Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 06:57 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,762,890 times

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend a tire shop that has good prices but also knows what they're doing? Anywhere along Route 50 or 66 would be fine--as far out as Fairfax Circle.

We've used BJ's before, and I think they were OK. But we didn't really shop around.

Now I need four new tires and want to make sure they don't screw up my car or overtighten the lug nuts.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 08:10 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,711,646 times
No recommendations, just a tip.

A lot of modern tires are "symmetrical" meaning there is an "inside" and an "outside" stamped on the sidewalls. I bought four Michelins like that at Alban Tire. I thought an outfit that specializes in every type of tire including those for humongous earthmovers would really know what they're doing. Wrong. They put three of the four on backwards. That's not a dangerous situation, but the tires do not perform as designed when mounted wrong side out. The "pros" at Alban apparently didn't know that.

You can ask that they hand torque the lugs, but unless you're watching them, you don't know if they did.
I always drive straight home and immediately re-torque them myself.

Old 10-17-2014, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
No recommendations, just a tip.

A lot of modern tires are "symmetrical" meaning there is an "inside" and an "outside" stamped on the sidewalls. I bought four Michelins like that at Alban Tire. I thought an outfit that specializes in every type of tire including those for humongous earthmovers would really know what they're doing. Wrong. They put three of the four on backwards. That's not a dangerous situation, but the tires do not perform as designed when mounted wrong side out. The "pros" at Alban apparently didn't know that.

You can ask that they hand torque the lugs, but unless you're watching them, you don't know if they did.
I always drive straight home and immediately re-torque them myself.
Thanks--good tips! I may just have my trusted mechanic order them. But he's not open on the weekend, and I don't like waiting. Maybe I will, though.

Old 10-18-2014, 09:46 AM

211 posts, read 412,042 times
After several bad dealings with 2 of the local big name tire stores, both now owned by a Florida company, I now order my tires from TireRack and have them shipped to the mechanic I use and he installs for me. He had never had an issue with me doing this, and only charges 8.00 per tire to install and balance.

Another option that I have not used, but have heard no complaints on is Costco, if you are a member

Old 10-18-2014, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969351 View Post
After several bad dealings with 2 of the local big name tire stores, both now owned by a Florida company, I now order my tires from TireRack and have them shipped to the mechanic I use and he installs for me. He had never had an issue with me doing this, and only charges 8.00 per tire to install and balance.

Another option that I have not used, but have heard no complaints on is Costco, if you are a member
Thanks. I did TireRack once, for snow tires. It worked OK. But it's slightly troublesome to transport the tires to my mechanic. (Especially since the car that needs them is a two-seater.) I may just order them through my mechanic, though it means a few more days of waiting.

Old 10-18-2014, 12:12 PM

167 posts, read 497,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Thanks. I did TireRack once, for snow tires. It worked OK. But it's slightly troublesome to transport the tires to my mechanic. (Especially since the car that needs them is a two-seater.) I may just order them through my mechanic, though it means a few more days of waiting.
You could ask your mechanic if you could have the tires directly delivered to your mechanic and all you have to do is bring your car to them.

Old 10-18-2014, 12:36 PM

989 posts, read 2,864,222 times
Tire Rack can ship the tires directly to many shops. We just ordered some to be shipped to our local mechanics. It only took about two days for them to arrive. Super easy. Our mechanics are in Ashburn though so may not be helpful for you. But they have agreements with lots of shops- check their website.

Old 10-18-2014, 01:59 PM

Thanks, you guys. I'd forgotten they can deliver directly to a mechanic. Think that's what I'll do.

Old 10-18-2014, 02:46 PM

406 posts, read 621,936 times
Yes this is good to know as an option for times. Since we're here, are any of the posters willing to name the preferred mechanics in the area that they were referring to? Thanks in advance if so

Old 10-18-2014, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acgood View Post
Yes this is good to know as an option for times. Since we're here, are any of the posters willing to name the preferred mechanics in the area that they were referring to? Thanks in advance if so
What make of car? (The shops we use are make-specific.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia