Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 06:51 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,179,751 times

Advertisements

Certainly not good news for FCPS. Thoughts?

Fairfax County schools face $140 million shortfall | WJLA.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 07:00 AM

529 posts, read 751,325 times
Certainly not good news.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:04 AM

66 posts, read 117,995 times
I for one am glad this news is coming out now, before I decide where to buy a house next year.

The article quotes someone saying Vienna elementary schools have class sizes of 30+ students. For real?

Old 10-21-2013, 08:38 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,433,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lf3cbn View Post
I for one am glad this news is coming out now, before I decide where to buy a house next year.

The article quotes someone saying Vienna elementary schools have class sizes of 30+ students. For real?
Vienna is not the only place where the elementary schools have large class sizes now, and it's only going to become more the norm. It can be true in a lot of places you look for houses. The school system is between a rock and a hard place on its budget with an expanding enrollment that has greater needs. I would be curious how true this is for the neighboring counties, especially Loudoun and Prince William.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:39 AM

267 posts, read 512,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lf3cbn View Post
I think that 30+ students per class is pretty typical.

Hmmm, I wonder how large the classes would be if we actually enforced the immigration laws?

Old 10-21-2013, 09:04 AM

142 posts, read 273,191 times
During a recent discussion with a principal of an area high school, I asked him "What is your single largest line item on your budget?"

Answer: the lunchroom.

The cost of feeding 2500+ kids every day, a portion of those that don't pay a thing, costs him more than the teacher's salaries.

All three of our kids take lunches most days.

So let me aske this...why should our schools be required to feed the kids in the school? You and I don't get cheap lunches at work?

Old 10-21-2013, 09:07 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,517,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPHokie View Post

Hmmm, I wonder how large the classes would be if we actually enforced the immigration laws?
I suspect the wealthier Vienna schools don't exactly have that many illegals in their class.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:10 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,994,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPHokie View Post

That's an interesting observation because this is becoming an issue throughout the region, not just Fairfax. Typically, growing populations are accounted for by Census data and the changes in that data usually prompts more funding for schools. Clearly there is something that is not right here.

Also did anyone else notice how the article casually mentioned rises in health care cost being an issue. I wonder how much of an impact that is going to have across the country on school systems.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:52 AM

6,566 posts, read 8,404,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben 'n Jen View Post

So let me aske this...why should our schools be required to feed the kids in the school? You and I don't get cheap lunches at work?
I don't have a problem with children getting free lunches. For most of these kids, it's the only decent meal they get each day. I don't begrudge money going towards feeding children who would otherwise go hungry.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:02 AM

1,449 posts, read 3,172,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
I don't have a problem with children getting free lunches. For most of these kids, it's the only decent meal they get each day. I don't begrudge money going towards feeding children who would otherwise go hungry.
EXACTLY

I would NEVER take away lunches. Also, just an FYI:

2. How does the National School Lunch Program work?
Generally, public or nonprofit private schools of high school grade or under and public or
nonprofit private residential child care institutions may participate in the school lunch
program. School districts and independent schools that choose to take part in the lunch
program get cash subsidies and USDA foods from the U.S. Department of Agriculture
(USDA) for each meal they serve. In return, they must serve lunches that meet Federal
requirements, and they must offer free or reduced price lunches to eligible children. School
food authorities can also be reimbursed for snacks served to children through age 18 in
afterschool educational or enrichment programs.

http://www.fns.usda.gov/cnd/lunch/ab...PFactSheet.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia