Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 07:01 AM

350 posts, read 478,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Growing up, we owned several dogs. We would walk into the pound, spend about an hour or two, pick a dog, pay $50 and done.
Today that $50 = $200/$300 ... costs of things have changed since you were 'growing up.'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 07:07 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,808,000 times
I just checked the Animal Welfare League of Alexandria's website. Their dog adoption fee is $150 (for a dog under 8-years-old). And they have the kinds of dogs you are looking for. There is a 5-month-old Lab/Great Dane mix up for adoption right now:

Animal Welfare League of Alexandria

And the adoption fee at the Fairfax County Animal shelter is $40 for a dog. (Although they don't have a dog that fits your criteria of age, breed(s) and size. Although they do have a 2-year-old black lab mix.

Animal Shelter - Adopt*- Fairfax County, Virginia

Old 04-30-2014, 01:34 PM

82 posts, read 177,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhorsewoman View Post
Today that $50 = $200/$300 ... costs of things have changed since you were 'growing up.'
Thanks for the pointless lesson on inflation. Perhaps you can teach the Fairfax County Animal Shelter about it, since they only charge $40 in adoption fees. They could be making much more, by your logic...

I didn't ask for advice about finances or what future costs are associated with pet ownership, I just asked if anyone knew of a place where one could adopt a dog and not have to go through a hassle and a paycheck to do it.

Thanks for the ones who helped.

Old 04-30-2014, 01:36 PM

979 posts, read 1,777,097 times
We tried to adopt/rescue a dog about 6 years ago. We were living in Woodbridge at the time. Most of the dogs available were either large (we didn't want a big dog since we were living in a relatively small townhouse) or chihuahuas, not much in between. The ones we did find, we were denied/rejected. One rescue in DC wouldn't adopt to us because we lived too far away. One wouldn't adopt to use because we didn't have a fully fenced back yard. One wouldn't adopt to us because we both worked full time, so they refused to give us a dog who would have to be home alone during the day.

It was pretty ridiculous, and, after much frustration and heartbreak, we ended up buying our dogs instead (not from a pet store or puppy mill breeder - I did a college presentation on puppy mills, so I had an idea what to look for/avoid). I'm sure all the dogs we were denied were much better off staying in a shelter than coming home with us. Just ask our now happily spoiled little mutts

Old 04-30-2014, 02:35 PM

87 posts, read 338,152 times
Humane Society - Fairfax and Loudoun both have one. Fairfax Animal Shelter, Animal Welfare League of Alexandria...

We adopted our lab mix from Fairfax Humane Society in 2009. It was under $300 and included him being fixed and his first set of shots. He also got training for free at their farm - we actually went for 2 years to just keep him socialized and focused. We filled out some application, made an appointment to go over there, played with him and left with him that day.

Old 04-30-2014, 06:13 PM

406 posts, read 620,130 times
another rescue organization called "Lost Dog" - last I knew they did the adoptions at Petsmart in Fair Lakes

Old 04-30-2014, 06:50 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,142,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acgood View Post
another rescue organization called "Lost Dog" - last I knew they did the adoptions at Petsmart in Fair Lakes
It's a great organization! They actually do their adoptions at many Petsmarts in the area. Unfortunately, for the OP, their fee is higher than he wants to pay.

https://www.lostdogrescue.org/

Old 04-30-2014, 07:40 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,950,389 times
PG County generally has a lot of dogs for adoption. Fee is $200, but they do a really nice job of breaking down where the money is going. When you factor in that $100 is just to get the critter fixed, it makes the $200 seem pretty reasonable IMO.

Adoptions

If you want to walk in and walk out with a dog, look to the more rural shelters. You will have to do your due diligence on Petfinder, but my coworker and I did just that last summer. We drove down to Madison County, and for $75 and paperwork proving her landlord allowed dogs, she walked out with a sweet year old hound.

Many counties do not adopt too far outside their borders, so you have to call and ask if they'll adopt to people in Fairfax. Most seemed extremely eager so long as we were willing to make the trek.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:59 PM

232 posts, read 361,994 times
I also think the difference between years ago adoption and today is what is "included". Nowdays, animals are typically fully vetted, shots up to date, most times micro-chipped, etc..for the fee. Sometimes the "free" dogs available end up costing more by the time you pay for their shots, fixed, etc..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia