Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 01:33 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,675,878 times

Advertisements

So how is the recent letter different from the governing documents? If there is a change to the bylaws there should have been a majority vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 02:48 PM

232 posts, read 363,282 times
I think that from what was posted the HOA CCR's seem to be written fairly clearly. As a previous poster stated, it doesn't seem to indicate that kids can't play outside - it seems more like a roundabout way of saying that kids can't play on community driveways/streets and should be expected to play in their private area of designated play area (tot lot).

While I can see that some might consider that limiting - the part that I don't seem to understand (and it has bothered me in a former townhome HOA community as well) is WHY parents seem to find it acceptable and normal for their kids to play in the driveway/street? There is always more focus on the "speeding car" because kids are playing vs the question of why the kids are playing in the street? It's a street. No playing.

And kids on bikes can be the worst because they veer sideways and dart into the street without thought.

I do think that it is difficult to enforce and determine what is "acceptable" noise - as it falls within the governing documents. Yes kids should be able to play - but if you look at the other side, does that mean it should be at the expense of someone who doesn't have children listening to screams and yells all day long?

Unfortunately while it would be great if everyone was able to use common sense and judgement - and think about their neighbors as well as themselves - it typically doesn't happen which is when/where HOA's are expected to step in and enforce the rules.

Old 05-10-2014, 03:29 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,018,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BooYong10 View Post
Hello!
I would like to get some advice on a matter that is going on the community I live. Recently the HOA sent out letters to the residents of the community saying that kids should only be allow to play in the "tot lot" or playground that is the neighborhood. Only problem is that there is only one and well there is lots and lots of kids in the neighborhood from different ages.

The note also says that they can't ride their bicycle, scooters or do anything that could make noise and disturbed the neighbors, I do understand there are time when kids are loud but most of these times are actually teens that ones making the noises. Is there anything that can be do? Is this right to do against kids? I don't think is fair that the children on the community have to pay for what other kids had done.

Please any advice will be appreciate and if you are a parent thinking on buying or moving to the Manassas area do not look in the Wellington community.
Is it townhouses or condos? I used to live in a townhouse community that was very hostile to kids. They were not allowed anywhere on the common grounds without parental supervision; also no bikes, trikes, etc. anywhere but in backyards or on the playground. At the time I didn't have kids and liked the rules, but now that I have a child I would not want to go back to living in a place like that. I am not sure to what extent the HOA can enforce something like what you describe, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: