Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2014, 05:39 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,861,436 times

Advertisements

Ok - so I have used Turbo Tax for the last 11 years. This year....I was doing it and the software on one portion keeps messing me up. I'm at my wits end. Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced 'tax buy' who might still be available and able to help? We have two houses, my husband and I currently live in two separate states, etc., etc.... This is so last minute but I didn't know I'd be having such issues and I'm at my wits end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 07:57 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,260,603 times
My wife and I just used Anita Martindell in Old Town Manassas and I could not believe how reasonable she was. I don't have her address but if you are looking at the Philadelphia Tavern in Old Town she is in the building to the left. You go in the front door and her office, with one or two exployees, is straight ahead on the right. If you Google her you will not get the correct address. I can get her number later from the wife. This year was our biggest tax bill ever due to our salaries and she was able to bring it down a few thousand dollars from what the wife found.
I've known Anita for years but have never used her until now. I know many people who use her and think the world of her.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:15 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,686,074 times
You probably do not need a CPA. It has to be a pretty complicated return to require a CPA...otherwise you'd be wasting money.

I'd look for an "enrolled agent".

Their association website explains what they are and how to find one:

NAEA | Powering America's Tax Experts

Old 03-19-2014, 08:28 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,861,436 times
Thanks. And thanks for the advice of Anita Martindell, I just may look her up.

Old 03-19-2014, 11:41 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,872,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
You probably do not need a CPA. It has to be a pretty complicated return to require a CPA...otherwise you'd be wasting money.

I'd look for an "enrolled agent".

Their association website explains what they are and how to find one:

NAEA | Powering America's Tax Experts
FYI, an enrolled agent qualifies a person to do 2 things: represent you before the IRS for a tax dispute if they are not your employee or did not prepare the tax return for you, or sign a return on your behalf using a power of attorney if you are unable to do so for yourself.

There is no training to be a EA, no accounting or tax education background, and some just take a test to get the EA designation. Many do not take the test at all and become an EA by virtue of being an ex IRS employee. Most of the EAs I meet are ex-IRS revenue officers, which are tax collectors (not tax examiners) and they are glorified bill collectors with no tax knowledge or expertise.

These are some of the worst tax advisors I have ever seen and many of them are borderline fraudsters (they often advertise heavily as settling IRS disputes for pennies on the dollar).

Honestly, hiring an EA is in minefield and it is much easier to hire a CPA that are subject to strict state regulation and the joke of the regulation the IRS provides for EAs (i.e. basically none). CPAs that are members of the AICPA have additional ethics obligations and professional education requirements.

Old 03-19-2014, 03:03 PM

104 posts, read 171,217 times
We use Sima Jabbour from Jabbour and Associates on Lessburg Pike in Alexandria. We have used her for over 10 years since we had businesses, an overseas company and things that make it complicated and she does a great job. We do it all by phone and email.

Old 03-19-2014, 05:51 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,686,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim04 View Post
FYI, an enrolled agent qualifies a person to do 2 things: represent you before the IRS for a tax dispute if they are not your employee or did not prepare the tax return for you, or sign a return on your behalf using a power of attorney if you are unable to do so for yourself.

There is no training to be a EA, no accounting or tax education background, and some just take a test to get the EA designation. Many do not take the test at all and become an EA by virtue of being an ex IRS employee. Most of the EAs I meet are ex-IRS revenue officers, which are tax collectors (not tax examiners) and they are glorified bill collectors with no tax knowledge or expertise.

These are some of the worst tax advisors I have ever seen and many of them are borderline fraudsters (they often advertise heavily as settling IRS disputes for pennies on the dollar).

Honestly, hiring an EA is in minefield and it is much easier to hire a CPA that are subject to strict state regulation and the joke of the regulation the IRS provides for EAs (i.e. basically none). CPAs that are members of the AICPA have additional ethics obligations and professional education requirements.

I am very familiar with CPAs. I pay through the nose for mine to prepare a complex return.

My point was that most people don't need a CPA.

I don't believe I stated that an EA is a guarantee of anything. Like everything in life, there are good and bad. As always, you have to do your homework.

Old 03-19-2014, 06:57 PM

179 posts, read 299,300 times
To clarify about CPAs...I am a CPA and the only tax return I ever look at or prepare is my own simple 1040, so as with EAs, not all CPAs are equal when it comes to taxes...

Old 03-21-2014, 01:29 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,872,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
I am very familiar with CPAs. I pay through the nose for mine to prepare a complex return.

My point was that most people don't need a CPA.

I don't believe I stated that an EA is a guarantee of anything. Like everything in life, there are good and bad. As always, you have to do your homework.
An EA isn't an alternative to a CPA and never has been, or even an accounting degree. It was meant to be a screening method to limit who can represent someone in an IRS dispute.

It doesn't not signify any expertise in tax matters or any educational requirements. That is what I meant to get across. Especially in DC, where there are so many ex-IRS employees that are exempted from the EA test.

If you need to interact with the IRS, your tax preparer won't do it, and you cannot afford a CPA or lawyer, then an EA is the only other type of person that can do it. That's what the EA is for.

So if you are in a tax dispute, yes, an EA is an alternative to a CPA or lawyer (the traditional representatives before the IRS). But the EA is not proof that they can file your tax returns in a competent manner.

In my experience, a person with an accounting degree (CPA or not) and experience in tax preparation is much more qualified then an EA to prepare a tax return. And if you have a dispute on the return, the IRS tax code allows them to represent you for that return.

Also, not all CPAs charge high fees for tax returns. The ones that do are those that are geared to small businesses and have too much work in March and April to deal with ordinary run of the mill clients, so they charge their small business rates. Some CPAs focus on more high volume individual returns during the season, and have a small business client base that uses a fiscal year so their returns are not due for a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia