Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 11:10 PM

491 posts, read 1,171,390 times

Advertisements

Someone came to my block a couple years ago, interviewed 2 neighbors about another neighbor.
Not a scam.
Just the gov't doing its due diligence. Because application forms can't tell the whole story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2013, 06:20 AM

9,781 posts, read 15,802,795 times
I had to do this for my next-door neighbor, too. I know he works for the government in some capacity.

Old 12-20-2013, 06:56 AM

617 posts, read 1,357,147 times
Congrats Kutra, another checkbox to say you've arrived in D.C.! Not that I know how long you've lived here, but I always joke that there's a bucket list for this area, and one of them is being interviewed by an investigator for a friend of neighbors clearance. I've had to do this several times, most recently for a neighbors daughter who was going into the Army Intelligence program. They don't expect you to have a dinner party relationship, just want to know if you've observed any behaviors that would lead you to think they can't handle a position of trust, or would make them beholden to a foreign government, etc.

Old 12-20-2013, 08:50 AM

423 posts, read 1,238,519 times
The discussion has centered on many of us having talked to investigators regarding friends, family and co-workers. But I have to say that I've never been approached in the manner described by the OP ... coming home to find an OPM flyer on my door. Has that happened to others here? I've always had investigators call me first to set up an appointment. Never have they stopped past my house unannounced. That portion of the OP's post does strike me as a little strange, and therefore I would be a little hesitant to call them. Is this the norm?

Old 12-20-2013, 08:57 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,279,940 times
I'm pretty sure it's standard to stop by unannounced. They don't want the person they're contacting to ask the applicant and possibly be "prepped" on what they should say.

None of the people interviewed about me had any prior notice.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:05 AM

89 posts, read 179,178 times
Every time I've had an investigator come, it was unannounced. I've never had them set up a time to talk.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:09 AM

5,756 posts, read 4,002,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutra11 View Post
There was a notice stuck on my door from the United States Office of Personnel Management (OPM), Federal Investigative Services dept, saying they wanted to talk wih me regarding some individual (no name provided) that is being considered for a position of trust with the US Govt. They want my comments regarding this infividual's fitness and suitability!! The notice has the name of an investigator along with a phone number.

No one I know has informed me that he/she has given my reference for a job position with the OPM. I am most certainly not going to call the number and talk to the OPM investigator. Isn't it strange that the OPM would go knocking on people's door rather than make a phone call, and then set up an appointment? Is this a scam?

Has this happened to anyone here in NoVA?
When a family member applied for a job in the nuclear industry here in Ohio the FBI came to the door.Scared the s#!t out of me they were like the Men in Black.

Old 12-20-2013, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billscamaros View Post
The discussion has centered on many of us having talked to investigators regarding friends, family and co-workers. But I have to say that I've never been approached in the manner described by the OP ... coming home to find an OPM flyer on my door. Has that happened to others here? I've always had investigators call me first to set up an appointment. Never have they stopped past my house unannounced. That portion of the OP's post does strike me as a little strange, and therefore I would be a little hesitant to call them. Is this the norm?
It's normal, and it's very likely concerning a neighbor. I've had the flyers posted on my door in the past, you just call to set up a time when it is convenient for both parties. Generally, if you're a reference listed by a friend of family member, the interview is over the phone or more structured. In this case, the investigator is likely just canvassing the neighborhood for people who live near the applicant.

Old 12-20-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats View Post
When a family member applied for a job in the nuclear industry here in Ohio the FBI came to the door.Scared the s#!t out of me they were like the Men in Black.
You must have a different set up there from what I've ever seen. Most of the investigators trend older...frequently they're retired federal agents/officers who are doing this as a retirement job for a paycheck since the hours are less stressful and it's related to their previous employment.

Old 12-20-2013, 10:39 AM

254 posts, read 423,403 times
This is one part of the government that IMO is excellent. They surprise neighbors so there is no prepared answers. What you say is real and legit. When you are able to pick out your background people, it just makes it easy to hire more and more bad people into the government.

I used to have to vouch for a neighbor when I was younger. I told the investigator that the person was a jerk and the guy continued to be promoted up the ranks lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia