Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 08:24 PM

2,707 posts, read 2,846,059 times

Advertisements

For me it's 10 degrees here right now. So I would say it's colder than a well diggers #ss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 08:28 PM

948 posts, read 1,407,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
I don't think they are making up new weather terms....they are taking obscure meteorological terms and going mainstream with them.

I just looked up derecho and that term apparently goes back to the 1880s. But I sure never heard it before last year.

And they probably got tons more 'em!

Oh, indeed. Besides derecho and polar vortex, some of my favorite descriptors of impending meteorological and geophysical disasters include:

1. Coronal mass ejection. Refers not to the unfortunate after-effects of a college frat party where too much Mexican beer was consumed, but rather to a huge discharge of charged particles from the sun that, should it strike earth, will basically fry the electrical grid.

2. Yellowstone supervolcano caldera. A volcanic eruption from a fifty-mile diameter magma pool underneath northwest Wyoming that could coat half the continental U.S. in volcanic ash.

3. Canary Island mega-tsunami. What will happen if a large part of the Cumbre Vieja volcano on La Palma island in the Canary chain erupts, with part of its slope breaking off and sliding into the Atlantic. Resulting tsunami will wipe out most or all of the East Coast (and also much of the coastlines of Europe, Africa, and South America) with a wave estimated at 150 feet in height.

4. Cascadia subduction zone. The area where two tectonic plates meet off the Pacific Northwest coast and which one day will dump Seattle into Puget Sound. Kiss your Starbucks goodbye.

5. Ark (Atmospheric River 1000) Storm. A superstorm 2,000 miles or more in length that forms over the Pacific on average every 500 to 1,000 years, and which would basically flood out much of California. USGS has estimated damage could reach $700 billion.

But cheer up, everyone -- at least we in NoVa don't have to worry about #4 and #5! What, me worry?

Old 01-07-2014, 08:56 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,704,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICS67 View Post
Oh, indeed. Besides derecho and polar vortex, some of my favorite descriptors of impending meteorological and geophysical disasters include:

1. Coronal mass ejection. Refers not to the unfortunate after-effects of a college frat party where too much Mexican beer was consumed, but rather to a huge discharge of charged particles from the sun that, should it strike earth, will basically fry the electrical grid.

2. Yellowstone supervolcano caldera. A volcanic eruption from a fifty-mile diameter magma pool underneath northwest Wyoming that could coat half the continental U.S. in volcanic ash.

3. Canary Island mega-tsunami. What will happen if a large part of the Cumbre Vieja volcano on La Palma island in the Canary chain erupts, with part of its slope breaking off and sliding into the Atlantic. Resulting tsunami will wipe out most or all of the East Coast (and also much of the coastlines of Europe, Africa, and South America) with a wave estimated at 150 feet in height.

4. Cascadia subduction zone. The area where two tectonic plates meet off the Pacific Northwest coast and which one day will dump Seattle into Puget Sound. Kiss your Starbucks goodbye.

5. Ark (Atmospheric River 1000) Storm. A superstorm 2,000 miles or more in length that forms over the Pacific on average every 500 to 1,000 years, and which would basically flood out much of California. USGS has estimated damage could reach $700 billion.

But cheer up, everyone -- at least we in NoVa don't have to worry about #4 and #5! What, me worry?
My favorite is the Siberian Express. Reminds me of a romantic train journey on which the wife and I should book a cozy compartment.

Well, on second thought...

Old 01-08-2014, 04:49 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,587,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecart1 View Post
It was so cold this morning on my way to work that I nearly cried. I'm a man btw lol.
I know this feeling well. Had it for nearly 3 years while living in Chicago. So glad we're not there anymore, especially this week!

Old 01-08-2014, 06:43 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,326,624 times
I can't believe schools were delayed 2 hours today. Just close for the entire winter so the kids won't have to be cold at all.

Old 01-08-2014, 08:04 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,480,554 times
I might be alone in this, but I like the cold weather. Winter and Spring are my favorite seasons.

Old 01-08-2014, 08:06 AM

6 posts, read 11,096 times
spring? pollen. summer? mosquitoes. Fall? leaf cleanup. Winder? perfect.

Old 01-08-2014, 08:26 AM

9,900 posts, read 14,213,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by niuniu View Post
spring? pollen. summer? mosquitoes. Fall? leaf cleanup. Winder? perfect.
Obviously a typo......but I wonder if this is what Chicago-ites call the cold season?

Old 01-08-2014, 08:58 AM

254 posts, read 424,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
I can't believe schools were delayed 2 hours today. Just close for the entire winter so the kids won't have to be cold at all.
Some kids don't have jackets. I remember when I was younger a couple of guys would stand at the bus stop in tee shirts.

You gotta realize that not everyone can afford Gore Tex jackets like George Costanza.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:08 AM

377 posts, read 531,258 times
hell, you can make a jacket out of old sheets of burlap and hair from the barber shop
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: