Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 11:09 AM

11 posts, read 39,720 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering a rental house in that neighborhood. Can anyone give me some info on it? It's surprisingly reasonably priced, so I am a bit suspicious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 11:18 AM

1,449 posts, read 3,170,726 times
My daughter went to an in-home daycare there for 2 years, and we like that neighborhood. The elementary school is quite good, and is one of the 37 in the county that still have half-day Kindergarten, which means there are very few economically disadvantaged children there (I'm looking for a full-day K program for next year, though, and because of how far down this school is on the "poor" scale, it is unlikely to get it anytime soon). It also has a Japanese language immersion program that is sought after (my friend who teaches in FCPS hears rave reviews and wants to move there herself) - you have to apply to get in through a lottery program and it starts in grade 1.

I am curious to hear more about the neighborhood from someone who has lived there, but these outsider things say a lot. We're looking at either buying or renting there, as well.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:45 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,087,409 times
Some people don't like the fact that Fox Mill ES is one of few schools assigned to Carson MS that is now assigned to South Lakes HS (part of Floris ES is also assigned to South Lakes). That redistricting took place in 2008. Most Carson students go to Westfield HS instead, though a few also go to Oakton.

Not necessarily a biggie, but possibly enough to bring down prices a bit compared to homes in nearby Oak Hill or Crossfield ES districts. Oak Hill goes to Chantilly and most of Crossfield goes to Oakton (a small section of Crossfield also goes to South Lakes).

Old 03-07-2011, 11:51 AM

11 posts, read 39,720 times
Do you happen to know what the crime (or lack thereof) is like? Is it a neighborhood where I would feel safe walking the dog at night? Keeping in mind that the dog in question couldn't really offer any protection

Old 03-07-2011, 11:55 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,087,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTransplant1981 View Post
Do you happen to know what the crime (or lack thereof) is like? Is it a neighborhood where I would feel safe walking the dog at night? Keeping in mind that the dog in question couldn't really offer any protection
I think the subdivisions would be safe for an evening walk - it's typical NoVa suburbia. However, I would not walk on the sidewalks or other areas along the Fairfax County Parkway - which cuts through the Fox Mill ES district - late at night.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:06 PM

100 posts, read 220,007 times
I grew up in Fox Mill and would move back there with no reservations whatsoever. Granted, I've lost touch with the goings-on in the neighborhood--my parents moved away 15 years ago, when I was in college--but I've driven and walked through several times in recent years, and it looks like the same family-friendly, comfortable place I used to know. In short, I don't think you need to worry about walking through the neighborhood after dark.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:41 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,616,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
I think the subdivisions would be safe for an evening walk - it's typical NoVa suburbia. However, I would not walk on the sidewalks or other areas along the Fairfax County Parkway - which cuts through the Fox Mill ES district - late at night.
whynot?

Old 03-07-2011, 11:44 PM

2,090 posts, read 4,245,857 times
[SIZE=2][SIZE=2]The link below won't tell you where crime is happening but will give you arrest records for people who live on specific streets.

Fairfax Underground Arrest/Ticket Search
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]

Old 03-08-2011, 06:38 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,075,798 times
I wouldn't recommend taking a long walk anywhere late at night (late at night meaning after 11 p.m. or so).

If you're just out walking a dog, I think you'd be fine. Most people who take a dog out for a walk late at night usually just walk around the block or down to the end of the street and back. I think you'd be fine doing that.

I'm not sure what the concern is with the trail along the parkway. I suppose you run the risk of a sleepy driver running off the road and hitting a pedestrian. FWIW, I haven't heard many (if any) stories about that happening on the news--and that's the type of thing you'd read about in the paper. To be honest, I probably wouldn't walk my dog along the Parkway late at night, either, simply because it's out of the way. Walk around your block, and you'll be fine. But if you do want to walk along the Parkway, I suppose it could feel more secure in some ways since thousands of people are driving by all the time and headlights provide lots of lighting.

Last edited by Caladium; 03-08-2011 at 07:01 AM..

Old 04-05-2011, 09:31 PM

1 posts, read 5,248 times
I am a resident in the neighborhood for the past 12 years. It is a very family friendly place. Foxmill ES is very sought after for its JP immersion program and the teacher quality at the regular program is quite good as well. It has a very active and involved PTA. Prices are reasonable compared to other areas mainly because the homes here are a bit older, mostly built in mid 70s to mid 80s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia