Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 08:40 AM

2,772 posts, read 4,323,938 times

Advertisements

Kiss goodbye to 2.2 million dollars in tax revenue if the fed's take over the site.

We should be begging against this; its worth more to the county as a vacant lot with potential (and tax payments) than as the site for the FBI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 09:12 AM

947 posts, read 1,404,820 times
$2.2 million is a drop in the bucket in Fairfax County's $3.6 billion annual budget. Whatever real estate tax might be lost were the Exxon Mobil site to become a federal installation for an agency like the FBI might well be offset by the increased tax revenue and economic activity that would come to the county by contractors and companies that do business with the agency and would want to be located close to it -- as is the case for those who do business with the CIA and DoD.

The Exxon Mobil site perfectly meets the criteria the FBI is looking for of a secure campus that is within a couple of miles of both the Beltway (the Rt. 50 and I-66 exits) and a Metro stop (Dunn Loring).

Getting the FBI headquarters here would be a feather in the cap for Fairfax County.

Old 11-21-2013, 09:40 AM

2,772 posts, read 4,323,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICS67 View Post
$2.2 million is a drop in the bucket in Fairfax County's $3.6 billion annual budget. Whatever real estate tax might be lost were the Exxon Mobil site to become a federal installation for an agency like the FBI might well be offset by the increased tax revenue and economic activity that would come to the county by contractors and companies that do business with the agency and would want to be located close to it -- as is the case for those who do business with the CIA and DoD.

The Exxon Mobil site perfectly meets the criteria the FBI is looking for of a secure campus that is within a couple of miles of both the Beltway (the Rt. 50 and I-66 exits) and a Metro stop (Dunn Loring).

Getting the FBI headquarters here would be a feather in the cap for Fairfax County.
Those agencies and businesses are already here. Its a faux argument that because the FBI moves 8 miles west it will now spur new jobs. Its always had those jobs, it will continue to have those jobs. The FBI site should go to Springfield if anywhere, into a GSA accepted parcel that has a federal history and is currently a lot cheaper for the Feds to buy anyways.

While that amount is only 0.05% of the annual budget; it is still a significant loss in revenue (the equivalent of 600 homes suddenly going without tax payments). In a time when we are cutting back on Library services, teacher/civil servant pay, it wouldn't necessarily make things easier.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:23 PM

152 posts, read 180,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sullyguy View Post
FBI HQ though I'm not sure about the Metro access (simply don't know - Vienna?). It's a nice campus, huge building, nice pool/exercise area and rather isolated as well. Executive areas have their own garage/entrance and are rather secure and, if still there, there are large rooms that are Farady-caged secure, etc. And there's at least one helipad.

[I was a contractor there for years]
I think this site is much better than the GSA site in Springfield. For all of the reasons listed above, and the Dunn Loring Metro is within the range that is called out in their site specification.

One interesting comparison between the 2 sites would be the commuting profile of the existing HQ employees. i.e.- are more of them currently commuting from the north and west in VA (easier to get to this site), or from the south (favoring the GSA location).

Old 11-22-2013, 06:05 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,739,644 times
I just hope that whatever gets put there keeps the trees.

An easy and logical answer would be some kind of additional medical facility associated with Inova Hospital. Or an old folks' home.

Old 11-30-2013, 06:25 AM

3,718 posts, read 5,705,754 times
George Mason University can open up a satellite campus. Some sort of partnership between Fairfax Hospital and a new satellite campus would be imminent.

Old 11-30-2013, 06:54 AM

1,256 posts, read 4,201,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
an old folks' home.
That would be a fairly large old folks' home...

Old 11-30-2013, 08:11 PM

301 posts, read 692,431 times
Something commercial so we keep the tax dollars. I thought I read somewhere (though I can't remember where) that the FBI won't be going there b/c one of their requirements states that they cannot be located close to any hospitals (not sure if this is accurate though).

Old 12-01-2013, 03:30 PM

247 posts, read 1,142,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yolli71 View Post
Something commercial so we keep the tax dollars. I thought I read somewhere (though I can't remember where) that the FBI won't be going there b/c one of their requirements states that they cannot be located close to any hospitals (not sure if this is accurate though).
The rumor I heard is that the FBI (or CIA or anybody like that) can't go in there b/c there is underground parking underneath the whole building, and there's some law or regualtion prohibiting parking under offices for security reasons. I have no idea if this is really true or not.

Old 12-01-2013, 07:15 PM

114 posts, read 171,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alibaba1579 View Post
The rumor I heard is that the FBI (or CIA or anybody like that) can't go in there b/c there is underground parking underneath the whole building, and there's some law or regualtion prohibiting parking under offices for security reasons. I have no idea if this is really true or not.
Plenty of underground parking in federal buildings, including brand new ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia