Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 05:22 PM

13 posts, read 69,250 times

Advertisements

My husband is working at Andrews AFB,,,we are looking at moving to Alexandria or somewhere so the commute isnt to bad. We dont like highrise or condo living..we would like a single family home without having to go into a huge mortgage. What cities, communities are safe and neighborly? We have read Woodbridge isnt the safest area but DelRay is nice..Schools arent a concern as our children are in college. We dont want a retirement area but we also dont want to dodge bullets in our living room.. any help would be greatly appreciated. He is willing to drive 30-40 min with easy access to highway. Thanks in advance for any help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2007, 07:51 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,724,250 times
Try across the river in Charles County, MD.

Old 11-20-2007, 09:24 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melzee View Post
My husband is working at Andrews AFB,,,we are looking at moving to Alexandria or somewhere so the commute isnt to bad. We dont like highrise or condo living..we would like a single family home without having to go into a huge mortgage. What cities, communities are safe and neighborly? We have read Woodbridge isnt the safest area but DelRay is nice..Schools arent a concern as our children are in college. We dont want a retirement area but we also dont want to dodge bullets in our living room.. any help would be greatly appreciated. He is willing to drive 30-40 min with easy access to highway. Thanks in advance for any help
i'd stick with MD. Three communities i really like are Clinton, Fort Washington, and Upper Marlboro. Even though all three are in PG county they are all safe. Also real close to Andrews.

Old 11-21-2007, 07:53 AM

352 posts, read 1,591,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melzee View Post
There are areas of Woodbridge that are quite safe and quite nice, particularly in the Lake Ridge area. You really shouldn't be considering them, though, since trying to get all the way up I-95 from Woodbridge to the beltway, then crossing over the Wilson Bridge would be MURDER. Try doubling or tripling your 30-40 minute goal. (Probably closer to tripling)

You might take a good look at Upper Marlboro in Prince George's, as it's a nice area where the prices have been beat down because the schools in PG are beyond crappy. That doesn't matter to you now, though. Ditto with Bowie, and if you want to go beyond Prince George's, check out Calvert County!

Old 11-21-2007, 07:59 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,998,710 times
At the risk of agreeing with knopfler too many times, I agree. There are some very nice areas of Woodbridge so I would hate to leave anyone with the impression that "Woodbridge" is a terrible place. (Aah, I've been in several, several million dollar homes in Woodbridge, including one with an elevator). But ... the commute ...

Old 11-21-2007, 12:02 PM

349 posts, read 1,430,625 times
I agree with the above. Look in AA, PG, Charles, or Calvert county. Much more manageable and there are plenty of nice towns in there. If you insist on a more urban experience, then the areas of Old Town Alexandria would probably put you at 30-40 mins each way, but you do have to fight the WW bridge twice a day, though next year the 2nd span does go up and that shouldn't be a problem any more.

Old 11-21-2007, 08:02 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
I am a Virginia person, like Alexandria alot, but in your price range I'm not sure if you can do it. MD might be a better choice given the Andrews location.

Woodbridge term encompasses many areas (I think) Lake Ridge, Occaquan (sp?), Dale City - it depends, but I think you'll know the areas when you seen them. Do you have to choose before visiting?

Old 11-22-2007, 09:13 PM

158 posts, read 600,695 times
Occoquan or Triangle, or even Dale City or Woodbridge.. I just wouldn't want to drive on 95 that long every day to get to work, but people do it all the time. Woodbridge has nice places, and they're traditionally less expensive when renting, but with you looking to buy who knows. Old Town Alexandria is wonderful, and considerably closer to your husband's work direction, but the WW Bridge will still come into play.

Personally, my experience in Maryland is not a good one with any areas surrounding Andrews AFB, and I can understand wanting to settle in VA. So the commute, to me, would be worth it in the end.

Old 12-09-2007, 01:11 PM

555 posts, read 2,701,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStarLiesWest View Post
Occoquan or Triangle, or even Dale City or Woodbridge.. I just wouldn't want to drive on 95 that long every day to get to work, but people do it all the time. Woodbridge has nice places, and they're traditionally less expensive when renting, but with you looking to buy who knows. Old Town Alexandria is wonderful, and considerably closer to your husband's work direction, but the WW Bridge will still come into play.

Personally, my experience in Maryland is not a good one with any areas surrounding Andrews AFB, and I can understand wanting to settle in VA. So the commute, to me, would be worth it in the end.
I would stick with Occoquan or points north. Triangle has very few nice areas and Dale City isn't real nice either. Woodbridge isn't real good either.

Old 12-28-2007, 08:30 AM

4 posts, read 10,781 times
Default Hayfield View

HAyfield View is a nice area that is near Kingstowne and Ft Belvoir. Plenty of access to areas of interest and every major road in NoVa. Housing is plentiful with SF homes mixed with townhouses and condos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia