Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 09:16 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,270,667 times

Advertisements

Still bitter I see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 02:45 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,105,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newnewsmama View Post
Purcellville.
Warrenton.

Winchester doesn't have any small town feel to me. It is a medium sized, working class city.
Have you ever spent any real time in Winchester?

We live in Winchester, moving here after 20 years in NoVA and this is definitely a "small town feel" if ever. Not only has it preserved dozens (if not hundreds) of their historic houses/bldgs, the town has tons to do for both visiting and participating. "Community" is what you think of here. Our house is in the Historic District so we walk to the library, post office, restaurants, etc. and the many, many fairs, festivals, and events here. People always greet you, smile, extremely courteous in person, on the phone, etc. Whenever we're on our front porch, people walking by always greet you, stop to talk, etc.

And Winchester is not just working class folks. There is also "old money" or plenty of the VFFs here (Virginia's First Families). I mean families that have been here for generations, since the 1700s, inheriting masses of land that was bequeathed from Lord So-and-So and all that stuff. Think Admiral Byrd for example and the Byrd family. This also means there are wealthy folks here, and ALOT of philanthropy. Add to that an increasing number of former NoVans and DCites and you have newer, highly-educated groups coming in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
Winchester has a small town feel if you live in the Historic District/Meadow Branch areas that feed into John Kerr. And, that is a fairly large geographic area. It is very typical of a small Southern town. There is tremendous civic involvement -- city committees, Rotary, Churches, Blue Ridge Hospice, garden clubs, etc etc. and everyone gets to know everyone.
Thanks LL!

Old 03-04-2015, 02:57 PM

4,902 posts, read 7,468,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post

We live in Winchester, moving here after 20 years in NoVA and this is definitely a "small town feel" if ever. Not only has it preserved dozens (if not hundreds) of their historic houses/bldgs, the town has tons to do for both visiting and participating. "Community" is what you think of here. Our house is in the Historic District so we walk to the library, post office, restaurants, etc. and the many, many fairs, festivals, and events here. People always greet you, smile, extremely courteous in person, on the phone, etc. Whenever we're on our front porch, people walking by always greet you, stop to talk, etc.

And Winchester is not just working class folks. There is also "old money" or plenty of the VFFs here (Virginia's First Families). I mean families that have been here for generations, since the 1700s, inheriting masses of land that was bequeathed from Lord So-and-So and all that stuff. Think Admiral Byrd for example and the Byrd family. This also means there are wealthy folks here, and ALOT of philanthropy. Add to that an increasing number of former NoVans and DCites and you have newer, highly-educated groups coming in.

Thanks LL!
My pleasure, South Jersey Styx! Winchester was very, very high on our retirment list. We absolutely love the city and have many wonderful friends there. Unfortunately, Winchester is losing us to the warmer weather and expanding family ties in SC.

Old 03-04-2015, 03:07 PM

Quote:
My pleasure, South Jersey Styx! Winchester was very, very high on our retirment list. We absolutely love the city and have many wonderful friends there. Unfortunately, Winchester is losing us to the warmer weather and expanding family ties in SC.
We have something [else] in common. We have relatives, as well as property, in SC too so the lure of SC is a possibility for us in the future.

Old 03-05-2015, 02:24 PM

531 posts, read 1,430,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
I go to Winchester every week. I eat, shop, and play there every single week.

Many of the things you said are true, but in my opinion, Winchester is too big for a small town feel.

All places have rich people and well educated professionals. But compared to NOVA, Winchester definitely is more working class and more down to earth. It doesn't have this yuppie feel. Of course, not everyone likes the yuppie feel.

Old 03-05-2015, 04:12 PM

4,902 posts, read 7,468,520 times
Quote:
I go to Winchester every week. I eat, shop, and play there every single week.

Many of the things you said are true, but in my opinion, Winchester is too big for a small town feel.

All places have rich people and well educated professionals. But compared to NOVA, Winchester definitely is more working class and more down to earth. It doesn't have this yuppie feel. Of course, not everyone likes the yuppie feel.
I'll agree with you about the yuppie feel. That was kind of my point -- if you're in the city -- there is a typical small Southern city/town feel. You will see the same people everywhere: committees, clubs, churches, neighborhoods/schools/grocery store, post office. I wasn't referring to the outlying areas toward Stephens City or our in Frederick County. It has the typical hierachy of old money, professionals/business owners, and working class.

Old 03-05-2015, 06:57 PM

Quote:
All places have rich people and well educated professionals.
No they don't.

Quote:
But compared to NOVA, Winchester definitely is more working class and more down to earth. It doesn't have this yuppie feel. Of course, not everyone likes the yuppie feel.
Perhaps. If you're referring to people who work for Trex, Rubber Maid, or the other large businesses along I-81? Then the bulk of occupations would be industrial/manufacturing instead of technology/government-workers, right?

No, not a yuppie feel. But I will say that unlike NoVA, Winchester has a range of socio-economic classes, not just one or two major groups.

Old 03-05-2015, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Too big? Winchester clearly has three (at least) distinct areas: urban, suburban and rural. The rural areas, primarily west and north, have fewer people and lots of farms. Just because it's "big" doesn't mean it can't have a small town feel.

Quote:
I'll agree with you about the yuppie feel. That was kind of my point -- if you're in the city -- there is a typical small Southern city/town feel. You will see the same people everywhere: committees, clubs, churches, neighborhoods/schools/grocery store, post office. I wasn't referring to the outlying areas toward Stephens City or our in Frederick County. It has the typical hierachy of old money, professionals/business owners, and working class.
Yep. Most visitors have said so. And living here definitely gives a person that feeling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia