Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 09:52 AM

1,533 posts, read 2,276,735 times

Advertisements

OP, unless you are currently used to this kind of commute I would definitely rent and get a feel for the area and the type of commute you can tolerate.

I don't live in Ashburn so I can't comment on getting to Union Station - although I'm not getting the Union Station reference since you said your office was near the Georgia Avenue station.

See below re hybrid

HOV LAW FOR HYBRID VEHICLES EXTENDED
But hybrids on I-66 capped come July 1

[LEFT]FAIRFAX, Va. ― Drivers of hybrid vehicles with the required clean fuel license plates will continue to be able to use the Interstate 95, 395, 66 and Dulles Toll Road High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) lanes until June 30, 2012, according to the Virginia Department of Transportation. However, come July 1, 2011, there is an important change on I-66.
The new law states that only hybrid vehicles with clean fuel plates issued prior to July 1, 2011 will be permitted to use the I-66 HOV lanes during rush hours. Police will ticket any hybrid vehicle that does not have a clean fuel plate issued before July 1, 2011.
A similar law took effect on I-95 and I-395 five years ago – only hybrids with clean fuel plates issued before July 1, 2006 are permitted to use the I-95/395 HOV lanes during rush hours.
Beginning July 1, 2011, the Department of Motor Vehicles will issue a clean fuel license plate with a different design so that police can easily spot violators in the HOV lanes.
Delegate Thomas A. “Tag” Greason sponsored the one-year extension which was approved by the General Assembly and signed into law by Governor McDonnell last month.
In order for a hybrid vehicle to use Virginia’s HOV lanes during the morning and afternoon rush hours, the vehicle must have a clean special fuel plate issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). Not all hybrids qualify for clean fuel license plates, motorists should check the DMV Web site, www.dmvnow.com for an updated list of eligible hybrids.

[/LEFT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 10:30 AM

2,092 posts, read 4,263,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram73 View Post
JfromReston and PK12, duke it out! As I have absolutely no idea what the commute will be like, I don't know who is right.
It really depends on you tolerance for the commute. Now that I know that your office is a 15 minute walk from the Georgia Ave (Green Line) station. You won't make it on public transit in my previous "about an hour". With the walk it will be more like 90 minutes (60 minutes to get to DC, 15 minutes to transfer and take Green line, and 15 minutes to walk).

Old 05-02-2014, 10:36 AM

2,092 posts, read 4,263,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
What good is a "nice" detached single-family home with a bit of greenery in Reston if your door-to-door commute will be 75 minutes each way? (Be realistic, please, JfromReston, as I, too, lived and commuted in Reston).
I am realistic!

Yesterday I commuted on mass transit from South Lakes Reston to Federal Triangle. In the AM it took me 60 minutes door to desk. In the PM it took me 70 minutes (desk to door) - the extra 10 minutes was spent waiting for the bus at West Falls Church.

Monday and Tuesday I commuted with a rider (slug) via the toll road and I-66. It took between 45-50 minutes each way arriving at the office at 8:00 AM and leaving at 5:30 PM.

Old 05-19-2014, 01:39 PM

64 posts, read 101,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromReston View Post
Here are the options I recommend in Reston, both feed into Hunters Woods Elementary (9 on Great Schools).

12200 HOUNDS LN, RESTON, VA 20191 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com
2500 FAUQUIER LN, RESTON, VA 20191 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com

See the link below for more information on Reston.
Welcome to Reston Association

Commute to DC will be about an hour.
Yeah, but South Lakes HS is still a POS high school. After 20 years, it still has major issues.

Last edited by KittyTwoShoes; 05-19-2014 at 01:39 PM.. Reason: mispelled POS

Old 05-19-2014, 02:32 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,791,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyTwoShoes View Post
Yeah, but South Lakes HS is still a POS high school. After 20 years, it still has major issues.
And what are those issues? Please do share if you actually have some experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia