Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 05:55 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,016,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromReston View Post
I TOTALLY disagree!

I love the outdoor opportunities that Reston has to offer. The 55 miles of trails in Reston are great for biking around Reston or to take your bike to the Wiehle Metro station for a trip into DC. There is also the W&OD trail for biking. Lots of hiking on both sides of the river near Great Falls. There are many other places to kayak besides the Potomac. Here are a few links to check out.

https://restonbicycleclub.wildapricot.org/
Reston Runners
https://www.reston.org/ParksRecreati...4GU%2fWg%3d%3d
Reston Association - Interactive Map Guide
Home
Paddle Prattle
Canoe Cruisers Association - The Canoe and Kayak Club of Greater Washington D.C.
Great Falls Park (U.S. National Park Service)
Chesapeake & Ohio Canal National Historical Park (U.S. National Park Service)
Friends of the W&OD Trail
I love the way Northern Virginians always interpret "outdoorsy" as meaning that you can, if you are determined, find a couple of biking and kayaking options locally. Clearly you have never lived in the Pacific Northwest, which is actually "outdoorsy."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2014, 06:04 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,016,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
There are a lot of outdoor activities in the DC area. Also, Arlington is one if the most bike oriented places in the country. Your whole second paragraph was BS
No, it wasn't. I bike. I hike. I swim. I am "outdoorsy." I have lived in outdoorsy places. This is not one of them. I can't ride my bike anywhere near my home safely - the only place I can actually ride at any decent speed, safely, is WO&D, and I have to put my bike on a rack and drive it there, which takes 20 minutes. What difference does it make if Arlington is bike friendly if I live in Fairfax? And hiking? No serious hiking is happening without at least an hour drive. I am not talking about a little paved path full of strollers and lap dogs, so please don't bring up all the great hiking places in NoVa, which look just like that. Last place I lived, I could walk outside my house and have my choice of two different mountains to climb/hike up, a river to kayak in within a 5 minute drive, at least 4 different trail systems within a 10 minute drive (some walking distance), and roads that were empty enough that you could safely ride on them. That's outdoorsy. This is a suburb. Just because it has official parks and some paddling clubs does not make it outdoorsy. I can only assume that those of you who think NoVa is paradise for outdoor types are just not outdoor types.

Old 11-25-2014, 06:05 PM

22,539 posts, read 12,111,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharepoint128 View Post
(Bostonians can be tough to break the ice with, is the same true of NOVA’ians?).
Thanks
Here's the thing...my husband and I are native Bostonians and found that it was much easier to make friends there than it is in the DC area. That's not to say that it is impossible to meet new people in this area. However, it is, IMO, far more transient an area. Many times I've met people and clicked with them only to have them move away.

Old 11-25-2014, 06:10 PM

239 posts, read 282,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Here's the thing...my husband and I are native Bostonians and found that it was much easier to make friends there than it is in the DC area. That's not to say that it is impossible to meet new people in this area. However, it is, IMO, far more transient an area. Many times I've met people and clicked with them only to have them move away.

Does the NOVA area have a higher turnover than average? It seems to me that the only people who have been here for a long time (more than 5-7 years) work for the Feds (GS salaried, not contractor).

Old 11-25-2014, 06:29 PM

2,146 posts, read 3,076,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
I love the way Northern Virginians always interpret "outdoorsy" as meaning that you can, if you are determined, find a couple of biking and kayaking options locally. Clearly you have never lived in the Pacific Northwest, which is actually "outdoorsy."
Condescending, table for one?

Old 11-25-2014, 07:37 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,361,131 times
Quote:
No, it wasn't. I bike. I hike. I swim. I am "outdoorsy." I have lived in outdoorsy places. This is not one of them. I can't ride my bike anywhere near my home safely - the only place I can actually ride at any decent speed, safely, is WO&D, and I have to put my bike on a rack and drive it there, which takes 20 minutes. What difference does it make if Arlington is bike friendly if I live in Fairfax? And hiking? No serious hiking is happening without at least an hour drive. I am not talking about a little paved path full of strollers and lap dogs, so please don't bring up all the great hiking places in NoVa, which look just like that. Last place I lived, I could walk outside my house and have my choice of two different mountains to climb/hike up, a river to kayak in within a 5 minute drive, at least 4 different trail systems within a 10 minute drive (some walking distance), and roads that were empty enough that you could safely ride on them. That's outdoorsy. This is a suburb. Just because it has official parks and some paddling clubs does not make it outdoorsy. I can only assume that those of you who think NoVa is paradise for outdoor types are just not outdoor types.
Hiking options aren't 5 hours away, exaggeration much? Ever heard of great falls? Which is not just a trail either.

Also, no place on the east coast can compare to the west coast on outdoor activities. I'm talking about east coast standards, he will be getting the same amount of options or maybe even more like he did in Boston. He is not from the west coast so calm down.

Old 11-26-2014, 01:19 AM

22,539 posts, read 12,111,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blindside View Post
Does the NOVA area have a higher turnover than average? It seems to me that the only people who have been here for a long time (more than 5-7 years) work for the Feds (GS salaried, not contractor).
You are correct when it comes to government employees. Many do stay here for years. My husband worked for the government and we looked into relocation. The problem is that by working for the gov't in DC often equates to getting fitted with a pair of golden handcuffs. So, my husband noticed that if we left the area, he wouldn't be able to climb the GS ladder as far as he would here.

The people I met through the years who didn't hang around for long were all private sector employees. Many left for lower COL areas. There actually were a few people that I knew who left this area only to return and that was due, in large part, because the job market here is better than it is in many other parts of the country.

Old 11-26-2014, 04:39 AM

4,902 posts, read 7,483,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
Hiking options aren't 5 hours away, exaggeration much? Ever heard of great falls? Which is not just a trail either.

Also, no place on the east coast can compare to the west coast on outdoor activities. I'm talking about east coast standards, he will be getting the same amount of options or maybe even more like he did in Boston. He is not from the west coast so calm down.

Don't forget the Appalachian Trail goes through Loudoun/Clarke County and down the Valley.

Old 11-26-2014, 06:26 AM

2,092 posts, read 4,261,406 times
Quote:
You are right I have never lived in the Pacific Northwest. However, I am very "outdoorsy" having grown up in a county in northern Wisconsin that to this day still doesn't even have a traffic light! Though it has a National Forest and National Lakeshore.

I consider where I live in Reston to be "outdoorsy" - there are three deer in my backyard right now! Options for paved and unpaved hiking trails and a lake for paddling.

Old 11-26-2014, 06:32 AM

2,092 posts, read 4,261,406 times
Quote:
I can't ride my bike anywhere near my home safely - the only place I can actually ride at any decent speed, safely, is WO&D, and I have to put my bike on a rack and drive it there, which takes 20 minutes. What difference does it make if Arlington is bike friendly if I live in Fairfax? And hiking?
I guess you picked the wrong part of NOVA to live in. I can ride my bike safely to many places from my home. I even have several different trail options from my backyard to get me to the W&OD trail. Last year I did bike to work day and went 23 miles to my office in downtown DC on bike trails - didn't even have to get on a street at all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia