Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2014, 07:35 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,083,933 times

Advertisements

Anyone ever see a driver with a dog on their lap? Its illegal to text and drive but after seeing many drivers with a dog on their lap, it's a wonder how they don't get a ticket. We know dogs don't count on the HOV lanes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 07:50 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,723,135 times
Transporting a dog that is not in a harness (or a crate) should be illegal. In a collision or even just a sudden stop from high speed, the dog will go flying across the car--just as a baby or child would. We always put our dog in the back seat, in his harness, which is connected to the seatbelt.

Old 10-31-2014, 04:46 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,445,513 times
The driver with the little dog on his lap doesn't understand the airbag will kill the dog. It also severely compromises the airbag's efficiency in protecting the human.

Old 10-31-2014, 11:45 AM

9,510 posts, read 9,083,933 times
In some states, a specific law addresses this issue but I don't think Virginia has a law (or if it's even needed since distracted driving is on the books. If I was on a laptop, could summarize the number of states with specific laws on this issue.

Old 10-31-2014, 01:07 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,802,378 times
I don't understand how people can drive with dogs in their laps. But then again, I don't understand how people manage to do a lot of things (like putting on makeup when driving or reading the paper when driving, etc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Transporting a dog that is not in a harness (or a crate) should be illegal. In a collision or even just a sudden stop from high speed, the dog will go flying across the car--just as a baby or child would. We always put our dog in the back seat, in his harness, which is connected to the seatbelt.
I can't fit a crate in my car for my dog... but I bought one of those harnesses. I think you need to start them on that when they are young (my dog is 15-years-old). When I've tried to use the harness, after I get driving, she starts trying to turn around in the seat and such and ends up getting twisted, the seatbelt and harness cut into her and she starts yelping and then panicking--and I have to pull over and untangle her. I gave up trying to use it as I figured the way it was distracting me, I was going to have an accident using the thing. Luckily for me she just lies down and sleeps on the seat when we go anywhere.

Next dog I get I will have to be sure to start in a harness right away.

Old 10-31-2014, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
I can't fit a crate in my car for my dog... but I bought one of those harnesses. I think you need to start them on that when they are young (my dog is 15-years-old). When I've tried to use the harness, after I get driving, she starts trying to turn around in the seat and such and ends up getting twisted, the seatbelt and harness cut into her and she starts yelping and then panicking--and I have to pull over and untangle her. I gave up trying to use it as I figured the way it was distracting me, I was going to have an accident using the thing. Luckily for me she just lies down and sleeps on the seat when we go anywhere.

Next dog I get I will have to be sure to start in a harness right away.
We got our dog when he was about 8 years old, and he adapted to it pretty quick. It helps that the seatbelt is pretty snug; I think he feels secure in it.

If the seatbelt is cutting into her, try just looping it through the handle on the harness. It doesn't have to go across the dog's chest, since the harness does that. Long as the seatbelts goes through something on the harness, the dog is held to the seat.

You could also try having her wear the harness inside the house, and giving her lots of treats with it.

Old 10-31-2014, 03:46 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,240,235 times
There is no law in VA covering this. However, the code section for General Reckless Driving would allow an officer to charge someone if the dog in a drivers lap caused an accident or affected the driving in a way that was deemed unsafe. I've warned a few people in my years but none were serious enough to be charged.

Now to go start a thread on how to handle a bunch of squirrels.

Old 10-31-2014, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Now to go start a thread on how to handle a bunch of squirrels.
Living or stuffed?

Or in a stew?

Old 11-01-2014, 12:24 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,992,840 times
It's definitely dangerous to have any animal, or child in the driver's lap!

Old 11-01-2014, 02:14 PM

211 posts, read 409,391 times
One of the benefits of having a 150+lb Mastiff.....there is no way he can fit in my lap when driving
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia