Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 09:05 AM

3 posts, read 6,562 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I will be moving to the area soon. Many people seem to know others in the federal government. What type of backgrounds do agents in Secret Service, Marshalls, Protective Officers, etc tend to have? What would be the best way to obtain these type of positions? Is it better to gain law enforcement experience (police officer), military experience, or what? Thank you for any information!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 09:16 AM

6,570 posts, read 8,422,931 times
United States Secret Service: Employment Opportunities - Special Agent

U.S. Marshals Service, Qualifications

Old 01-23-2014, 09:20 AM

3 posts, read 6,562 times
Thanks, I have seen that. I am looking for firsthand knowledge from people who are in those positions or people who know others in those positions.

Old 01-23-2014, 04:11 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,737,909 times
I think military experience (particular as an MP) may help you get that 1811, but it's not necessary. Just apply directly and go through the process. I would not become a local PO just to get a job as a federal PO. I am not a cop but have talked with a few 1811s.

FYI, Capitol Police make the highest LE salaries in the DC area but are bored out of their minds most of the time.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:53 PM

429 posts, read 1,163,641 times
Federal Law Enforcement is pretty diverse, and it is hard to generalize. Becoming an agent with Secret Service or the FBI or a Federal Marshall is extremely competitive and the standards are very high. There are other Federal Law Enforcement jobs that are definitely easier to get. I don't know anything about Federal Protective Service Officers, but I can tell you that it is easier to become a uniformed officer with the Secret Service than an Agent just as it is easier to join Diplomatic Security's uniformed division than it is to become a DS Special Agent.

The special agents I know don't have any single background. Some have previous law enforcement experience. Some have military experience (MP or otherwise). Some have law degrees. The one thing they all have in common is that they were all high achievers before joining. Having a college degree alone (in whatever field) doesn't make you competitive. Law enforcement experience or military experience alone isn't going to make you competitive. Graduating at the top of your class, having an advanced degree, and/or being a top performer in Law Enforcement or the military (particularly in a relevant field) will make you competitive. There's also quite a bit of difference in what different agencies are looking for. Most of the FBI agents I know have law degrees, but that isn't the case with others.

Old 01-25-2014, 05:03 AM

499 posts, read 2,158,362 times
I live in a neighborhood that has quite a few FBI agents. One common theme-- they all served in the military prior to becoming FBI agents.

Old 01-26-2014, 07:18 PM

2,765 posts, read 8,337,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtyGuy View Post
I live in a neighborhood that has quite a few FBI agents. One common theme-- they all served in the military prior to becoming FBI agents.
12 years ago they started at GS-7; could hardly get you a 2 bedroom condo somewhere and living paycheck to paycheck. If that's the case, you'd better off living a better life outside of the DMV area as a local leo.

Old 01-26-2014, 07:25 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,737,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
12 years ago they started at GS-7; could hardly get you a 2 bedroom condo somewhere and living paycheck to paycheck. If that's the case, you'd better off living a better life outside of the DMV area as a local leo.
I don't think starting at $42,600 (GS-7 w/locality pay) is that bad for someone right out of college. (Don't know about you, but I never expected to be able to buy a condo of any size at age 22.) But they also get LE availability pay--which is another 25%.

Old 01-26-2014, 10:17 PM

469 posts, read 1,038,373 times
Consider the Border Patrol.....a lot safer than being a DC Cop. Very good retirement/pay. Mostly warm/lower cost of living areas. Most of the ones I've met aren't big roid heads like some other agencies, I've seen.

Old 01-27-2014, 06:55 AM

617 posts, read 1,357,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homebeyer2013 View Post
Consider the Border Patrol.....a lot safer than being a DC Cop. Very good retirement/pay. Mostly warm/lower cost of living areas. Most of the ones I've met aren't big roid heads like some other agencies, I've seen.
Alright, I'll bite. I'm curious what makes you qualified to make these statements? Do you work for DHS or any sub-agency underneath their banner?

I'll start. I do work under the DHS banner. Not only that, I work for CBP, the sub-agency which contains the Office of Border Patrol, so I'm more than qualified to speak on this.

Let's start with safety. This is a link showing how many D.C. police officers have died in the line of duty...seven since the year 2000. Memorial to MPDC Officers Killed in the Line of Duty | mpdc

Would you like to see the Border Patrol Agent Memorial? You can go view it personally in the lobby of the Ronald Reagan building, but assuming you won't do that, start here. We lost five agents last year alone, for a variety of reasons, including gunfire, being hit by a car while directing traffic, heat stroke, and an ATV accident.

Because yes, that "warm" area gets to 110+ in the summer, in full uniform, and includes having to climb/track people and ride ATV's over rough terrain. Maybe your patrol car has fully functional AC, maybe not, if you haven't noticed, congressional budgets haven't been kind recently so maintenance is stretched as much as it can go.

Lower cost of living...you're right, the Arizona/Texas border isn't as expensive as the D.C. area. Try telling that to the Agent who is starting his/her career out as a GS-5 and making just north of $32,000 dollars to start. There had been a movement awhile back to start everyone at a GS-7 level minimum, which in those areas might push you to $40,000. D.C. police can expect to reach $53,500 after 18 months of service.

https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-over...s/html/PX.aspx

Salary and Benefits | mpdc

Government retirement isn't bad, that's true, though it isn't as plush for people being hired now as those who came in way back under CSRC or the older FERS systems. Of course, for these agents to get there, you have to be in danger pretty much everyday, not just from the people, but from the working conditions. Promotions aren't hanging off trees, and to get to the highest levels you'll have to either be the Patrol Agent in Charge/Chief Patrol agent, of which there is one per station/sector, or you have to uproot yourself, your family, and your life and move to D.C. to headquarters.

Now I'm lucky, I'm a project manager (non-officer) who has only experienced the border in so far as I've had to travel around for days/weeks here and there for reasons. I haven't had to experience what these guys do, I've only worked hand in hand with them on office projects. They're good people, and to the OP, I would say it is an admirable career should you explore the possibility, but don't allow someone like homebeyer to minimize what you'd be getting yourself into. The hours are long and hot, and very few Agents graduating from FLETC-Artesia get sent to the northern border. There's a reason the academy has intensive Spanish courses; you're pretty much assured of a southern border post to start your career.

As for homebeyer, your throwaway comment at the end about roid heads, as you've written it, is not meant as an insult to the Border Patrol, I can see that, but it's a pretty backhanded compliment considering how you're portraying other enforcement groups. And given some other posts I've seen from you...well, how about you stop giving advice about things you appear to know nothing about?

Last edited by Forehead; 01-27-2014 at 07:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia