Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 03:06 PM

41 posts, read 150,544 times

Advertisements

My dh has a job opportunity where he would work at the corporate office at Tysons Corner and travel internationally out of Dulles. He would probably be traveling 2/3 of the time and working out of the office 1/3. A top quality high school is our biggest concern. Our kids have gone to Catholic school in the past but I'm not sure of availablity/cost in NVa. Good quality public school is fine but I'm a bit concerned at how large they are. It will be a big adjustment for sure. Budget is around $1 mil for sfh, maybe a little higher if necessary. Thanks for any suggestions as I am not too familiar with the area (other than what I have read in this forum).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2014, 03:13 PM

2,772 posts, read 4,323,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NettieV6 View Post
My dh has a job opportunity where he would work at the corporate office at Tysons Corner and travel internationally out of Dulles. He would probably be traveling 2/3 of the time and working out of the office 1/3. A top quality high school is our biggest concern. Our kids have gone to Catholic school in the past but I'm not sure of availablity/cost in NVa. Good quality public school is fine but I'm a bit concerned at how large they are. It will be a big adjustment for sure. Budget is around $1 mil for sfh, maybe a little higher if necessary. Thanks for any suggestions as I am not too familiar with the area (other than what I have read in this forum).
Vienna. 100% Vienna. Budget is perfect for more than enough in the best part of Vienna, access to Tysons and the toll road (especially reverse commute times). Great community identity. You could do McLean too, but honestly the schools are comparable but the commute is a bit worse and theres not as much to do as far as family friendliness/restaurants.

Old 05-09-2014, 03:28 PM

41 posts, read 150,544 times
Thanks for your quick reply, tysonsengineer. I have an old friend that now lives in Vienna. I will definitely look her up!

Old 05-09-2014, 05:35 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,264,910 times
Vienna, once you're off the main drag (123) is a very nice area. 123 is just a very busy (traffic) road. Without knowing your budget it's hard to really suggest. Homes are expensive in the Vienna area.

Old 05-09-2014, 06:22 PM

303 posts, read 593,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NettieV6 View Post
Budget is around $1 mil for sfh, maybe a little higher if necessary.

Old 05-09-2014, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Vienna, once you're off the main drag (123) is a very nice area. 123 is just a very busy (traffic) road. Without knowing your budget it's hard to really suggest. Homes are expensive in the Vienna area.
Theres maybe a dozen homes on 123 itself, atleast in Vienna proper. Oakton there may be more. For the most part the homes on Park, Old Courthouse, Beulah are close but not on the main drag.

Homes are definitely expensive in Vienna, but less so than McLean, and with comparable schools. OP noted $1M budget hence why those two immediately came up.

Old 05-09-2014, 07:36 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,286,520 times
Another advantage to Vienna (or Oakton) is that you will be within about 10-15 mins (possibly less) of one of the three Catholic High Schools in the area (Paul VI, often referred to as PVI) So it's convenient, if you choose to go that direction.

Old 05-10-2014, 03:34 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,264,910 times
I realize there are not many homes directly on 123. Just really pointing out the heavy traffic that is present there. Sorry, missed the budget for housing. I think once the OP gets on the back roads and see some of the homes in Vienna they will be happy.

Old 05-12-2014, 12:43 PM

81 posts, read 241,251 times
McLean is very convenient for IAD. I could always count on 20 min from house to security line at any time of day. You get on the access road at the beginning. From Vienna then you have to take back roads and, for example, Hunter Mill Rd, which first puts you on the potentially heavily congested toll road. And maybe you have to pay a toll as well; not sure.

McLean puts you closer to DC and Arlington as well. It's simply a much better location than Vienna. I also always found 123 in Vienna to be unpleasant and congested.

Old 05-12-2014, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flrnova View Post
McLean is very convenient for IAD. I could always count on 20 min from house to security line at any time of day. You get on the access road at the beginning. From Vienna then you have to take back roads and, for example, Hunter Mill Rd, which first puts you on the potentially heavily congested toll road. And maybe you have to pay a toll as well; not sure.

McLean puts you closer to DC and Arlington as well. It's simply a much better location than Vienna. I also always found 123 in Vienna to be unpleasant and congested.
What you say about getting to the access road is true, from vienna is more complicated because of where the ramps are. You can double back to Tysons then jump on at Route 7, or you have to go to Hunter Mill. So valid point. McLean vs Vienna as far as a community atmosphere though, I think Vienna has a more built town center, where as McLean is a lot more isolated except for the very central BID area.

Both are fine though, both have very good schools, both are affluent, both are safe. OP really has a pretty decent choice between a great place to live and a great place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia