Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 05:03 PM

143 posts, read 336,654 times

Advertisements

After my Fios "new subscriber" special expired I begrudgingly signed up for a two-year contract. For the past 8 months, I have paid a monthly total of $139.68 (including "Taxes, Governmental Surcharges and Fees" and "Verizon Surcharges and Other Charges & Credits." Ha! )

So, today I opened my bill, and the amount has mysteriously increased to $140.84. Now, I know it's a buck, but it's the principle of the thing. Will it increase again in a few months??

Now, my question: since I signed up for the two-year contract, how can my bill increase? Doesn't that fly in the face of what a contract is?

Anyone have a similar situation? I have Fairfax Verizon Fios, if it makes a difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2014, 05:14 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,750,563 times
Probably some minor fee that went up. The other thing they do is have these multiple confusing discounts that expire at different times.

Old 06-22-2014, 05:17 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,436,500 times
Nothing mysterious about it, Mystery bill increases is Verizon's mission statement! I will never have any service from Verizon again. Comcast X1 all the way! They screwed me when I had a cell phone years ago, then I got FiOS prior to Comcast having multiroom capability and the instant they got it I left and very glad I did.

Old 06-22-2014, 08:28 PM

810 posts, read 1,027,507 times
Log in to My Verizon Email - Verizon News and TV | MyVerizon, and then go to this address to view your bill:

https://www.verizon.com/foryourhome/...ResMyBill.aspx

Old 06-23-2014, 04:57 AM

271 posts, read 448,163 times
If you are watchful with your entertainment service bills you will notice all the major ISPs and media providers do this. Not that I have tangible evidence in front of me but I have noticed this with Comcast, DirecTV, and Verizon. At least when Netflix’s monthly subscription goes up they are transparent and send you a notice about it, and more importantly why it went up. What I have learned throughout the years is learn to play their game or you’ll lose without even knowing it.

I understand completely with your point, when you call and get the run around you never get a solid answer.
[SIZE=3]As a consumer it is our own due diligence to break their cryptography of the credits and their longevity. [/SIZE]

Old 06-23-2014, 06:31 AM

163 posts, read 315,514 times
Someone has to pay for the rising cost of doing business. Our bill has a lot of line items that make no sense but they all track back to some government fee or surcharge.. My first cable bill was less than $45 dollars back in the mid 90's, now I pay more than that in taxes, surcharges and fees. I can't blame the companies for passing along the increasing overhead to it's customers.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:17 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,325,503 times
I'm not a fan of Fios. They do nickel and dime the crap out of you and have the worst customer service imaginable. Their internet is very reliable, albeit could be faster. Seems to drag sometimes for me. You'd think for how much I pay them I'd get the fastest internet. Their tv leaves a lot to be desired. Does weird things like momentarily freezing now and then. Ordering from PPV is a chore. I often have to restart the cable box after ordering to get it to play properly. I try to use Redbox and avoid their PPV like the plague. I've refused lately to sign a contract because I want out. Comcast looks like an option. I'm sure they have their issues but can't be any worse.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:23 AM

3 posts, read 5,284 times
I've had a similar experience. The increases are mysterious to us the customers, but not to Verizon.
- Our last contract (voice;HDTV;Internet 15/5, aka "Triple Play") was running 104.99. Here's how it broke down:
> FiOS digital voice: $30; FiOS TV Prime HD: $54.99; FiOS Internet 15/5: $30.00
> voice discount: ($5.00); contract discount: ($5.00)
I negotiated those discounts when I signed onto that contract 2 years ago. But on top of the service charges, Verizon added a $19.98 fee to rent 2 set top boxes. Add taxes and other Verizon fees (transferring government fees to the customer), the grand monthly total was $137.12.

When the contract ran out, I signed on for another 2 years at roughly the same rate: $109.99 for the same voice service, same TV service, and though I thought I ordered the same Internet speed, the summary they sent upped it to "Quantum" which is just 50/25 for $10 more. They applied a $5 Quantum order credit for the first year and $10 renewal credit for the length of the contract, so $15 off the true value of the total charges ($124.99).

But when I got the estimated bill, it had blown up to $172.85! That's almost $67 more than I thought it was going to cost. I had forgotten about that set top box rental fee, still $19.98. But they also tacked on a "HD Set Top Box" fee for 2 boxes, total $23.98. I interpret that as "you get to rent our set top boxes, but if they are HD boxes, you have to pay $12 more for each one." The total "rental fee" for the set top boxes is thus *$21.98* each! For just 2 TVs, that comes to an extra ~$44 or so per month. This is how Verizon nickel and dimes you to death. Cox and Comcast/XFinity are no better.

I can blame Verizon for not being transparent about laying out all these fees before you commit to the contract. But fortunately -- and because the law requires it -- they give you the option to cancel your order within 30 days. I'm leaning in that direction, because $172 a month is outrageous and I'm not made of gold. If I cannot negotiate them down to what I was paying before, I will opt for Internet only and sign up with Hulu Plus ($7.99/mo) + Netflix ($20/mo). We would transfer our phone number to a wireless account (probably T-Mobile pay-as-you-go for $100/year) and watch my favorite AMC shows when they come out on Netflix because AMC only lets you watch online if you get AMC from your TV provider. I estimate that a net annual cost of $172*12= $2064 can be brought down to hopefully around $700 or so a year or ~$60/mo. I hate having to do so much research just to get decent service for a basic communication medium.

Last edited by pattonadams; 06-23-2014 at 09:51 AM..

Old 06-23-2014, 10:24 AM

53 posts, read 82,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattonadams View Post
If I cannot negotiate them down to what I was paying before, I will opt for Internet only and sign up with Hulu Plus ($7.99/mo) + Netflix ($20/mo). We would transfer our phone number to a wireless account (probably T-Mobile pay-as-you-go for $100/year) and watch my favorite AMC shows when they come out on Netflix because AMC only lets you watch online if you get AMC from your TV provider. I estimate that a net annual cost of $172*12= $2064 can be brought down to hopefully around $700 or so a year or ~$60/mo. I hate having to do so much research just to get decent service for a basic communication medium.
FWIW, my wife and I did this last year and it works well for us. The only thing I really miss is football in the fall, but now I've got a better excuse to get away from the house on Saturday afternoons. Between Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon Prime, and the sportsbar I'm pretty much set.

Old 06-23-2014, 02:07 PM

143 posts, read 336,654 times
Well.....I just got off the phone with "Amber" from Verizon, and here's what she said:
"Blah blah blah fee increase blah blah digital voice blah blah blah can I interest you in Showtime?"

So that's that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia