Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 03:35 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,260,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
Got the same ticket couple years ago and got another for driving in hov. My comments to the judge was that a driver can't be ticketed for parking and driving at the same time. Judge agreed and i got the parking ticket. Judge said something along the line about safety, etc. The only question was how long had I been living in NOVA. Got the impression there might be wiggle room if you were new. I told judge too that I never knew it was wrong but as we know, ignorance doesn't matter. I was pinched by getting both tickets at same time and I was just happy getting hov violation dropped. If you go, you might get ticket reduced. If the state police really saw this as dangerous, they would ticket much more aggressively.

Do you have any idea how few troopers are out there at any one time? You might be a little surprised.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 04:46 AM

9,510 posts, read 9,108,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Do you have any idea how few troopers are out there at any one time? You might be a little surprised.
Agree. But i was serious when i told the officer that i didn't know was illegal. Because I'd never seen enforcement.on this issue like you see for hov violators, someone new to the area would not guess this practice is illegal. Any given evening in I95 south at springfield, an officer could write a DAILY ticket at 5:59pm. But they don't.

The point of only stopping on interstates is for emergencies is subjective and old people often pull over on the shoulder to answer a cell call. Is this an emergency? The law as written states freeways but is applied to on ramps. I understand why it is applied to this area. Everywhere else in the country, semi trucks often park on ramps to catch some sleep. They might get chased off but not get tickets. Of course I don't park on ramps waiting for hov to open and I'll end with my ticket was the.first and only time I tried. Thank goodness its not counted for points.

Old 05-10-2014, 08:00 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,260,603 times
How is it subjective? It's either an emergency or it isn't. And I'm likely older than you and likely drive many more moles than you and I can't recall the last time I saw "old people" stopped on the side of an interstate to make or answer a call. As a LEO I stopped all the time checking on people stopped on the shoulders of the road and never came across an old person dealing with a call, at least not along 95 or 66.

Old 05-10-2014, 08:18 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,284,425 times
Ignorantia legis neminem excusat

Ignorance of the law excuses no one

Besides, aren't there signs that say "emergency stopping only"?

Old 05-10-2014, 09:17 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,680,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Ignorantia legis neminem excusat

Ignorance of the law excuses no one

Besides, aren't there signs that say "emergency stopping only"?
Yes, there are. It's very dangerous to stop on the shoulder of an interstate. While I don't think I learned that in driver's ed, somehow I just "know" it. Oh, and there's those signs occasionally.

Old 05-10-2014, 11:58 AM

504 posts, read 1,213,847 times
In other words, why not just pull into a nearby bank parking lot or something similar, then get onto the HOV lane/ramp when it's time? I know everyone wants to be "the first ones out the gate" so to speak but I would stay away from highway/parkway shoulders - it's dangerous and distracting.

Old 05-10-2014, 02:00 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,108,829 times
Quote:
How is it subjective? It's either an emergency or it isn't. And I'm likely older than you and likely drive many more moles than you and I can't recall the last time I saw "old people" stopped on the side of an interstate to make or answer a call. As a LEO I stopped all the time checking on people stopped on the shoulders of the road and never came across an old person dealing with a call, at least not along 95 or 66.
It is subjective for the officer writing or not writing a ticket. What someone deems an emergency may not be deemed an emergency by an officer. When someone stops on the shoulder of a freeway, it may not always be an emergency. My earlier post wasn't saying this should be legal. I said that waiting on freeway ramps isn't enforced.

We've obviously drifted topics on this thread and the OP has predictably not posted any response to this thread after we've provided input towards their question.

Old 05-10-2014, 02:11 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,735,435 times
Quote:
HoAnd I'm likely older than you and likely drive many more moles than you ....
This I gotta see. I mean, I knew you were good with animals, but....

Old 05-10-2014, 02:38 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,407,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lqda4 View Post
In other words, why not just pull into a nearby bank parking lot or something similar, then get onto the HOV lane/ramp when it's time? I know everyone wants to be "the first ones out the gate" so to speak but I would stay away from highway/parkway shoulders - it's dangerous and distracting.
Yeah, I usually will go to the gas station before getting on, it's actually a good time passer because by the time you're done getting gas and getting whatever else you need it's time.

Old 05-10-2014, 06:25 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,686,074 times
Quote:

Yeah, I'm out there a lot too, Bigfoot, and have never noticed this phenomena of old folks pulling over to use their phone.

No, I'm afraid, when it comes to their "devices", oldsters don't have a lick more common sense than the oh so hip hipsters....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: