Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 10:08 AM

9,781 posts, read 15,802,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerf Herder View Post
What is this "polar vortex" I keep hearing about, and is it in any way a portal into another dimension?
It's a fancy way of saying it's dam*n cold outside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 10:27 AM

810 posts, read 1,025,905 times
A deep dive into the polar vortex

Quote:
The polar vortex is really just a large air mass that is extremely cold (temperatures fall below -78C, or -108F, during the Northern Hemisphere winter). This concentrated area of cold is encircled by a fast-flowing river of air called the polar night jet. Basically, the jet – with its swiftly moving air current – traps the vortex over and near the poles, north and south.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:50 AM

254 posts, read 423,403 times
I had to walk a quarter mile each way outside earlier this morning for a meeting at work. When I got to the meeting, I found out it was canceled.

My boiling anger on the way back allowed me to not freeze to death.

What is this global warming crap I keep hearin about?

Old 01-07-2014, 11:00 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,318,927 times
When I started my car this morning I didn't think it felt that bad, just a little colder than usual. I went out at lunch and it felt significantly worse. Either the temp has dropped or maybe it just wasn't windy when I went outside first thing this morning. The wind chill is definitely brutal

Old 01-07-2014, 11:11 AM

26,701 posts, read 41,771,805 times
My Accord started VERY differently than usual this morning from all the cold weather. Also I saw 4 Mile Run Creek is completely frozen solid.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:19 AM

377 posts, read 529,970 times
it was 7 degrees when I woke up this morning, but when I got to DC it had risen to 10 degrees and I was like "wooh! Break out the suncreen and hawaiian shirts!"

Old 01-07-2014, 02:39 PM

540 posts, read 791,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerf Herder View Post
What is this "polar vortex" I keep hearing about, and is it in any way a portal into another dimension?
Polar vortex has been a common meteorological term for a long time. I don't know why the media decided this was the time to whip it out. I guess this event needed a "cool" name.

Old 01-07-2014, 02:47 PM

254 posts, read 423,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallout Zone View Post
Polar vortex has been a common meteorological term for a long time. I don't know why the media decided this was the time to whip it out. I guess this event needed a "cool" name.
I thought the cool name of this event was Winter Storm Hercules?

Old 01-07-2014, 03:06 PM

262 posts, read 583,013 times
I know this is not a popular opinion, but I'm glad schools were closed. Diesel engines are known to be difficult to start in cold weather and a lot of kids would be standing out in the extremely cold weather waiting for buses that would be late or not coming at all. I was out briefly today, dressed like an eskimo, and my hands and feet were numb by the time I got back inside.

I also see the high school students waiting for school buses without coats on. I've always wondered what kind of crazy they are....but figured they are teenagers. Then found out that they don't wear coats because they don't fit in their lockers and there is no place to put them during the day. So I guess its not a fashion statement, there really is a reason the older kids go coatless.

Old 01-07-2014, 03:26 PM

6,566 posts, read 8,406,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallout Zone View Post
Kinda like derecho a couple summers ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: