Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2014, 08:36 PM

2 posts, read 6,140 times

Advertisements

My husband received orders to Quantico, VA and we're coming all the way from California. My son is 3.5 and is mildly autistic. He receives ABA services, speech therapy and occupational therapy as well he attends a special education preschool. Everything is working very nicely and I'm hoping to find these services north of Quantico, no further North than the northern-most part of I-495. So I want to hear people's opinions on these things:

1) Best ABA service company in that area and why I should use them. (These are the first couple I've read about and seem interested in; Achieve Beyond Pediatric Therapy, Continuum Autism Spectrum Alliance, C.A.R.D.)

2) Best Schools/ school districts for preschool and elementary special education programs.

3) In addition to great schools, where would you recommend living to insure being able to attend these schools. Our budget may effect this somewhat. We are looking to rent initially and our price range would be 1700-2000 a month. Don't want to be more than a 45 minute drive from Quantico.

4) My son is receiving bio-medical treatment for his autism and it's doing wonders. Does anyone have a great MAPS or DAN Doctor? Or if anyone has a great doctor on base that is supportive of bio-medical treatments we would be interested in that very much! We have Tricare Standard right now so we could see a very special Doctor and we couldn't get to the specialty doctor on base so we have to change from Tricare Prime to Standard. It's getting rather pricey and if we could find a great doctor on base that would help alleviate the cost of his treatments.

5) Any other information I should be aware of in moving to Virginia with a special needs child it would be very much appreciated.

Thank you all in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 07:14 AM

531 posts, read 1,428,907 times
Dcurbanmom has a special needs kids forum. You can post your questions without registration. You have a better chance getting your questions answered there.

http://www.dcurbanmom.com/jforum/forums/show/36.page

Old 02-13-2014, 08:51 AM

9 posts, read 16,193 times
OP...sent you a PM!

Old 02-13-2014, 09:11 AM

9 posts, read 15,723 times
Did you get any responses regarding a DAN/MAPS doctor? We're shopping around for one (for my [almost] 3 year old.) We are also Tricare Standard and have almost reached our catastrophic cap! As far as where to live for services, my vote goes to Fairfax County. My son has come a long way in their Preschool Autism Classroom. It is quite expensive in Fairfax CO, though. We live in a 3 bedroom/3 bath townhouse in Chantilly for $2100 a month rent. I would suggest looking around Centreville, Chantilly, and maybe Burke.

Edited to add: We use Family Priority for in-home ABA services, and I have no complaints. Still, he gets WAY more out of PAC. (Preschool Autism Classroom.) It's a full school day on Tues, Thurs, Fri and half days on Monday and Wednesdays. They use ABA to teach, there is an extremely low student-teach ratio (I think 2 to 1?) and it's very structured. There is also non-cat class for a wider disability range. They don't use ABA, and it's a half-day of school. The student-teacher ratio is less, but I also hear good things about non-cat!

Old 02-13-2014, 10:09 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,594,189 times
I'll DM you also...

Overall, this area has good resources, services, and awareness when it comes to Autism. The top three resources for an overview of services and support are:
Parents Of Autistic Children of Northern Virginia
ASNV
The Arc of Virginia | For people with intellectual and developmental disabilities

If you want to talk to someone directly, check out the following page for local advocates. They can speak with you informally and share their personal opinions/experiences about school and other services. In addition to STOMP, most of them are associated with PEATC which is another good resource. STOMP-Specialized Training of Military Parents

Are you a Marine family and is your son enrolled in EFMP? If so, I'd call Quantico's Family Support for EFMP. The main number is 571-931-0524. They have several case workers. One I know is responsive is Stephanie at 571-931-0529. They're closed for a snow day today. They should be able to address all of your questions, make referrals, and provide other support services. Exceptional Family Member Program (EFMP) - MCCS Quantico

Schools - Best County around here for Autism and IEPs is Fairfax County. Then, within the County, some schools are better than others when it comes to accommodations. One of the advocates from the STOMP link should be able to address this in more detail. Check out FCPS Parent Resource Center for more information and contacts you can call with specific questions about the school system and available supports. Fairfax County Public Schools

Tricare - is your ABA covered under the demonstration project right now? Have you considered getting Tricare ECHO? If your son has an Autism diagnosis and a physician's recommendation for ABA therapy that could be a good option for you. If you don't have an ECHO contact I can give you one.

I'll DM you about ABA...

Old 02-13-2014, 12:37 PM

9 posts, read 16,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
I'll DM you also...

Overall, this area has good resources, services, and awareness when it comes to Autism. The top three resources for an overview of services and support are:
Parents Of Autistic Children of Northern Virginia
ASNV
The Arc of Virginia | For people with intellectual and developmental disabilities

If you want to talk to someone directly, check out the following page for local advocates. They can speak with you informally and share their personal opinions/experiences about school and other services. In addition to STOMP, most of them are associated with PEATC which is another good resource. STOMP-Specialized Training of Military Parents

Are you a Marine family and is your son enrolled in EFMP? If so, I'd call Quantico's Family Support for EFMP. The main number is 571-931-0524. They have several case workers. One I know is responsive is Stephanie at 571-931-0529. They're closed for a snow day today. They should be able to address all of your questions, make referrals, and provide other support services. Exceptional Family Member Program (EFMP) - MCCS Quantico

Schools - Best County around here for Autism and IEPs is Fairfax County. Then, within the County, some schools are better than others when it comes to accommodations. One of the advocates from the STOMP link should be able to address this in more detail. Check out FCPS Parent Resource Center for more information and contacts you can call with specific questions about the school system and available supports. Fairfax County Public Schools

Tricare - is your ABA covered under the demonstration project right now? Have you considered getting Tricare ECHO? If your son has an Autism diagnosis and a physician's recommendation for ABA therapy that could be a good option for you. If you don't have an ECHO contact I can give you one.

I'll DM you about ABA...
I too am curious about ABA providers, as we are moving to Lo. County in 2 months. Would you mind sharing your thoughts/experiences with me as well at your convenience? Im looking for as many experiences as possible. Thanks!

Old 04-08-2015, 08:30 AM

25 posts, read 36,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindyjthompson View Post
My husband received orders to Quantico, VA and we're coming all the way from California. My son is 3.5 and is mildly autistic. He receives ABA services, speech therapy and occupational therapy as well he attends a special education preschool. Everything is working very nicely and I'm hoping to find these services north of Quantico, no further North than the northern-most part of I-495. So I want to hear people's opinions on these things:

1) Best ABA service company in that area and why I should use them. (These are the first couple I've read about and seem interested in; Achieve Beyond Pediatric Therapy, Continuum Autism Spectrum Alliance, C.A.R.D.)

2) Best Schools/ school districts for preschool and elementary special education programs.

3) In addition to great schools, where would you recommend living to insure being able to attend these schools. Our budget may effect this somewhat. We are looking to rent initially and our price range would be 1700-2000 a month. Don't want to be more than a 45 minute drive from Quantico.

4) My son is receiving bio-medical treatment for his autism and it's doing wonders. Does anyone have a great MAPS or DAN Doctor? Or if anyone has a great doctor on base that is supportive of bio-medical treatments we would be interested in that very much! We have Tricare Standard right now so we could see a very special Doctor and we couldn't get to the specialty doctor on base so we have to change from Tricare Prime to Standard. It's getting rather pricey and if we could find a great doctor on base that would help alleviate the cost of his treatments.

5) Any other information I should be aware of in moving to Virginia with a special needs child it would be very much appreciated.

Thank you all in advance

http://leapahead.org/ace-program/

Email:
info@leapahead.org

Address10686 Crestwood Drive (Suite A & B)

Manassas

Virginia

Old 04-08-2015, 08:33 AM

25 posts, read 36,835 times
This one is in home so they come to you. You may also want to contact Prince William Speech and hearing and Chosen therapies.

http://www.appliedbehavioralsolutions.net/

Email:
administrator@appliedbehavioralsolutions.net

Hide Phone NumbersOffice:
(703) 635-9075

Fax:
(703) 890-3090
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia