Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 08:14 PM

52 posts, read 63,695 times

Advertisements

Looking for SFH and unfortunately there is not so much on the market right now. We found one we like in Cascades and thinking of making an offer. Would you prefer Ashburn over Cascades and why? Thank you .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 08:15 PM

I should say not much in our price range with all the things we are looking for .

Old 04-05-2014, 08:25 PM

979 posts, read 1,778,124 times
I live in a community that neighbors Cascades. I like this area. Personally, I wouldn't pay the extra to live in Ashburn (I'm assuming comparable homes to what you are looking for are more expensive in Ashburn since, well, Ashburn is generally expensive).

Old 04-06-2014, 03:32 PM

30 posts, read 31,099 times
Keep I mind that many older homes in Cascades (Countryside) are all electric - an issue for outages. Homes in Cascades are a little less expensive with better access to usual retail. Rt 7 is always backed up 5am-8pm, but 267 and Rt 28 not quite so bad. Both areas have advantages and disadvantages. Ashburn has better schools I believe.

Old 04-06-2014, 03:37 PM

9,887 posts, read 14,159,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex bubba View Post
Keep I mind that many older homes in Cascades (Countryside) are all electric - an issue for outages.
Not sure I understand. What houses today don't have electricity?

Old 04-06-2014, 03:47 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,117,897 times
FWIW, Countryside is not in Cascades. Easy mistake to make--I thought the same thing myself until someone tipped me off. Countryside is about a decade or so older than Cascades, which is right next door. We had gas and electric in our house in Cascades, which was built in 1996.

We had a very positive experience in the Lowes Island section of Cascades. Easy access to stores, several parks within walking distance (for us, anyway, but we also enjoy taking long walks on the trails). Raised four kids, and they all seemed to enjoy the schools there. They went on to top level colleges and eventually got good jobs, so I can't complain about the schools.

Having said all this, I can't really compare it with Ashburn Village since I never lived there. I have some friends there and they seem happy. Either choice would probably be a good one.

Old 04-06-2014, 04:43 PM

232 posts, read 362,219 times
I looked in both areas when I was purchasing this past year. I think commute is definitely a factor for choosing between the two. I live in Cascades and am very happy with the decision. The location (for me) is superb with less commute than I would have had in Ashburn. But on top of that, all kinds of shopping are very close - grocery, home improvement, clothes, mall, etc. Convenience is a definite plus!

I like Cascades and can give it a good rating! Good luck.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:04 PM

Thank you all. The house we are looking at is actually in Potomac Falls. The whole cascade area seemed pretty to me. Schools have a good rating and my husband works in Sterling. We currently live in a townhouse in Herndon and I have a hard time with the older houses. We like to bike and walk.

Old 04-06-2014, 11:29 PM

Can you tell us what section of Cascades the house is in? Or give us a nearby intersection and we can tell you what section it's in and maybe a little bit about that neighborhood. Potomac Falls is sort of a catch-all nickname--it doesn't apply to any specific area.

Old 04-06-2014, 11:43 PM

If you like hiking, Cascades has all sorts of great trails, and if you live near Algonkian Park or Seneca Park you will be connected to the Heritage Trail. We could walk from our house all the way to Great Falls National Park (it took 4 hours, but was a great hike). I've seen lots of people out cycling, especially up and down Lowes Island Blvd., but the better cycling is probably in Ashburn since the WOD goes through there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: