Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 06:26 PM

37 posts, read 82,921 times

Advertisements

I need help finding a good veterinary oncology in northern virginia for my cat.

He has cancer and on 4th round of chemo right not. But I not happy with the oncology center(in leesburg) that is treating him. I searched on Google and found there is not many oncology center in this area.
This is my regular bill.
Cost for chemo treatment is $450 (every 3 weeks)
Cost for chemo treatment plus ultrasound is $850 (every 9 weeks)

The bill is expensive but my most concern is that I don't see the love of animal from a vet who is treating my cat. Vets from this oncology center look so nice and clean as if they are ready for a magazine photo shoot. It tells me that they don't touch animal at all. And I am wondering if I put my cat with someone I can trust

Last edited by 1000; 02-15-2014 at 07:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 05:29 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,243,626 times
If you are not happy with what you are receiving in Leesburg then you have few options. What is happening in Leesburg? That place has an outstanding reputation.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:12 AM

The vet did the diagnosis without touching my cat. He/she reads from the lab paper and report paper. I just don't see how that will work without touching a real patient... Just a common sense

The emergency center is good but the oncology center is not... As I can see

Old 02-17-2014, 10:25 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,447,740 times
Have you asked your regular vet for an alternative? He/she should have additional resources besides one place. NoVa is a big area. Also, maybe a stretch, but have you considered contacting Virginia Tech's veterinary school to ask for a referral?

Best of luck.

Old 02-17-2014, 12:51 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
I"m sure I will come off as insensitive; however, unfortunately, this is the nature of oncology for both humans and animals. Human oncologists have some of the most notoriously bad bedside manner. Why? Because they deal with death of their patients more than just about any other branch of medicine.

Regarding the practice of oncology--they are diagnosing your animal, your animal comes to them with a known cancer and they treat that cancer with the aresenal of drugs at their disposal. For both humans and animals, there is a fairly regimented protocol for treating various cancers. They rely on these chemicals and they rely on the response provided in the labwork. I guess I don't understand your angst of them not touching your animal. That part of the workup should have been done during the diagnosis.

That said, having an animal with cancer is heartwrenching and I understand that you want your pet to feel loved and cared for while undergoing the treatment. You may not find that in an oncology practice...period.

When my dog had cancer (bladder) I consulted at South Paws in Fairfax with a doctor recommended by my vet. He was very caring and laid out my options for me. I chose not to do the chemo because, at best, it was going to give my dog an extra 6 months of life and there was no hope for an absolute cure. However, if I had decided to stay, I felt that they would have done a good job.

Old 02-17-2014, 01:57 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,169,137 times
We've taken our cats to the Regional Veternarian Referral Center in Springfield. (A long haul from Springfield, I know.) They cover oncology among other specialties. We happened to get the same vet who addressed our cats' respective lymphoma and kidney issues with a pleasant bedside manner. I believe his advice helped to prolong our senior cats' lives at least a year longer than they would have been otherwise.

Old 02-17-2014, 02:29 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
We've taken our cats to the Regional Veternarian Referral Center in Springfield. (A long haul from Springfield, I know.) They cover oncology among other specialties. We happened to get the same vet who addressed our cats' respective lymphoma and kidney issues with a pleasant bedside manner. I believe his advice helped to prolong our senior cats' lives at least a year longer than they would have been otherwise.

I've also used them when my dog shattered her leg. Very good surgeon there about 10 years back (from New Zealand on some transfer program). I didn't realize they did oncology also.

Old 02-17-2014, 04:16 PM

957 posts, read 2,022,046 times
We used Dr. Beck at the Hope Center Oncology Department for our dog and were very pleased. I have no idea how they are with cats, and we didn't go through Chemo, but I imagine they would be good with cats as well.

Old 02-17-2014, 05:17 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I"m sure I will come off as insensitive; however, unfortunately, this is the nature of oncology for both humans and animals. Human oncologists have some of the most notoriously bad bedside manner. Why? Because they deal with death of their patients more than just about any other branch of medicine.

Regarding the practice of oncology--they are diagnosing your animal, your animal comes to them with a known cancer and they treat that cancer with the aresenal of drugs at their disposal. For both humans and animals, there is a fairly regimented protocol for treating various cancers. They rely on these chemicals and they rely on the response provided in the labwork. I guess I don't understand your angst of them not touching your animal. That part of the workup should have been done during the diagnosis.

That said, having an animal with cancer is heartwrenching and I understand that you want your pet to feel loved and cared for while undergoing the treatment. You may not find that in an oncology practice...period.

When my dog had cancer (bladder) I consulted at South Paws in Fairfax with a doctor recommended by my vet. He was very caring and laid out my options for me. I chose not to do the chemo because, at best, it was going to give my dog an extra 6 months of life and there was no hope for an absolute cure. However, if I had decided to stay, I felt that they would have done a good job.
I'm going to have to agree with Christine. By the time you are in front of an oncologist, physical exams are pretty much over. At that point, you are dealing with lab results, x-rays, C-T scans, MRIs, ultrasounds, etc. Personally, I would look for the best of the best in terms of medical knowledge, and forgo bedside manner. I know that I will be able to provide all of the bedside love and affection my pet will need. I need the oncologist for medical expertise.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
I'm going to have to agree with Christine. By the time you are in front of an oncologist, physical exams are pretty much over. At that point, you are dealing with lab results, x-rays, C-T scans, MRIs, ultrasounds, etc. Personally, I would look for the best of the best in terms of medical knowledge, and forgo bedside manner. I know that I will be able to provide all of the bedside love and affection my pet will need. I need the oncologist for medical expertise.
Who did the physical exam before the oncologist come to me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia