Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 10:41 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,530,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Btingle76 View Post
Thank you for the information. I realize it will be very different from where we live now. I figure if we're not going to live close in then we will take advantage of what moving out further affords is and have a large-ish lot. Most of the other developments in Ashburn do not have lots as large as Willowsford. I also prefer some of the house styles they are building. We have several friends in ashburn and leesburg and have spent quite a bit of them there so we are somewhat familiar.

For kindergarten, I am not too concerned about the half day, just curious. Do most parents that choose private kindergarten do so because of work schedules? Are there still plenty of children that do half day without an enrichment program. I am thinking it would be a good transition from part time preschool which he is in now.
there's a number of studies that show full day kindergarten is of some help to kids ... but is it worth the cost that will take $$$ away from other needs? that's a debate for another day. IMO, there should be a referendum on that (I'd vote YES) and on the "computers for kids" initiative -- I'd be more in favor of a bring-your-own-device initiative coupled with vouchers for kids that truly need the $$$.

I grew up on a large farm in Linden, VA, and so wanted to live closer in. Close-in Leesburg offers good schools plus some of the amenities I like having nearby.

GL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 12:21 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,328,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Btingle76 View Post
For kindergarten, I am not too concerned about the half day, just curious. Do most parents that choose private kindergarten do so because of work schedules? Are there still plenty of children that do half day without an enrichment program. I am thinking it would be a good transition from part time preschool which he is in now.
My kids don't do enrichment, mainly because I'm a stay-at-home-mom anyway and paying for two kids at a time is expensive. Some of their classmates do enrichment every day, some do it only a couple days a week. One of the problems with half-day is that they are covering the same amount of material as other school districts in less time. My kids sometimes bring home work to finish that they didn't get to during the day. They are expected to be able to do a lot academically in first grade, and those expectations, combined with the logistical and social transitions to full day (including things like having lunch in the cafeteria, getting up early for kids who were in PM K, etc.) mean that first grade can be a lot tougher for the kids who only did half-day.

The other problem with kindergarten in this part of Loudoun, as I mentioned earlier, is that the classes are full. One teacher (plus an aide) with 25 kindergarteners is harder for everyone than in a school with 20 or fewer kids in a class.

Old 02-11-2014, 02:13 PM

31 posts, read 79,807 times
Where can you find the enrichment programs that are a few days a week. I'm going to start compiling info. Thanks!

Old 02-11-2014, 08:13 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,328,214 times
Here are some of the ones I know of:

Kindertown
KEP Academy
Here We Grow

Old 02-13-2014, 07:29 AM

531 posts, read 1,433,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
I live in Brambleton; my husband works in Herndon; my kids are in kindergarten at Legacy ES.

- It takes my husband about 15 minutes to get to his office (on Sunrise Valley, near Herndon-Monroe Park and Ride). He leaves well after morning rush, though.

- You cannot base any decision on the schools, especially since Willowsford is a by-right community and did not proffer any school sites. After the most recent elementary rezoning which took effect this year, Creighton's Corner is predicted to be overcapacity again in fall of 2015. The next elementary school to be built per the Capital Improvement Plan is ES-27 (site TBD), scheduled to open in fall of 2016. Brambleton proffered a third elementary site and that should be what is used for this school; if so, it will be closer to Willowsford and that is probably where you will be rezoned.

Here is what can happen when the schools are overcapacity. In 2012-2013, Legacy was overcapacity, so kids were overflowed to Creighton's Corner, but then CC filled up, so kids were overflowed to Rosa Lee Carter in Loudoun Valley Estates.

For kindergarten registration, it is first come, first served. Last spring, I showed up at 6:30 a.m. to register my kids at Legacy and people had been camping out since 4 a.m. (Legacy was left overcapacity after the elementary redistricting.) I had line numbers 115 and 116 (I have twins), and there are only 150 spots (3 morning classes, 3 afternoon classes). Creighton's Corner overall is undercapacity, but they filled all their kindergarten spots and had to add another class so their kids didn't overflow again.

The real problem is first grade. So many people put their kids in private full-day kindergarten, and those kids come back into the system the following year. If you don't go to kindergarten at your assigned school, you lose your priority for first grade - meaning, there is a chance, if your school is overcapacity, that you won't get a spot. (Right now, Legacy has 149 kindergarteners [6 classes] and 191 first-graders [7 classes]; Creighton's Corner has 147 kindergarteners [6 classes] and 165 first-graders [6 classes].)
Thank you for the incredibly helpful post! I like Willowsford a lot but can't make a decision because of the school situation. Your post is so informative.

Old 02-28-2015, 02:28 PM

2 posts, read 3,011 times
Willowsford fees include resort style pools- there are 2 sites with large resort style pools- both have a separate kids pool and one location has an additional kid play pool. There are numerous playgrounds, community activities, cooking classes, walking and bike trails, a huge gym that is more like a real gym. When you do want to build something you do need to seek approval, like any HOA you need to seek approval, but there is a one time fee for a team to review to make sure it is in line with the community feel and to protect residents really- there is not an additional charge each time if it doesn't comply and its pretty painless for an HOA. The fee to apply for review ranges from $25-$125 and depends on the type of project you are doing (amount of $$ for the job, etc). You can apply for several improvements at once with only one fee. Example- patio, deck, fence on one fee. This is likely not to stay as a fee the entire time as more residents are in and paying towards the HOA amenities and staff to keep them up. Keep in mind, Willowsford has won "community of the year" the past 3 years for a reason-- the investors built every amenity at the beginning for residents to enjoy-most in northern VA including Brambelton/Broadlands, the investors do not build until every last lot has been sold and they are getting the monthly HOA fee from all residents. This is why there is a fee for review for an improvement. There is talk the fee will not last. There are also not as many homes here- only single family homes allowed here and they will not allow more than 2000 in all areas and the Grange will only have a total of 350 when complete- which is wonderful when considering the amount of people that share the pools, etc. There are no town homes or condos with additional residents sharing the pools & amenities. We have cabanas at our pools. There is a real sense of a community and neighborhood here. Living in the Grange (Ashburn part of Willowsford)- we can walk to a farm stand to get all our veggies, fruits, flowers, walk to the pool, walk to the Sycamore House, walk to our HUGE dog park, walk to cooking classes at the Sycamore House, there is even a Willowsford swim team for our kids. Brambelton shopping center is less than a 5 minute drive and access to RT 50 is less than 5 minutes. Our community even plows when there is snow- the paths and streets. I hope this answers some of the questions & misinformation provided about Willowsford. The school system for the Grange part of Willowsford is outstanding- I am sure the other parts are outstanding as well but can't speak directly to it as I live in the Ashburn part of Willowsford. Willowsford really is a beautiful community and every amenity that was promised is here and as wonderful as it was described. Also- a note about the landscaping- the builders are required by the HOA to give you that landscaping at your home, just like the HOA requires the builders to only offer sideload garages, hardiplank and architectural shingle roofs- our lawn guy was very impressed with our beautiful landscaping that was builder required/provided. Hope this helps! : )

Last edited by MNova; 02-28-2015 at 02:48 PM..

Old 02-28-2015, 03:36 PM

239 posts, read 283,139 times
Curious, where are you moving from?

Old 07-26-2015, 07:35 AM

31 posts, read 79,807 times
Alexandria, VA- close to Del Ray and Old Town

Old 07-26-2015, 10:40 AM

274 posts, read 350,417 times
Willowsford is such a cool community concept. I love the farmers market and farm concepts within the neighborhood. The areas around Willowsford are really growing too with lots of shopping within a few miles. I believe a new elementary school is being put right outside the community as well.

Old 07-26-2015, 03:30 PM

989 posts, read 2,864,407 times
Willowsford voted down the elementary school so I believe the school board is still looking for an alternative. That being said, that neighborhood is most likely facing several years of rezoning (the entire area down there is being moved around). The school in the neighborhood would have secured them some stability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia