Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2014, 09:52 PM

3 posts, read 3,044 times

Advertisements

Hello message boards!

I am moving to Arlington in two weeks for work and have been looking all over for apartments. I like the price of the Colonial Village Apartments and the location is amazing for a young 20 something looking for good night life and access to metro. I also understand that these are rather bare bones apartments and lack many of the luxury features of nicer places. Can anyone tell me their opinions of Colonial Village? Pros and Cons? Is there a monthly parking fee?

Thank you so very much!
Keith
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 10:52 PM

143 posts, read 335,962 times
I work for an agency that assists low income Arlington residents, and Colonial Village is one of the apartment complexes with many subsidized housing units.
Same with Gates of Ballston, Buckingham Village, Columbia Grove, etc.

You may want to read some reviews of different complexes, especially if you are looking for cheaper apartments. Some have issues you may want to be aware of before signing a lease....bedbugs, etc.

Colonial Village Apartments Ratings, Reviews, Map, Rents, and other Arlington apartments for rent from ApartmentRatings.com

Old 05-05-2014, 10:03 AM

1,304 posts, read 2,425,783 times
There is a reason why they are so cheap and that's because most of the units are assisted living (low income housing) which means they are basically the projects of Arlington. You likely won't even be able to live there if you make more than like $45K a year as a single person. I think they do have some market rate units, but really if you can afford to live in a nicer place do it.

Old 05-05-2014, 10:56 AM

1,630 posts, read 2,359,059 times
One of my friends lived in Colonial Village last year, he fits the same demographic as you and chose Colonial Village for the same reasons – as did a number of his neighbors.

The apartments may not look very appealing from the outside but otherwise theyre perfectly fine, kinda old but generally pretty well-kept.

Once you have scoped out the community yourself, I’d say go for it.

Old 05-05-2014, 11:44 AM

199 posts, read 334,043 times
I live in Colonial Village. First off, there is a distinction between Colonial Village apartments (Wesley Housing Development Corporation - Home) and the Colonial Village I, II, and III neighborhoods. The former are indeed subsidized housing as other posters have mentioned, while the latter are condo associations that are managed by individual landlords. From what I understand, if you're looking at an apartment managed by Wesley Co., you're looking at a subsidized/affordable housing unit. Any other landlord, and you're looking at a rented-out condo. I don't think the subsidized apartments are that bad - they got renovated recently and I walk by that neighborhood all the time without any problems.

The condo associations are quite nice though. Lots of young professionals and a few young families, and very safe. The quality of those individual condos vary wildly though, depending on your landlord. Some units are completely renovated (wood floors, high-end appliances, granite countertops etc.) and others look like they haven't been touched since the 70's. There are really only a few downsides:

- Most of the condos were built in the 30s and 40s, so they are pretty small (but then again so are the new modern apartments they're building across the street...)
- Washer and dryers are not allowed in any of the units as far as I know. Something to do with the whole neighborhood being a historical landmark or something? There are laundry rooms in a lot of the common areas, but a lot of times you have to go outside to access them. It can get annoying to do, even more so during bad weather.
- No reserved parking. Some of the condos have a shared private lot, but again, no reserved parking AFAIK. You can get a street pass from Arlington County to park along the zoned streets 24/7, although if you come home late at night (say 9 PM or later) you can be SOL on finding any spaces nearby.

Overall though I love living here. Colonial Village is probably the best value in Arlington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: