Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 12:52 PM

10 posts, read 12,458 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

My wife and I are considering move from MD to Alexandria or surrounding areas. We'd like to ask for some suggestions on apartment searching.

I work near Dupont Circle, Metro to work. My wife works in Alexandria near King st. metro.

We are both young professionals, will be renting apartments for the next 2 years at least. We have 1 car.

We prefer somewhere she can walk/bike/short drive to work and I have easy access to Metro. Our monthly rent budget is ~$2100-2400 for a 1 bedroom with Den/Loft or 2 bedroom apartment.

King st. - Eisenhower Metro
Meridian and other luxury apartments around this area spears to be quite expensive if you look at the per sq ft price. They have a lot of FEEs as well.
Carlyle Mill seems to be quite decent in terms of price, but I guess it is an fairly old complex?

Braddock Metro
Pros: Walking/biking distance for wife's commute. Apartments are newly built (1111 Belle Pre, Asher etc.)
Cons: We walked around the neighborhood, seems kind of sketchy?

Van Dorn Metro
The Reserve at Eisenhower: The price seems to be quite reasonable but I see the surrounding area is kind of an industrial area.

Huntington Metro
The Courts at Huntington Station is the only apartment within walking distance to metro?

Above are what I found so far. I don't have a clue about the bus systems in VA. If she can drive me to Metro station in the morning, then in the afternoon I can take a short bus ride to home from Metro, it's OK as well.

Potomac Yard seems to have quite a few new apartment complexes (I personally prefer newly built apartments). However it seems that there is no easy bus access to Metro?

Thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 02:17 PM

48 posts, read 52,515 times
I don't know much about apartments in those areas, but do you consider none of those places near Potomac Yards to be adequately close to Crystal City Metro?

Old 05-07-2014, 02:20 PM

1,630 posts, read 2,362,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcknigs View Post
I don't know much about apartments in those areas, but do you consider none of those places near Potomac Yards to be adequately close to Crystal City Metro?

If you are talking about walking to Crystal City metro from Potomac Yard, it is kind of a long walk

Old 05-07-2014, 02:28 PM

1,630 posts, read 2,362,947 times
OP,

If rental cost is a big concern, I would recommend The Reserve at Eisenhower as the best option for you. Blue Line > Red Line transfer (for getting to Dupont) will be much easier than transferring from the Yellow Lines.

The area might be somewhat industrial but I would not say it is sketchy or unsafe by any means (around Braddock Rd could be a little bit, but Ive heard it is fast improving. ).

Old 05-07-2014, 02:43 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,391,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK12 View Post
If you are talking about walking to Crystal City metro from Potomac Yard, it is kind of a long walk
OP did say they were OK with a short bus ride, so Potomac Yard could work.

Old 05-07-2014, 02:54 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,391,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK12 View Post
If rental cost is a big concern, I would recommend The Reserve at Eisenhower as the best option for you. Blue Line > Red Line transfer (for getting to Dupont) will be much easier than transferring from the Yellow Lines.
If OP works to the south of DuPont, it might even make sense to get off at Farragut West and walk.

Old 05-07-2014, 03:28 PM

160 posts, read 241,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
If OP works to the south of DuPont, it might even make sense to get off at Farragut West and walk.
Yes, that's what I do, too.

OP, while I understand your preference for newer apartments, have you considered looking for private apartment/condo rentals in Old Town itself? For one thing, there are some truly extraordinary and unique properties there that could be a wonderful opportunity. For another, if you're too far from the Metro to walk, there is plenty of bus service on DASH (Alexandria's bus system--I'd argue that it's better than Metrobus).

Old 05-07-2014, 03:35 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,736,297 times
I used to work at Farragut West. I think your best option is to move to Lee Highway in N. Arlington and take the 3Y bus to work, which goes directly through Rosslyn and down Constitution, and eventually to McPherson Square. Safe and reliable--far more than the Orange Line, in my experience. You will save money by not being near a train station--about 1 mile north of Ballston--but there are many great shops right there on Lee. Google Lee Heights Shops--the apartments all around there are on the 3Y.

Old 05-07-2014, 04:52 PM

160 posts, read 241,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
I used to work at Farragut West. I think your best option is to move to Lee Highway in N. Arlington and take the 3Y bus to work, which goes directly through Rosslyn and down Constitution, and eventually to McPherson Square. Safe and reliable--far more than the Orange Line, in my experience. You will save money by not being near a train station--about 1 mile north of Ballston--but there are many great shops right there on Lee. Google Lee Heights Shops--the apartments all around there are on the 3Y.
Would that work well for the OP's spouse?

Old 05-07-2014, 06:54 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,736,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highpoint1 View Post
Would that work well for the OP's spouse?
There is no location that would be ideal for both of them via mass transit. But she could easily drive to King Street from that location. Or take an ART bus to Ballston and take the Orange Line to Rosslyn and transfer to Blue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia