Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 09:01 AM

7 posts, read 8,102 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am looking to upgrade my basement.

1) I will be moving my TV stand from one room to the basement, where there is a very old entertainment center (at least 20 years old) with an old tube television there. I am looking to get rid of the entertainment center and the TV, and move that stand there, but I need to buy a new TV. I'm looking at potentially a 45" to 50" TV, but I don't want to spend too much (i.e. not more than around $400 - $500). Does anyone know of any good TV deals that I could look into?

2) In the near future, I'm looking to add a bar in my basement. Currently I have an old (i.e from 2000 or 2001) liquor cabinet, which I am going to get rid of. Can anyone give an estimate on how much it would cost to get a bar installed, with hard tile floors?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 09:23 AM

6,588 posts, read 8,459,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rchak91 View Post
Hello,

I am looking to upgrade my basement.

1) I will be moving my TV stand from one room to the basement, where there is a very old entertainment center (at least 20 years old) with an old tube television there. I am looking to get rid of the entertainment center and the TV, and move that stand there, but I need to buy a new TV. I'm looking at potentially a 45" to 50" TV, but I don't want to spend too much (i.e. not more than around $400 - $500). Does anyone know of any good TV deals that I could look into?

2) In the near future, I'm looking to add a bar in my basement. Currently I have an old (i.e from 2000 or 2001) liquor cabinet, which I am going to get rid of. Can anyone give an estimate on how much it would cost to get a bar installed, with hard tile floors?

Thanks!
1.) I've found that Walmart has some of the better prices on TVs. I have a Vizio smartTV and a Samsung that we purchased from Walmart and we haven't had a bit of trouble with either.

Old 10-30-2014, 12:21 PM

7 posts, read 8,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
1.) I've found that Walmart has some of the better prices on TVs. I have a Vizio smartTV and a Samsung that we purchased from Walmart and we haven't had a bit of trouble with either.
HokieFan,

Thanks for your response!

How do you like your Vizio TV? I've heard some bad things about Vizios, but that was a while ago.

Old 10-30-2014, 12:29 PM

6,588 posts, read 8,459,051 times
I love my Vizio - probably too much. We have the LED LCD and the picture is great. We do have the issue of sun glare but that's because the TV faces windows and I don't have dark shades/curtains. It's not the TV causing the issue. I don't think you'd have that problem in a basement.

I've had it for about three years, and like I said previously, I've not had any problems with it at all. Whatever brand you go with, I do recommend getting a smart TV. I love being able to stream movies/shows through Netflix and Amazon without having to connect the computer to the TV with HDMI cables.

Old 10-30-2014, 01:39 PM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,260 posts, read 4,366,010 times
If you can hold out until Christmas time the black Friday deals are a fantastic way to get a great TV for a better price. Two years ago I got a 50" Toshiba LCD for $400 from Best Buy.

Old 10-30-2014, 01:58 PM

5,404 posts, read 16,033,150 times
I LOVE Vizio!!! It's got the best picture, especially if you're close to the screen. I got our 60" at Walmart! Wasn't too much!!

Old 10-30-2014, 02:47 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,878,087 times
There is a website called slickdeals.net where people crowdsource good deals. They have a bulletin board where you look in the TV category. You can see the good deals. I lot of them I notice are from a place called Microelectronic Center, though Amazon, Costco, and Walmart seem to have good deals as well.

My advice is consider a plasma. The picture quality of plasmas are superb, they don't burn in images like they did years ago, and they have the best blacks for dark movies. The TV industry has decided that plasmas are too expensive and not popular anymore, so they are dumping a lot of high end plasmas and that's where the bargains are for higher end TVs are.

Old 10-30-2014, 05:02 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,634,158 times
Locally, try Belmont TV. Good sales reps and the prices are generally competitive

Belmont TV LED LCD HDTV Home Theater Discount Electronics Sales Service and Installation

Old 10-30-2014, 05:06 PM

69 posts, read 80,721 times
Got this Vizio for myself and my parents. Great TV. If you have Prime on Amazon, u get it delivered to your front door for free. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 10-30-2014, 05:27 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,292,384 times
I have two LCD Vizios, 40" and 42" I believe. One is probably 5 years old, the other 2. I've not had any problems with either. The first one came from Sam's Club, the last one from Walmart. I agree with the above poster who mentioned that Black Friday is a good time to get one cheap. If you can't get the early bird steals on Black Friday, any time from then until Christmas and again in late January for the Superbowl are good times to find sales.

I picked Vizio because it has a nice picture for a cheap price, and I picked LCD over plasma because the screen doesn't reflect light nearly as badly.

My wife says she doesn't like the Vizios, but I think that's because she's never figured out how to use the remote properly. One of them works with the cable box a little differently than the other (2 different kinds of boxes), and then we have the cat who seems to like to play with the remote and mess it up. I don't think any tv would be any different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia