Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2014, 12:10 PM

6 posts, read 10,471 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

We are first time home buyers and we recently saw the model to a to-be-built condo and liked it. We drove to the community a couple of times and found the place ourselves. In our effort to get a better offer, we then approached a realtor, who we were hoping would either negotiate with the builder for some upgrades, or at least refund us a part of his commission (Redfin does it all the time, so I figured why not this realtor).

We went to the property sales office for the third time, this time with the realtor being present with us. The sales office said the properties were selling like hot cakes and said we could reserve a home of our liking for 7 days till we decided on whether to go forward with it or not by signing a $0 'reservation deposit agreement' that included the name of the realtor as the one who referred us to the property. Also, we did not put any deposit down when signing this and we did not write any exclusivity agreement with the realtor or his parent company.

Now, I have found another realtor that is promising to refund us a part of his commission as closing cost(which the first one was not willing to do). Can I switch to the new guy at this point for the same property that I have locked in, or will it raise any legal issues for us later? I am guessing it should be ok, since I never signed any agreement with the Realtor himself. Just wanted some opinions on this from this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 02:00 PM

504 posts, read 1,213,570 times
Since you put down the name of the first agent with the developer, I assume this agent will get commission (if you end up buying that condo) and not the second one. The issue here will not so much about the first agent, but how the second agent will be able to get commission if you switch to him. Now if you move on and buy some **other** property with the second agent then I don't think there is any issue (again, since you don't have any exclusive agreement with the first agent for any period of time as you have stated).

Old 04-08-2014, 03:15 PM

2,772 posts, read 4,321,173 times
If its new development, why do you need a realtor? I bought my condo which was sold by developer without one, and told the developer I wanted that 3% pocketed so don't even include it as part of the negotiation. Whether or not at the end of the day it affected the price is objective but in my mind, the 3% was never there so being 3% below asking would be the same as asking, which helped guide me on what I was willing to offer.

Old 04-08-2014, 04:08 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,428,944 times
What you are referring to is "procurring cause," which basically means the person who showed the home first is entitled to the commission on it if that results in you buying the place soon after. You could close with the second guy, but then the first guy could theoretically come back and arbitrate for the commission since he was listed on your referral documents first. Maybe not an open/shut for the first guy, but still messy.

If the first realtor hasn't done any real work beyond showing up that one time, you could have the second guy contact the first guy and have him offer a buyer's agent referral fee to get out of the picture. First guy gets a little something for time he put in, second guy gets the commission, you get your rebate. Everyone wins.

Old 04-08-2014, 04:45 PM

531 posts, read 1,429,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
If its new development, why do you need a realtor? I bought my condo which was sold by developer without one, and told the developer I wanted that 3% pocketed so don't even include it as part of the negotiation. Whether or not at the end of the day it affected the price is objective but in my mind, the 3% was never there so being 3% below asking would be the same as asking, which helped guide me on what I was willing to offer.
A lot of developers (especially big national builders) won't do this. They sell you at the same price with or without a realtor.

When I bought my first home, I asked my builder this question. They told me to maintain an amicable relationship with realtors, they wouldn't drop the price for any buyer without a realtor.

Smaller builders may be more flexible. Also, things were a little different during the housing crisis.

Old 04-08-2014, 05:24 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,732,688 times
The normal agreement one signs with a realtor is that you can fire them any time, but if you buy a house they showed you or told you about, they get the commission (which is fair). If they failed to find you the house you end up buying, there's no reason they should be paid. They don't get paid for trying, just for succeeding.

Old 04-08-2014, 06:20 PM

9,884 posts, read 14,150,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newnewsmama View Post
A lot of developers (especially big national builders) won't do this. They sell you at the same price with or without a realtor.

When I bought my first home, I asked my builder this question. They told me to maintain an amicable relationship with realtors, they wouldn't drop the price for any buyer without a realtor.

Smaller builders may be more flexible. Also, things were a little different during the housing crisis.
.....Or more persistent buyers may be more effective. Just because they initially say they don't do it, doesn't mean they don't. I think they were trying to hardball, and you didn't even attempt to negotiate.

Old 04-08-2014, 06:21 PM

2,772 posts, read 4,321,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newnewsmama View Post

I bought from Donahoe in 2010 at Park Crest (400+ unit high rise). I assume they are a large builder, and I was very much able to tell them drop your price and btw the 3% is non-negotiable. Ended up under 10% asking... then again I'm middle eastern and negotiating/bartering is like an Olympic sport to us. I refuse to let someone, who is trying to get hundreds of thousands of dollars from me to make a profit (instead of losing money on the finance costs of holding onto it), dictate what I must do. I am the customer, on the largest purchase one can make, you better believe I will always be right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia