Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2014, 09:04 AM

7 posts, read 28,781 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Fairfax county from upstate newyork to take up a new job. I have a 3 year old son diagnosed with autism who is attending preschool program. He is currently getting very good services, Can somebody please tell me how are the special education services provided in fairfax county. Any information will be helpful for us to decide to move.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 01:25 PM

9 posts, read 15,720 times
Fairfax County is where you want to be. My 2 and a half year old is in the Preschool Autism Class (otherwise known as PAC). The ratio is amazing, they use ABA to teach, and he is thriving and improving. They work on communication, social skills, and managing behaviors. It is highly structured and I have only ever heard good things from other parents. I feel very blessed to have these services available at no cost to us.

It was very hard to put my 2.5 year old on a bus for a full day of school BUT he has gained much more from PAC than private ABA.

There is also non-cat class which is a half-day, and the ratio is not as strict. I don't think they focus on ABA as much. There is a wider range of disabilities in the non-cat class. I imagine my son will transition to non-cat soon since he's made so much progress in PAC.

Old 02-12-2014, 04:54 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,428,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LISpecialMom View Post
I am moving to Fairfax county from upstate newyork to take up a new job. I have a 3 year old son diagnosed with autism who is attending preschool program. He is currently getting very good services, Can somebody please tell me how are the special education services provided in fairfax county. Any information will be helpful for us to decide to move.
I'm sure you want the personal experiences, but here is also a link to FCPS website about it, Fairfax County Public Schools: Special Education Instruction:Early Childhood Identification and Services: Summary of Services. Check out the other links there too. I'm assuming he currently has an IEP. If so, he can immediately get services. Contact FCPS and let them know. Programs are throughout the county but not at every elementary school so he may not attend your neighborhood school but one nearby that covers your neighborhood school. Having a current IEP will definitely speed up the process. Good luck and welcome!

Old 02-14-2014, 09:02 AM

7 posts, read 28,781 times
Thanks for providing me this information. I am really happy to know that FCPS has such good preschool program for kids on the spectrum. Can you please tell me which pyramid does your child's school fall under. I have previously heard lot of bad things about NOVA special ed services due to which we were not able to make the decision to move.

Old 02-15-2014, 04:27 AM

23 posts, read 74,419 times
Saturday March 1st, Fairfax will host its annual Special Education Conference. Fairfax County Public Schools: Special Services: Special Services: Special Education Conference
The conference is excellent; hundreds of Fairfax residents attend every year. In addition to choices of workshops, there is an exhibit hall where they have vendors and providers. I believe that this conference is hosted by the Parent Resource Center. The Parent Resource Center is awesome! Maybe start by contacting them with any questions or concerns you may have about services in Fairfax.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:59 AM

36 posts, read 19,826 times
I am trying to move to Herndon and get some info on PAC near to Herndon. Or PAC location is decided by services?
As I haven't moved till so I would like to decide which location based on PAC. Any inputs regarding Fairfax country (preferably near to Herndon) would help.

Thanks.

Old 07-28-2014, 09:57 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,428,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amarv79 View Post
I am trying to move to Herndon and get some info on PAC near to Herndon. Or PAC location is decided by services?
As I haven't moved till so I would like to decide which location based on PAC. Any inputs regarding Fairfax country (preferably near to Herndon) would help.

Thanks.
Every state or district seems to have their own acronyms. What is PAC? Not familiar with it in FCPS, at least I'm not.

Old 07-28-2014, 01:51 PM

9,873 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choff5 View Post
Every state or district seems to have their own acronyms. What is PAC? Not familiar with it in FCPS, at least I'm not.
[LEFT]Preschool autism class (PAC) services are designed to address the specific needs of preschool-age children who have been identified as having Autism Spectrum Disorder or present characteristics on the autism spectrum, and who cannot benefit from the early childhood class-based program. The program uses Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) and Verbal Behavior (VB) to foster communication, social skills, appropriate behavior and other skill development. Classes are designed with a reduced adult to student ratio and systematic instruction is provided in a highly structured setting to maximize learning.

Fairfax County Public Schools: Special Education Instruction:Early Childhood Identification and Services: Summary of Services

[/LEFT]

Old 07-28-2014, 08:36 PM

349 posts, read 1,430,625 times
Does anyone know if they transfer from another school district to Fairfax as to whether they will automatically transfer into one of their autism pre-school programs.

Old 07-28-2014, 09:14 PM

9,873 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack View Post
Does anyone know if they transfer from another school district to Fairfax as to whether they will automatically transfer into one of their autism pre-school programs.
not sure how you are "transferring from another school district", as the actual program refers to "pre-school". If your children are old enough to be in schools in other school districts, they won't qualify for a pre-school program in Fairfax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia