child can be ignored.

Old 10-28-2013, 01:51 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,281,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
Arm your kid with some pepper spray and the next time it happens the dog will think twice about it.
Not necessarily true. We tested, numerous times, the effects of OC on police dogs. Granted they (police K9's) are more driven but OC (pepper spray) did not stop a single dog. We tested about 50 total. We filled large rooms with the stuff and i mean a lot. I put a decoy on a 3rd floor and every dog easily worked through this and made the apprehension. I always to tell people that OC may or may not stop a dog. Most dogs likely but no guarantees.

Old 10-28-2013, 01:54 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,281,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
A weiner dog that goes bad will nip your hand. A pit bull(or other large super aggressive dog) can go for your kid's throat. If you look at dog fatalities you'll see its not weiner dogs. I have family members who own pit bulls and are super defensive about them. I know it's pointless to get into arguments about it. For some reason they seem unable to grasp the simple concept that their dog is more dangerous than most because of the damage it can inflict. An owner of a big dog like that needs to be extremely responsible with how they train and control it. Any dog owner should be responsible but the owner of a shi tzu isn't walking around with a potentially deadly weapon.

Again, pit bulls are not bad dogs. I'm not making a statement about your pit. However, they get the pub they do because when they go bad it can end very, very badly.
Really? You may not know the damage small dogs can do to people, especially kids. Yes a Pit, or any large dog may do more damage quicker but small can and DO cause some serious damage.

Old 10-28-2013, 02:02 PM

2,189 posts, read 3,324,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Really? You may not know the damage small dogs can do to people, especially kids. Yes a Pit, or any large dog may do more damage quicker but small can and DO cause some serious damage.
We can argue how much damage a weiner dog can do if you want, but it doesn't change my point. Large dogs are far more dangerous when they turn. Especially dogs like pits or rotties because of their incredible bite power. I don't even understand why this concept causes so many people to argue. Seems so simple.

Worst case scenario if your kid is attacked by an improperly trained weiner dog : nasty wound and stitches.

Worst case scenario if your kid is attacked by an improperly trained pit/rottie : lets not even talk about it

Old 10-28-2013, 02:37 PM

1,533 posts, read 2,273,309 times
Yes Christine that was my point. I believe the bite should be reported.

Old 10-28-2013, 03:26 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,596,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
We can argue how much damage a weiner dog can do if you want, but it doesn't change my point. Large dogs are far more dangerous when they turn. Especially dogs like pits or rotties because of their incredible bite power. I don't even understand why this concept causes so many people to argue. Seems so simple.

Worst case scenario if your kid is attacked by an improperly trained weiner dog : nasty wound and stitches.

Worst case scenario if your kid is attacked by an improperly trained pit/rottie : lets not even talk about it
I also can't understand why people want to defend these breeds so much. Of course it's not the dog's fault, but in the end it doesn't matter. There are idiots who continue to breed these dogs for money, and idiots who buy them because they are "cool" and "tough" dogs, who then encourage the worst in their behavior. I grew up with a lot of those idiots - guys thought it was cool to have a pit bull, doberman, or rottweiler. They had to have something that had a reputation for killing or hurting people. And they weren't happy if the dog didn't at least growl and look scary. It's all because of the people who breed and buy the dogs, but many of these dogs are still dangerous. And with the exception of a rescued animal or someone who ended up with the breed or a mix of it without really intending to, one has to wonder just why that person decided a good pet to have would be a large, poorly socialized dog with tremendous bite power and a reputation for killing kids.

Old 10-28-2013, 03:28 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,907,781 times
Even with the most vicious dog, Its the owner, not the dog. Too bad the owner can't go to jail and the dog can go to a loving home.

Get a hospital/doctor report-get report copy
report to animal control-get report copy
Keep a log on the dog date and time-all actions positive and negative and esp. how long he is left on a chain or outside by himself. Also note if and quality of food left for him outside.

Good Luck!

Old 10-28-2013, 03:34 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,747,596 times
I'm not even going to read the other responses. SUE THE BASTARD. Oh--and I'm a dog owner and dog lover to an extreme degree. But letting a pit bull attack someone's kid cannot be tolerated. If you can't control your own dog, then you shouldn't have the dog. It would be one thing if your kid was trying to pet the dog and the dog nipped her--but *chasing* her when she was 6 feet away? That's an aggressive dog and a negligent owner.

Hope your daughter is OK; sorry it happened.

Old 10-28-2013, 03:48 PM

989 posts, read 2,860,926 times
Oh lord, who cares what kind of dog it was- talk to the neighbor, see if they offer to make it right for your kid (medical reimbursement, sincere apologies and concern, offer of whatever it takes to guarantee if doesn't happen to anyone else, such as a muzzle, training, etc). If the neighbor sucks in their response to you, they have homeowners insurance that should cover your lawsuit so go for it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia