Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 04:43 AM

8,827 posts, read 15,340,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
Hi, live in AD now but from NOVA. Your best bet is Arlington - almost all Arlington schools are in the top 100 in the nation and they have the #1 HS in the US - Thomas Jefferson. The commute is always an issue in NOVA and Arlington will be close to Crystal City with public transport options. You should stick to North Arlington - your budget might not get you a nice house - most Arlington houses are small box-style but you could get a nice townhouse or perhaps a small house. Arlington is an urban county but has lots of parks and is a very well run county.
TJHS is in Fairfax county, not Arlington County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2015, 05:31 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,737,909 times
I think the OP went du-bye-bye on this thread.

Must admit I'm slightly emiritated.

(Not really, but I had to use that one.)

Old 05-15-2015, 08:29 AM

1,833 posts, read 2,356,371 times
Quote:
Hi, live in AD now but from NOVA. Your best bet is Arlington - almost all Arlington schools are in the top 100 in the nation and they have the #1 HS in the US - Thomas Jefferson. The commute is always an issue in NOVA and Arlington will be close to Crystal City with public transport options. You should stick to North Arlington - your budget might not get you a nice house - most Arlington houses are small box-style but you could get a nice townhouse or perhaps a small house. Arlington is an urban county but has lots of parks and is a very well run county.
Thomas Jefferson is in Fairfax county.....

Old 05-15-2015, 08:42 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,737,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
Thomas Jefferson is in Fairfax county.....
Arlington kids can go there, though--same as any other NoVA jurisdiction other than Alexandria, which forbids it in fear of a brain drain.

Old 05-15-2015, 09:35 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,102,236 times
I believe that every jurisdiction that sends kids to TJ negotiates a per student contribution with FCPS, and agrees to a cap on the number of students who may attend (in Arlington's case, the cap has varied from 23-26 students per year over the past decade). As I understand it, the number of students from APS who are admitted to TJ in recent years has been below the cap, so it hasn't been an issue. In 2014, there were about 65 kids from APS at TJ, which has about 1800 students.

The prior poster also made a statement that "almost all Arlington schools are in the top 100 in the nation." US News recently updated its high school rankings and pegged Yorktown, W-L and Wakefield as the 299th, 537th and 1257th best high schools in the United States. That's great, considering how many high schools there are in the country, but perhaps another indication that the prior poster was engaging in some puffery. The Washington Post also recently updated its own "Challenge Index" rating system, and rated the Arlington schools higher than did US News, although HB Woodlawn was the only Arlington (or NoVa) school rated in the top 100 nationally by the Post.

Last edited by JD984; 05-15-2015 at 11:03 AM..

Old 05-15-2015, 10:20 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,008,896 times
Great, not people have made NoVa sound like a racist backward place to live. OP, you will be fine here. Many people from all over the world. If I could afford it, I'd live in McLean, so that's what I recommend to you. I like the schools there.

Old 05-15-2015, 10:21 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,008,896 times
Quote:
If you mean TJ, that is in Fairfax, and you don't go there because you live nearby. It's competitive and very difficult to get into.

Old 05-15-2015, 10:44 AM

1,833 posts, read 2,356,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Arlington kids can go there, though--same as any other NoVA jurisdiction other than Alexandria, which forbids it in fear of a brain drain.
It doesn't matter. Over 80% of the students at TJ live in Fairfax county. Arlington and other counties can only have a limited amount of students attending there..... like a student quota for each county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia