Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 07:16 AM

771 posts, read 1,460,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serene2014 View Post
Thank you to those with positivity and encouragement. My niece deserves the best, she's been through a lot, too much for a little kid. If I have to cut corners to provide a better way of life for her, I will. I have a career ladder position. First year may be tough but after that I should be fine w/ God. My dad suggested moving further out. He said it's not as expensive as the closer nova cities to dc. Is this true?
Absolutely true. Housing will be more expensive in places like Arlington and Alexandria than equivalent housing in places like Loudoun or Prince William counties.

You'll need to find the right balance between what type of housing you want, how much you can pay for it and how much you want to commute. Do you know where will your job be? Based on that you can start narrowing down which areas are going to make sense for you and your niece.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 07:17 AM

526 posts, read 901,670 times
Housing does get cheaper as you move away from DC. Where is your job going to be? The traffic around here is horrible. The farther you are from your job, the less time you'll be able to spend with your niece. If you give us an idea where you'll be working, we can suggest areas to look at.

Old 11-03-2014, 02:32 PM

5 posts, read 7,441 times
Thank you for the suggestions. I cannot divulge much about the job, it will be near Northeast DC. I have previously looked into the maryland area, but have not heard good things about the school systems in comparison to virginia. I was warned not to drive into dc, because traffic is horrible.

Old 11-03-2014, 05:07 PM

707 posts, read 1,409,526 times
We came to NOVA over twenty years ago and our family income was less than $50k a year and we struggled
for a few years but now we are doing very well. I'm self employed and make many times that now.
Be encouraged its not how you start but how you finish that counts!

Old 11-03-2014, 07:55 PM

8,827 posts, read 15,329,864 times
Poverty wage level is an exaggeration.

Old 11-04-2014, 08:17 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,181,432 times
Quote:
Thank you for the suggestions. I cannot divulge much about the job, it will be near Northeast DC. I have previously looked into the maryland area, but have not heard good things about the school systems in comparison to virginia. I was warned not to drive into dc, because traffic is horrible.
What kind of housing are you looking for? When it comes to 2BR managed apartments, you can probably expect a range of $1400-$1800 give or take when looking in Alexandria, Arlington and Fairfax Counties. Townhouse and single family home rentals are likely to cost more.

When it comes to education, Fairfax County Public Schools are considered as a whole to be the "best" in the region and among the top school districts in the country. Arlington County Public Schools are said to hold their own compared to Fairfax. Alexandria City Public Schools tend to perform unevenly on the primary school level. There is one high school in the city - TC Williams of "Remember The Titans" fame - which embraces the full socioeconomic diversity of the school system.

The money you would save by moving out to Loudoun or Prince William Counties may be offset by the additional transportation costs.

Considering your job location in NE DC, I would not go out any further than Fairfax County. I would consider looking at areas in FairfaX County that are served well by the Metrorail or Virginia Railway Express trains.

Old 11-05-2014, 08:48 AM

239 posts, read 939,298 times
Quote:
Hi everyone. I am not a whiz when it comes to this and need help. How much will I earn every month with 52K salary in Virgina before and after taxes? I have been able to receive another source of income but want to check everything just based off salary. I am an aunt who has taken a relative in and now has custody of my brothers daughter. I want to provide a good life for her, and this area seems to be the most safest. It will be the two of us living in the NOVA area. Is this do-able?

I think Vienna is better location since its proximity to Metro and good schools. Also apartment rents are not that high. You can commute to D.C using Washington Metro. Vienna Metro Station is near by.

I just did a quick search for two bed apartments on Vienna. The following two bed one bath are available $1535 - $1585
one bed one bath - $1270 - $1335

Vienna Park Apartments - Vienna, VA 22180 | Apartments for Rent

Old 11-05-2014, 10:32 AM

658 posts, read 725,126 times
I agreed with most here. NOVA is a blood sucking state. You have to be well above 80k+ to survive here.

Old 11-05-2014, 11:49 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,181,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ameridreamNoT View Post
I agreed with most here. NOVA is a blood sucking state. You have to be well above 80k+ to survive here.
Despite the occasionally NOVA vs "ROVA" (Rest of Virginia) debates, NOVA is but its own region within the Commonwealth and an expanding one, for better or worse.

One can credit the outlying job centers of Tysons Corner, the Dulles Tech Corridor and, of course, DC for the currently steady but previous booming job market over the last decade or so for the dramatic increase in housing and other costs of living.

Last edited by FindingZen; 11-07-2014 at 06:32 PM..

Old 11-05-2014, 05:30 PM

8,827 posts, read 15,329,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ameridreamNoT View Post
I think that seems like a high number for what's needed "to survive". This is my 22nd year working in NoVA and I make just over that amount and we do ok. Granted its a two income household (my wife makes a bit less), but we are supporting a family. I have a co-worker who is a single parent and survives on a salary with fewer years than I have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia