Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 03:47 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,245,563 times

Advertisements

Anyone here use or have had a gas log set up installed in your fireplace? We have a fireplace but rarely use it any longer, at least using wood. It's not very efficient except for heating the one room it is in. I might have one installed for the wife who hates being cold while in this room watching TV. Any company in the NOVA area you'd feel comfortable recommending? Was it difficult going through the process with permits and inspections?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 06:00 AM

1,256 posts, read 4,196,028 times
I do not have personal experience with these guys but, anecdotally, have heard good things about them - especially the fact that their showroom has a gajillion working fireplaces: gas fireplace retailer. I'm sure, however, that any permits/etc would be handled by them, not by you.

[awhile back I had a gas stove installed - that required a new branch off an existing gas installation. The gas fitter installed a "manifold" that will allow future gas devices, such as a conversion of our wood-burning fireplace - if we choose to do so. During all that I do not remember any separate inspection, probably because the gas fitter was properly licensed]

Last edited by sullyguy; 10-24-2013 at 06:11 AM..

Old 10-24-2013, 08:31 AM

111 posts, read 315,175 times
Have you thought about a blower being installed in the fireplace? There are also inserts that you can install. Focuses the heat to be blown out into the room/house. Cheaper and wont have to deal with a rising gas bill.

Old 10-24-2013, 10:23 AM

540 posts, read 790,988 times
Just so you know, most gas logs don't actually throw out a lot of heat. They are great for ease of use and aesthetics. If you are really looking to warm up a room, I'd go with an insert like the poster above suggests. It'll be more expensive, but also more efficient and more useful.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:06 PM

462 posts, read 1,210,750 times
We converted our fireplace to gas about 3 years ago. My husband ran the line around the outside of the house to the fireplace himself (with the guidance of the Loudoun County permit office) since the quotes to do this were extreme. We then purchased the set from Lawn and Leisure in Sterling. They hooked us up with a guy that installed the set. County came back out after installation to double check. Really no hassles at all.

This is our main source of heat in the winter time....plenty to keep our 1700 sf house quite warm and toasty.

Old 10-24-2013, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 VII 7 View Post
Have you thought about a blower being installed in the fireplace? There are also inserts that you can install. Focuses the heat to be blown out into the room/house. Cheaper and wont have to deal with a rising gas bill.
The existing blower died several years ago. Any wood fire, using the blower, would run you out of this small room. I like the idea of being able to use a gas log fire that you can control.

Old 10-24-2013, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullyguy View Post
I do not have personal experience with these guys but, anecdotally, have heard good things about them - especially the fact that their showroom has a gajillion working fireplaces: gas fireplace retailer. I'm sure, however, that any permits/etc would be handled by them, not by you.

[awhile back I had a gas stove installed - that required a new branch off an existing gas installation. The gas fitter installed a "manifold" that will allow future gas devices, such as a conversion of our wood-burning fireplace - if we choose to do so. During all that I do not remember any separate inspection, probably because the gas fitter was properly licensed]
Thanks for the info.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:22 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,092,699 times
Mmmm, we did the opposite --- converted a gas log fireplace back to wood-burning. We hired a local HVAC guy since he needed to cap the lines and check everything.

As far as permits, it differs per city/county. A phone call to the county or city hall -- they can tell you.

Old 11-01-2013, 01:34 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,725,241 times
We had a wood-burning fireplace in our old house and have a gas fireplace now. The gas is definitely simpler, and my wife *thinks* it's safer--but there is no substitute for the hiss, pop, sizzle, and aroma of a real wood fire. And it did put out some serious heat to about 3 feet away.

As to the safety, if you have a glass door or chain-mail screen, the sparks don't get out of the front. And if you have the chimney cleaned every so often, you don't have to worry about creosote buildup. That said, the ceramic chimney liner in our old house was shot, so we had to have it replaced with a titanium one, to the tune of about $5000. (This also included installation of an easy-access cast-iron cleaning door on the exterior of the chimney outdoors.)

The gas fireplace we have now is lower maintenance and will probably be cheaper to run over the years--but we find it such an undersatisfying substitute for the real thing that we hardly bother turning it on.

I would bet that no permit is needed to retrofit back to wood, since the chimney is already there.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:16 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,092,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlington
And if you have the chimney cleaned every so often, you don't have to worry about creosote buildup. That said, the ceramic chimney liner in our old house was shot, so we had to have it replaced with a titanium one, to the tune of about $5000.
Just curious: what is the longevity of the titanium liner vs the clay liner and cost?

This is a good point to keep in mind -- the venting for whichever system the OP chooses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia