Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 07:54 PM

16 posts, read 37,765 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I'm looking at a house on Madonna Lane that backs to parkland. It's the second house from the corner which intersects Melville. So the house is on Madonna, not Melville but since it's pretty close to Melville is that not recommended because of Melville being a through street? Also, I can see pros and cons of backing to parkland. While it's nice to not have anything behind, I can also see where it might be a little less safe because there are no houses behind. My two main concerns are safety and resale value. I want to be sure I'm not buying something that I could potentially be stuck with because it's in a less desirable part/location of Greenbriar. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 07:29 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,438,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momofone23 View Post
Hi all, I'm looking at a house on Madonna Lane that backs to parkland. It's the second house from the corner which intersects Melville. So the house is on Madonna, not Melville but since it's pretty close to Melville is that not recommended because of Melville being a through street? Also, I can see pros and cons of backing to parkland. While it's nice to not have anything behind, I can also see where it might be a little less safe because there are no houses behind. My two main concerns are safety and resale value. I want to be sure I'm not buying something that I could potentially be stuck with because it's in a less desirable part/location of Greenbriar. Thanks!
Didn't see one listed so it must be new. I don't think being that close to Melville would be a problem. Melville is more of a cut through street than a through street, if that makes sense. Melville is busy, that's why they were able to get the speed humps, but not impossible to get out on it at an intersection. I would think backing to parkland would be an advantage, especially on resale. I won't say nothing ever happens but overall Greenbriar is a very safe area. I have walked the trail by myself during the day without worrying.

Old 05-05-2014, 07:37 AM

Thanks so much choff5 that is good to know. I actually just found a great "app" on the Fairfax County gov website where you can plug in an address, a radius up to one mile, and a date range and it comes up with all of the criminal activity on a map and tells you exactly what happened when and exact location. Nothing in Greenbriar itself, so that was good to see

Old 05-05-2014, 08:08 AM

1,449 posts, read 3,174,549 times
we've had the occasional break in (there was a group of teens going into houses through open windows and doors-moral was lock windows and doors at all times) and then the recent bb gun damage to cars, but it is a generally safe area.

We almost bought a house on melville, but it was closer to stringfellow. melville and madonna should be fine. and I agree-backing to parklan is a good thing.

our road got speed bumps right as we were moving in. it means people just make more noise as they speed over the bumps sorry, it is right outside our bedroom window, so it is noticeable at night when people hit that thing.

Old 05-05-2014, 08:27 AM

346 posts, read 552,536 times
One thing to mention about Madonna Lane is that it's close to Greenbriar Park, and on weekends you can definitely hear the microphone from the games. Yesterday, i was hearing the announcers in my backyard, and I live a bit further off from there on Maltese. Not sure if that's going to bother you OP with the noise, but it's only weekends during the day (I think).

Another thing to consider is the stream--when we get a lot of rain like the other week, how high does the water go up the banks? I've walked the path behind those houses and even on normal days the water does seem to flow fast. Can't imagine how much the water go up during a big rainstorm.

Other than that, Madonna Lane is a quiet street My wife and I like walking that loop with our son and rarely see any cars.

Old 05-06-2014, 02:02 AM

Thanks qtbrye that is really good information to know and consider and I really appreciate you telling me. There is a concern about the water especially because I went to see the house today and the yard has a slope down towards the house. Not a really steep slope but definite slope. I asked the homeowner because he was there, and especially asked about the rains last week. He seemed to be an honest straightforward guy and said that there was some water that pooled up at the door but that it seems to drain off to the sides and nothing entered the house. But now that I'm hearing what you are describing about the creek I am finding that difficult to believe.

One more thing that didn't dawn on me until I left from seeing the house today was that there is no fireplace. This is a Georgetown model and I've been in several and all had fireplaces except for this one. I don't know why I didn't think to look when I was there but it dawned on me later on. For me personally it's not necessarily a deal-breaker, however from research I've done, lack of a fireplace is an immediate deal breaker for many would be buyers.

As far as the noise from the games, is that going on all day long on Saturday and Sundays or is it just for a few hours each day? I wouldn't be thrilled and it would probably drive my dogs crazy so that is a concern. But a bigger concern is the water issue with the rains. Thank you so much again for letting me know about these things!!

Old 05-06-2014, 09:06 AM

1,449 posts, read 3,174,549 times
there are games at that park a lot, so if that is an issue, you might want to reconsider. However, closer to the HS, you'll hear games and track meets, too. A little more distant, probably, but if those things are an issue, you might want to look in the east section of the hood.

I don't think lack of a fireplace is that big of a dealbreaker for most. Our house (an Essex) doesn't have a fireplace. We haven't had one in 11 years. I never used the one in our condo, ever. I really wouldn't overthink that one.

Old 05-13-2014, 06:04 PM

Hi, back again. Just learned that apparently many of the homes in Greenbriar have Transite ducting, for heating/air ducts, which is a mixture of cement and asbestos (about 10-20% asbestos). If the ducts are not disturbed or cracked, then apparently it is not a threat, but I have heard that there can sometimes be water leakage into the ducts, which causes problems and just the thought of having air flowing through ducts that are even part asbestos is a bit worrisome. Not just for me, my son and dogs, but also for resale purposes. Wondered if any of you have heard any problems with this and if you have this ducting in your house?

Old 05-14-2014, 07:21 AM

346 posts, read 552,536 times
It sounds like you finally found a house in Greenbriar and under contract, congrats! Which house is it, the one near Greenbriar park?

My house has the under-slab Transite duct which is currently in use. My home inspector did not note any cracks or leaks, but I do plan to eventually "close" those ducts off and have new ones put in for peace of mind. I wasn't overly concern, but your post reminded me of the issue at hand and I'll look into having the air tested and get estimates for re-routing the ducts sooner rather than later.

If you're getting additional testings done as part of due diligence, please share with me the results!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia