Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 04:09 AM

6,556 posts, read 8,381,935 times

Advertisements

Not knowing your other expenses, I would estimate that you need approximately $80k to comfortably support two people. You could possibly live on less if you're frugal.

When my husband and I moved to NoVA in 2009, we started out with a joint income of $80k. We had all the typical bills - utilities, two car payments, a student loan, insurance, etc. Our rent was $1400. After all our bills were paid, we still had some discretionary funds leftover for the occasional dinners out, baseball games, out the movies, etc.

The biggest increase you will encounter is housing costs. Look at your expenses now, and ask yourself if you're comfortable with increasing your rent by $400-$500 a month (for an apartment) on a $15k raise (worst case scenario, it takes your fiance a while to find a job). I found that all the other expenses didn't change all that much.

Luckily for you, PWC is one of the less expensive areas in NoVA. Would you be in eastern or western PWC? What type of work does your fiancé do?

Last edited by HokieFan; 11-13-2013 at 04:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 05:50 AM

119 posts, read 336,963 times
Comfortably as in not taking vacations bc of the job and not owning nice expensive cars. We live a pretty typical life and not of luxury. My fiancé works in the medical field so it won't be hard to find a job it's just a matter of where. Like I said my salary is just starting with a significant increase. I was just trying to get a base of the area and such since I've never been to the area.

Old 11-13-2013, 06:28 AM

367 posts, read 884,347 times
Depends on how much the car note is? Credit card debt? Student Loan Debt? if you debt free this would be do-able. I would sell the car and buy a beater (that will get rid of the car note and dramatically lower your insurance)

Old 11-13-2013, 06:54 AM

89 posts, read 178,917 times
Depending on where exactly in PW, if you're in the western part, living in Warrenton might be a cheaper alternative. I think you could probably find a studio or 1 bdrm for around $1k/mo in Manassas. Again, it really depends on where your job is and what kind of commute you would be willing to tolerate. I think 51k with no kids and your only "debt" is a car payment, you'll be fine until your fiance finds a job.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:58 AM

505 posts, read 764,902 times
You should be fine on that income, especially if you live in PWC or parts further south or west. It would be tough to get a nice place without roommates or extra income in some of the trendier areas of Arlington on $51k, but you should be able to rent an apt or condo for $1200 or less in PWC.

I wouldn't want to try to support a family of five on that in this area, but for one or two adults you'll have to be careful with your spending but it is totally doable, especially for a relatively short time.

Housing in the main expense that will increase, so make sure your increase in take-home pay is bigger than your increase in rent.

Welcome to the area.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:20 AM

91 posts, read 111,385 times
I remember when our income was 55k and we had no huge expenses- 1 car, minimal student loans, no eating out... And we were just barely getting by every month. We didn't start getting breathing room until the income was 90k. Looking back at it we have no idea how we made it. Word from the wise- this may be a hot spot for jobs but you'll need a MBA, clearance, or be IT etc. I know quite a few med students who are having no luck right now in the job department so plan as though it's just your income for a year. Good luck!

Old 11-13-2013, 09:35 AM

119 posts, read 336,963 times
Thanks for the replies. We have no debt except a car payment and no kids. I would be willing to live wherever until we were well established.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:03 AM

790 posts, read 1,880,267 times
I say go for it! Once you get here, it might be a bit of a stretch financially. However, I also think that if you are a solid worker, have some ambition/or strong interest in your career, you will find opportunities that might not be available in Ohio. Sound like there is room to run in your job.

Old 11-13-2013, 01:28 PM

373 posts, read 869,825 times
I agree with what others have said. $50K is considered poor in NOVA, but most people don't start off with a 6 figure salary. Without needing to be in an area zoned to a top school, you can definitely manage. Working in PWC will definitely make it easier than if you were working in Alexandria, Arlington, or DC. If you thought you would max out at $50k then it would be one thing, but expecting a higher household income eventually works in your favor.

Old 11-14-2013, 03:32 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
If you live in Prince William County too - which is relatively inexpensive by NOVA standards - your dollar will generally go farther than it would further north. Based on your only debt consisting of a car note, odds are you could afford to rent a 1BR or even 2BR apartment on that $51K salary. Unless you're bringing significant equity from from OH, a 1BR condo (which might go for $200-250K in PWC) might be a stretch.

Again, the good news is that your job will be in PWC which will by design save you a few thousand dollars a year on housing and transportation compared to your neighbors, many of whom will be commuting as far north as DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia