Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 04:05 PM

91 posts, read 160,395 times

Advertisements

tgbwc, - Thanks for the Montclair links - will check that out as hadn't considered it. It looks like it might meet the 30 maximum commute requirement. ??

ChristineVA - Muuuuh. It's a bummer to hear, but it's sort of what we have in our life now. It's a bit suburbia and we ONLY live here because it's affordable, convenient, safe, great for the kids to run/play and near hubby's work. Otherwise, Houston would be tremendously more fun. So, OKAY, thanks for the honesty. My hope is that the outdoor experiences and proximity to DC might make up for it??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 04:18 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,583,639 times
Mannassas schools are not generally considered desirable in NoVa, but there may be certain areas that are exceptions (I don't know which ones, though). I suggest focusing your search on Gainesville.

Old 01-22-2014, 04:18 PM

SmartMoney - That all sounds good, especially the IB and Foreign Language programs. Would you happen to know if any of these are available at the Elementary level? (Good on your boys for doing Math & Science!) - Oh, wait...just saw the link you included. Thanks for that.

Old 01-22-2014, 04:54 PM

marie5v - Would that include the Hay Market area?

Old 01-22-2014, 10:06 PM

2,380 posts, read 4,513,808 times
School systems in VA are by county or independent city not the ISD stuff you deal with in Texas. So there are three school systems to worry about:
Manassas City Public Schools
Manassas Park City Public Schools
Prince William County Public Schools

Manassas City schools are, as other posters have said, generally not well-regarded. Manassas Park is okay, but is pretty much suburbia. Prince William County schools in/around Haymarket and Gainesville are generally well-regarded.

If you like the idea of downtown living and can accept a ~30-45 minute commute, consider Warrenton (in Fauquier County), Leesburg (in Loudoun County), or even Front Royal (in Warren County). The schools are well-regarded, with the possible exception of Warren County schools (although I'd still take Warren County schools over Manassas City myself.)

$400k gets you quite a bit in Front Royal, if you are patient you can get a beautiful Victorian along/near Virginia Avenue/West Main for that budget. No garage, though.

With all that said, if a short commute, good schools, and absolute safety are your primary goals -- and being near stuff isn't as important -- then Gainesville will be your ticket.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:11 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,979,004 times
There is a Wegmans off of 29 in Gainesville (one of the best grocery stores in the country), but there is also a Farmer's Market in Old Town Manassas near the train station and in Haymarket.

Here goes information on the Farmer's Markets in PWC:
http://princewilliamfarmersmarkets.nova-antiques.com/

Old 01-23-2014, 07:13 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,583,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mod_Momma View Post
marie5v - Would that include the Hay Market area?
I love Haymarket, and actually wanted to move there, but it's not as inexpensive as it used to be.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:42 AM

Thanks everyone for all of your MOST helpful comments. I am building a huge list of things for my poor husband to check out in his short time there. :-)

Any impressions on the Victory Lakes neighborhood in Bristow, which appears to be in PWC district and offers an IB programme at the Elementary school?

Old 01-23-2014, 12:51 PM

722 posts, read 1,922,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mod_Momma View Post
Thanks everyone for all of your MOST helpful comments. I am building a huge list of things for my poor husband to check out in his short time there. :-)

Any impressions on the Victory Lakes neighborhood in Bristow, which appears to be in PWC district and offers an IB programme at the Elementary school?
I live in Victory Lakes

I think Victory Lakes would well meet your desire for a neighborhood with pools, activities, etc. We have a huge "Fall Festival" each year with hay rides, moon bounces for the kids, food, a live band, pony rides, etc.
At Christmas there is "Winter Wonderland" and Santa comes to visit with the kids, cookies, hot chocolate, horse drawn wagons, etc.
Easter there is an egg hunt, and during the summer there are other parties with bands, food for sale, etc.
I think it is a GREAT neighborhood to live in.

Schools:
The elementary school is Victory Lakes and though I have children attending, I don't know anything about the IB program--I think it is still in the process of being implemented? To be honest, I haven't heard much about it--but I am in general very happy with Victory and there are many excellent teachers there.

Marsteller is the middle school, and I also have children attending there. It is very crowded right now, but they are in the process of building a new K-8 school in Nokesville, so once that is built, it should alleviate some of the over crowding. My children have participated in the Math and Science program they have there and enjoy it. Marsteller also has a lot of clubs, sports and after school activities.

Stonewall Jackson is the high school, and probably the part that most people will see as a negative. Somehow, it has gained a pretty bad rep and I know a lot of people who lived in Victory Lakes when their kids were little, have moved once their kids reach high school age because they don't want their children attending--or some have successfully managed to get their child into a program at a different high school. FWIW, my kids are not old enough for high school yet so I have no personal experience with the school, but people I know that ACTUALLY SEND their kids to Stonewall, LOVE it! All of the negative stuff I have heard has been from parents whose kids aren't old enough yet for high school, or who sent their kids to a different school.
Stonewall DOES have the IB program.

Old 01-24-2014, 04:12 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,855,402 times
Just a note about the schools - bad/good. When my parents moved to Little Rocky Run in Clifton in the 1980s, half the neighborhood went to one school and the other half to the other school The 'other' school was not well regarded and even had police assigned to it (which was really bad in the 80s). The 'good' school was newer and was more of the middle upper class kids. I went to the 'other' school.....changed my life. Maybe there were a lot of trouble makers and it was sure a rough and tumble school but the teachers were awesome and dedicated and like I said - it was a life changing experience. If I hadn't gone to that school - who knows where I would be today. So, don't necessarily judge a book by its cover - there are good and bad teachers everywhere. Fast forward to Centreville High School (I was a part of the first full graduating class). I had some really good teachers...and some horrible teachers. One was fired towards the end of the year when I was a senior (she was my English teacher), pysch teacher walked out one day and never came back. We had a substitute that the kids made fun of - slammed her hand in the door and broke it one day (that teacher was permanently transferred)... I could go on and on. Even though it was a 'state of the art school' and everyone wanted their kid to go there, it still had its fair share of issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia