Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 02:14 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,710,280 times

Advertisements

I pay $3136 annually for auto insurance through USAA. This includes 4 cars (2002 Toyota Camry, 2005 Toyota Highlander, 2008 Honda Element, and 2012 Hyundai Elantra). It also includes four drives. One of which is a 19 y/o male and the other is a 22 y/o. They are very expensive. No accidents, no points, nothing.

My homeowners is about $700 per year on a 1994 built SFH with 2500 square feet of above ground living space. My deductible is $2000. Also through USAA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 05:18 PM

50 posts, read 69,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
Would be helpful to know the OP's age, gender, and driving record.
I am a 30 yrs old male with no driving violations. I received warnings but was never issued a ticket. I was involved in an accident 3 years ago but it was not my fault.

Old 01-24-2014, 06:32 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,790,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogent View Post
I am a 30 yrs old male with no driving violations. I received warnings but was never issued a ticket. I was involved in an accident 3 years ago but it was not my fault.
I'm a 32 year old male with a clean driving record and, as I posted above, I'm paying less than you for 2 Corollas vs. your one Corolla. Maybe the fact that I'm married factors into the calculation, but I wouldn't think that would equate to more than twice the rate. I would definitely shop the car insurance around. Of course, if you only move your auto insurance to a new insurer, you'd probably lose any bundle discount you're currently getting on your homeowners so you may need to move both or at least ask your current insurer whether the rate would go up of you move your auto only. The only cost to shopping around is your time, so there's not much to lose.

Old 01-28-2014, 01:51 PM

3 posts, read 5,665 times
Just switched to GEICO.

1 Vehicle. 2 drivers, both under 30 years old but over 25. Had 1 no fault accident that totaled my previous vehicle 3 years ago. Also 1 moving violation from 2 years ago.

Vehicle is a 2010 Lexus IS250.

100/300 Bodily and Uninsured
100 Property
500 Deductible for collision and comprehensive
Also have roadside assistance and rental coverage.

6 month premium came out to be just a smidge under $300.

Old 01-28-2014, 07:26 PM

169 posts, read 387,156 times
I second and third checking Geico. We just got a new vehicle and Progressive raised our premium up to $800+ for 6 months. Geico's rate was under $450 for 3X the coverage and rental. I also priced USAA, Nationwide and AAA. Each insurer seem to have different ratings. Some asked more about driving habits & violations, some about education and occupation and the others seemed more consumer/credit based. Depending on where your strengths lie, you may have a different outcome than me. Good luck.

Edited: Might be worth mentioning that hubby got a reckless driving ticket last November.

Old 01-31-2014, 03:30 AM

25 posts, read 47,093 times
Car insurance is about 1420/yr with Geico..3 vehicles 08 touareg, 11 elantra, and 92 Integra, wife has had a few accidents

home insurance is 625 a yr..with USAA..home is 2006 2300 Sqft no including basement

Old 02-02-2014, 09:14 AM

50 posts, read 69,111 times
Thanks everyone and received a quote with Geico. Is much less Do you think I got too much coverage?

Old 02-02-2014, 11:53 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,704,135 times
Price is my least concern when it comes to insurance.

Number one is fast, competent claims service with NO GAMES. I don't want to have to sue an insurer to force them to honor the terms of the policy.

So. Flo and the gecko can take a hike....I insure auto/homes with the Chubb Group. They are far older than any mentioned so far, but don't advertise on TV. They are quite expensive, but provide top-notch service. They also insure things that the others wouldn't dream of insuring....like my vintage wooden motoryacht. (they know the marine business, having insured vessels since the days of the winjammers)

Amica is another excellent insurance company that most have never heard of.

Old 02-02-2014, 01:40 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,790,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Price is my least concern when it comes to insurance.

Number one is fast, competent claims service with NO GAMES. I don't want to have to sue an insurer to force them to honor the terms of the policy.

So. Flo and the gecko can take a hike....I insure auto/homes with the Chubb Group. They are far older than any mentioned so far, but don't advertise on TV. They are quite expensive, but provide top-notch service. They also insure things that the others wouldn't dream of insuring....like my vintage wooden motoryacht. (they know the marine business, having insured vessels since the days of the winjammers)

Amica is another excellent insurance company that most have never heard of.
I've insured with both Geico and Progressive and filed claims with both companies. I experienced nothing but quick and efficient service with absolutely no problems. The claims were fairly small claims, but I have been nothing but satisfied with the way the claims were handled by both companies.

That said, I don't really trust any insurance company. All insurance companies tend to be very nice people to deal with, that is, until you ask them to pay money. I suspect that with all insurance companies, you will find people who have had problems with claims being paid and you have people that experienced no problems whatsoever.

To OP - if Geico is cheaper, I wouldn't hesitate to switch.

Old 02-02-2014, 02:09 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,704,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airjay75 View Post
I've insured with both Geico and Progressive and filed claims with both companies. I experienced nothing but quick and efficient service with absolutely no problems. The claims were fairly small claims, but I have been nothing but satisfied with the way the claims were handled by both companies.

That said, I don't really trust any insurance company. All insurance companies tend to be very nice people to deal with, that is, until you ask them to pay money. I suspect that with all insurance companies, you will find people who have had problems with claims being paid and you have people that experienced no problems whatsoever.

To OP - if Geico is cheaper, I wouldn't hesitate to switch.

Here's the difference between insurance companies....say you have a really bad at-fault accident w/injuries and you get sued for a couple million dollars. The good insurers will vigorously defend you in court in order to try and keep any judgement against you within the limits of your liability coverage.

The lousy ones will just pay the limits of your policy and bail. Say you have $300K in liability coverage and a jury awards the plaintiff $1M...that can leave you on the hook for $700K. If the excess judgement is upheld....that's when people can lose everything they have.

But yeah, if you're talking fender benders or cracked windshields, I suppose they're all okay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia