Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 09:15 AM

4 posts, read 4,819 times

Advertisements

Hello, My husband and I are looking for a great coastal town to settle down in. My husband and I are worried mainly because of the snow. We don't mind the snow and enjoy the snow, but don't want to go somewhere where we could be snowed in for several days. I really like Maine, but my husband is worried about being snowed in and the job market where we go. We have 3 young kids are oldest is 5. So of course I want it to be a good school district. We want to have that small town setting with a harbor possibly even if its within a 30 minute drive. We want it to be an affordable town as well. Anyone have any suggestions? Looking to stay along the east coast!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2014, 09:59 AM

526 posts, read 902,537 times
Sorry, but there's nothing like that in NOVA.

Old 11-29-2014, 12:22 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,685,905 times
Where will you all be working? Or is this retirement?

Old 11-29-2014, 01:00 PM

199 posts, read 334,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectorhead View Post
Sorry, but there's nothing like that in NOVA.
Pretty much this. The closest thing I can think of near our area would be the "Necks" (Northern Neck and the Middle Peninsula in particular) with access to the Potomac and Rappahannock rivers and the Chesapeake Bay, but I'd say those areas are geographically, culturally, and economically distinct from Northern Virginia. They're also quite rural and sparsely populated, so I'm not sure if that would meet your criteria of good schools and job market.

I'll put in a plug for my hometown of nearby Annapolis, MD, though. It's got a very nice historic/colonial downtown centered around the city dock, it's got a nautical heritage with the U.S. Naval Academy and has huge sailboat and powerboat shows every year - so much so it's known as "America's Sailing Capital." Great seafood too as it's right off of the Chesapeake Bay.

It's also roughly equidistant between the strong DC and Baltimore job markets, and has good public schools. The downside is awful traffic when commuting to Baltimore or DC (and even in Annapolis itself during the summer vacation rush across the Bay Bridge and the aforementioned boat shows) and it's an expensive place to live (although if you were already considering NoVa the cost of living shouldn't be a shock). Try checking the Maryland forum for more info.

Old 11-29-2014, 01:27 PM

5,404 posts, read 16,014,527 times
If you want a "salt water" coast, then Va. Beach is about it...

Colonial Beach is on the Potomac....a river town.

Old 11-29-2014, 01:34 PM

142 posts, read 273,355 times
You lost me at "affordable"....

But there is hope...

try Annapolis, MD.

Old 11-29-2014, 03:09 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,438,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris and Kristen View Post
Hello, My husband and I are looking for a great coastal town to settle down in. My husband and I are worried mainly because of the snow. We don't mind the snow and enjoy the snow, but don't want to go somewhere where we could be snowed in for several days. I really like Maine, but my husband is worried about being snowed in and the job market where we go. We have 3 young kids are oldest is 5. So of course I want it to be a good school district. We want to have that small town setting with a harbor possibly even if its within a 30 minute drive. We want it to be an affordable town as well. Anyone have any suggestions? Looking to stay along the east coast!
Need to post this under the generic Virginia, or maybe Hampton Roads Area sub instead.

Old 11-30-2014, 06:35 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,572,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris and Kristen View Post
Your questions all depend on what your jobs are?

Initially thought: Wilmington, NC

Old 11-30-2014, 08:28 AM

4,902 posts, read 7,465,446 times
A lot depends on type of work you would be seeking and your budget. Northern Virginia is a very expensive area. Your best bet would be down the Northern Neck -- maybe Tappahannock?

You may want to look at the Eastern Shore of Maryland or Virginia (called the DelMarVa peninsula).

Best of luck.

Old 11-30-2014, 08:57 AM

1,833 posts, read 2,356,584 times
Lorton? Occoquan? It's in northern VA....These places have water front homes on the potomac but what's your budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia