Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2014, 05:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,192 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving from out of state to NOVA for our new jobs in May. He will be commuting to Ft. Myer (Arlington), and I will be working in downtown DC (McPherson SQ). This will be our first home purchase, and we're looking for a 3BR 2BA Townhouse that's reasonably close (under 10miles) to a metro station. We have 3 cars (can't leave his toy) and are hoping for a 1-car garage (This isn't a must, but def preferred). Our budget is limited at 350k, and we're going to stay in the area for sure for 3 yrs, but hopefully longer.

We've been looking mostly in the Alexandria/Springfield areas, some in Centerville/Lorton. The problem is the houses we have our eyes on that's within our budget and offers the garage and the size we want don't seem to be in the best neighborhoods.

1) Is the area off of Richmond Hwy/Route 1 (in ALEXANDRIA) close to Ft. Belvoir, Woodlawn/Mt. Vernon area a safe area, a good neighborhood? Sacramento Dr area?

We've driven by many times, and we are not too fond of the run-down look of the community around Route 1 (shopping centers, mom-n-pop type of stores, and streets don't have the vibrant safe look to us). According to Zillow.com, the zip code 22309 doesn't have the best schools either. (That's not a concern right now since we have no children, but we are thinking about resale or future rental down the road).

We really like one particular house and the only thing preventing us from making an offer is that we're uncertain about the neighborhood.

2) Is the area off of Richmond Hwy/Route 1 in Lorton/Springfield any good?

3) Is the area in West Springfield about 5miles from Springfield Metro a desirable area that will increase in value due to the Mall?

Anyone familiar with Zillow.com, is the schools rating a good indicator of the neighborhood/community? One a scale of 1-10, would anything less than a 5 deter you away from purchasing a home?

Any insights would help!! Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 06:46 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,008,157 times
All of the neighborhoods you mention are cheap for a reason. I hesitate to say the route 1 area is unsafe, but I will say it is a little less safe than say, most of Burke. The schools there are not desirable, so if you have children I would not choose that area. If you don't have children, then it's up to you to decide how you feel about living in a low-income area. I would caution you that even some of the nicer looking townhomes in that area will have serious neighbor issues - I mean, multiple families living in one home, crime inside the homes, prostitution, drugs, etc. While it's not dangerous like say, someplace in NYC, it does make for some unpleasant neighbors at times. In spite of that, I actually considered living there when I worked in that area, but I'm not sure it's a good investment as far as buying.

I'm not that familiar with Lorton, but I believe there are some nice townhomes down there. Perhaps someone will recommend neighborhoods.

No one knows what will happen with Springfield metro. In the past it was an OK place to rent for single adults. No idea about buying, though.

Have you checked areas of Burke and West Springfield? They may be older homes, but it seems a safer purchase to me.

I would check fcps.edu for information about schools. If you want to know about a neighborhood, just check the demographics for the local elementary school. If the school is Title 1 and has a large percentage of free and reduced lunch students, then the neighborhood is probably one of the less desirable ones.

Old 04-24-2014, 06:50 PM

6,569 posts, read 8,418,819 times
Sacramento Drive is not a good area. We lived in a condo down the road from Sacramento, and even our landlord said "avoid Sacramento".

Old 04-24-2014, 06:59 PM

8,984 posts, read 21,190,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxw831 View Post
My husband and I are moving from out of state to NOVA for our new jobs in May. He will be commuting to Ft. Myer (Arlington), and I will be working in downtown DC (McPherson SQ). This will be our first home purchase, and we're looking for a 3BR 2BA Townhouse that's reasonably close (under 10miles) to a metro station. We have 3 cars (can't leave his toy) and are hoping for a 1-car garage (This isn't a must, but def preferred). Our budget is limited at 350k, and we're going to stay in the area for sure for 3 yrs, but hopefully longer.

We've been looking mostly in the Alexandria/Springfield areas, some in Centerville/Lorton. The problem is the houses we have our eyes on that's within our budget and offers the garage and the size we want don't seem to be in the best neighborhoods.
$350K is tough even for a relatively close-in TH.

Quote:
1) Is the area off of Richmond Hwy/Route 1 (in ALEXANDRIA) close to Ft. Belvoir, Woodlawn/Mt. Vernon area a safe area, a good neighborhood? Sacramento Dr area?

We've driven by many times, and we are not too fond of the run-down look of the community around Route 1 (shopping centers, mom-n-pop type of stores, and streets don't have the vibrant safe look to us). According to Zillow.com, the zip code 22309 doesn't have the best schools either. (That's not a concern right now since we have no children, but we are thinking about resale or future rental down the road).
We really like one particular house and the only thing preventing us from making an offer is that we're uncertain about the neighborhood.
By local standards, the area around Sacramento Drive (Engleside) would be considered working class/lower-middle class. I wouldn't consider this area unsafe per se but incidences of property crime are likely to be higher. If your goal is consistently middle-class suburbia, this may not be the ideal location.

Quote:
2) Is the area off of Richmond Hwy/Route 1 in Lorton/Springfield any good?
Compared to Engleside it's a bit better. The closer to Lorton Town Center (or due west of Route 1 in general), the more options that may appeal to you.

Quote:
3) Is the area in West Springfield about 5 miles from Springfield Metro a desirable area that will increase in value due to the Mall?
Good question. As you may have heard, the former Springfield Mall is redeveloping into Springfield Town Center, a quasi-walkable retail area (at least once you exit your car). I'm no real estate expert but I'd figure being near a renovated mall never hurt. As it stands, being 5 miles from the Metro doesn't hurt, either. It's possible that you'll find a lot of good values among older THs and maybe even single story SFHs. Others more familar with West Springfield can elaborate.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:08 PM

53 posts, read 66,109 times
In your situation, I would definitely rent first before buying anything.

Old 04-25-2014, 05:02 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,787,106 times
Might want to check out some of the TH communities in 22153 - $350k will still be a tight budget, so you will not have a lot of choices, but you will be close to the Franconia-Springfield Metro, and there are also a Pentagon Express Buses (FFX Connector Routes 394 and 395) that also provide a good commuting option. As you have a realized, a garage in this price range is very tough. Along those lines, keep in mind that many TH communities will only give each TH 2 assigned parking spaces - that will leave you figuring out what to do with the 3rd car.

I also second the suggestion to rent - for at least 6 months. One, these are new jobs. Can you really tell when you start them that you plan to say at them long term? If you end up only staying a couple of years, you are unlikely to have any net gain (after taking account of realtor fees and all the extra costs that come with owning real property), and may well end up having a net loss over renting. Two, it really is nice to get to know the area and deal with commuting for a time from where you're thinking about living.

Old 04-25-2014, 05:49 AM

406 posts, read 620,510 times
Even in a community with garages, 3 cars will be tough. If you have a 1-car garage usually you are expected to park the second car in the driveway and wouldn't be permitted to stash the 3rd car in the (always very limited) guest parking areas

Old 04-25-2014, 07:47 AM

1,847 posts, read 3,733,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acgood View Post
Even in a community with garages, 3 cars will be tough. If you have a 1-car garage usually you are expected to park the second car in the driveway and wouldn't be permitted to stash the 3rd car in the (always very limited) guest parking areas
Bingo! One car garage gives you one other space....biggest issue I have seen is finding extra parking in TH communities. It is a free for all, and if you come home later than the average, forget about finding a space. So the first person home has to park in the open parking to save driveway for other person. Doesn't sound like a big issue, but trust me, it is a pain. Having guests over...ha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia