Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 12:17 AM

2,737 posts, read 5,466,509 times

Advertisements

I think you would like Shirlington. Depending on exactly where you were, it will have all of what you want (and lots of people in your age group to 10 or so years older) except metrorail, but there are buses to metro. And you could easily get to both Ballston and Old Town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2014, 07:47 AM

32,624 posts, read 77,765,434 times
I'm going to submit another vote for the Lee Highway corridor of far North Arlington. I lived in Reston for a couple of years and briefly considered moving to The Horizons Apartments, which is at the corner of Lee Highway & North Thomas Street on the edge of the Cherrydale neighborhood. This apartment community was "dated" to an extent, but it offered relatively affordable rents and large square footage in the units. You could walk about exactly one mile down North Stafford Street to the Ballston Metrorail station to easily access the Orange Line into The District. You're a mile away from "the action" of the Orange Line Corridor; however, most people in their 30s I'm sure wouldn't mind a 20-minute walk to a place like Ballston and the Metro station if it meant they could return to peace and quiet in the evenings. There are also various small businesses lining Lee Highway that you'd be able to walk to (or quickly drive to), such as a Safeway grocery store.

Shirlington is nice as well and would be my second choice since it is roughly equidistant to either Ballston or Old Town.

Old 11-16-2014, 10:57 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,746,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
You could walk about exactly one mile down North Stafford Street to the Ballston Metrorail station to easily access the Orange Line into The District. You're a mile away from "the action" of the Orange Line Corridor; however, most people in their 30s I'm sure wouldn't mind a 20-minute walk to a place like Ballston and the Metro station if it meant they could return to peace and quiet in the evenings.
And I forgot to mention that the ART (Arlington Rapid Transit) bus goes from Court House to Ballston via Nelly Custis to Lee Highway to North Utah Street.

Old 11-16-2014, 11:45 AM

2,737 posts, read 5,466,509 times
We forgot to ask about budget. Please be aware that the locations you are interested in are pricey.

Old 11-17-2014, 07:34 PM

158 posts, read 247,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justwandering78 View Post
Thank you for your response. I was leaning toward Alexandria, just worried about the commute. It will be 3 days a week so, as long as it is tolerable, it will be worth being in an area I will like living in.
Super easy commute. You'll learn how to get to route 1 via side roads, and all of the lights are synchronized. Then you'll hop on slaters lane and cut over to the GW Parkway north of Old town (past all the lights). Once there, you'll just take it to 50W, which will be a reverse commute at that point. I used to do that same thing to get to 395 going into DC in the morning, and I could get all the way to the "NoMa" area of DC in 20-25 minutes pretty regularly.

Old 11-19-2014, 06:39 AM

771 posts, read 1,462,969 times
I like Old Town Alexandria a lot and I think it may be a better fit for you based on your post. However, I personally believe it's always best to live close to work, because ultimately going to work is the one thing we must do and we do it more often than anything else. A shorter commute = a better quality of life. Ballston is a very nice area too, and you won't have any issues getting to Alexandria one or two times a week for entertainment.

Old 11-19-2014, 02:18 PM

1,533 posts, read 2,273,003 times
Is the area you're considering in Alexandria near Hybla valley? I used to live in Alexandria, albeit many years ago, but don't think that area has gotten much nicer.

Old 11-19-2014, 02:47 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,244,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middlin View Post
Is the area you're considering in Alexandria near Hybla valley? I used to live in Alexandria, albeit many years ago, but don't think that area has gotten much nicer.
Both the thread subject and first post state Old Town Alexandria, which Hybla Valley (Fairfax County) has nothing to do with. But then I noticed the OP's statement about "around the Holland Rd area, near King St Metro" and it made me wonder just where OP was talking about. I see now that Holland Lane connects Duke St to Eisenhower Ave (going by Whole Foods). Funny that I drive that road frequently, plus occasionally shop at Whole Foods, yet didn't know the road's name.

I can conclude OP didn't mean Holland Road in the Sherwood Hall/Collingwood area.

Old 11-20-2014, 12:14 PM

1,533 posts, read 2,273,003 times
yea, I was wondering about the OP's perspective on distance, i.e. near King street metro

Old 12-07-2014, 04:00 PM

4 posts, read 9,701 times
Oops, I meant Holland Lane. I was looking at apartments in Post Carlyle. Anyways, just coming on here to update and thank everyone for their input. After a lot of consideration, I decided being close to work was most important. So, as of friday, I am a resident of Ballston in Arlington!! I'm really liking it so far and less than 2 miles from work! Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia